• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    I believe they are an invaluable tool to carry in your toolbox. I don't always use every tool, but it is nice to have them available when needed. I have Crimson Trace on my 92FS and on my wife's Bersa Thunder 380. CT doesn't make grips for my Walther P22 but it does have a laser too. I practice mostly with iron sights but also with the laser. When it comes to a life and death situation I want all the advantage I can get at my disposal.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think they make a great training tool for novice shooters, they get immediate visual feedback for every trigger jerk etc!
    Personally I prefer nights sights and a flashlight, but there's no reason to argue against them for defensive use. I don't think they'll do much for "intimidation" though, the BG will probably be looking at YOU not his chest.
    One thought about Crimson Trace laser grips: the beam is not only down, but to the right, making it harder align your POA with POI; or if you zero it for a specific distance, your more likely to miss rather than hit high/low than if you had a guide-rod laser or rail mounted unit.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    One thought about Crimson Trace laser grips: the beam is not only down, but to the right, making it harder align your POA with POI; or if you zero it for a specific distance, your more likely to miss rather than hit high/low than if you had a guide-rod laser or rail mounted unit.
    This is true. However, if you have it mounted on a close range personal defense gun, such as a 2" snub, then your encounter with the bad guy will likely be less than 10 yards, most likely 7 or less. So you should have the laser zeroed in to somewhere in that range. If he's any farther then you'd better be a good shot with iron sights, or you better switch to a longer barreled gun, otherwise you probably shouldn't take the shot yet. If he's any closer, then you don't need the laser to be accurate, or if you do then you shouldn't be carrying a gun :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    when I bought my taurus .38 ultra light, it came with ct grips. I don't have much experience with it yet, but I feel it would be a blessing in low light scenarios.

I try to practice/train without it mostly, but it's hard to when it's grip activated. I wish mine had a on/off switch to disable it.

There should be a disable switch near the base of the grips...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I have mine zeroed for 25 meters. The 1" - 2" down and right is not really that important. Real world pistol fighting as opposed to paper on the range shooting.

I have yet to find a guide rod laser that will last. And a rail mounted unit is no more accurate than the CT Grips, and it requires you to purchase special holsters...

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I am on the pro side of this arguement, although I used to be against it. I have Crimson Trace grips on my Glock23. After watching their video (posted above) I realized they are a very good defensive tool on a personal protection gun. Short and sweet and to the point, there are situations that you could possibly become part of where you cant get your gun up so you can get a good line of sight. CTC Grips eliminate that problem. You can get a zero in on your target without even looking down your sight plain. You could keep your firearm close in too your body by your hip to have protection from someone trying to take your gun from you and have the gun on target and fire. I love them and will have them on every carry gun I own.

Reese04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    I bought one for my mp40, the way i had it on my hip the botton stayed pressed and drained the battery. I ended up swapping the grips back , now i got a 300 dollar piece of plastic i dont use, plus i drove my cat crazy with it lol

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The power switch on a 1911 is on the lower left and is obvious. On other rear activations it is a recessed little dot about mid way up the rear of the grip, below the activation button. It is recessed to Avoid accidental press.

I have used both styles for a while. None of them allow for a false power on. I can't see any way in the world to make it stay on and drain.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    to each is his own. if you dont like em.....dont use em. but dont knock those who do. ill outshoot most of ya with my tiny EMP 9 w/o laser but i still like them on some guns. so dont give me that "it makes me a bad shot" bs. that $hi+s for the birds man

i just put one on my kahr p9 that is my EDC and ordered a set of used CT grips for my sig 220 which is my nightstand gun. I LOVE EM!!!! and i paid $180 for the laserguard new and $150 for CT grips used. if you shop around they can be had new for in the low $200 range. just my :twocents:

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I just purchased CT for my LCR and have not yet had a chance to fire it. Thanks for the links to the CT website videos-- makes me feel much better about spending so much for them.

Reese04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    The power switch on a 1911 is on the lower left and is obvious. On other rear activations it is a recessed little dot about mid way up the rear of the grip, below the activation button. It is recessed to Avoid accidental press.

I have used both styles for a while. None of them allow for a false power on. I can't see any way in the world to make it stay on and drain.

Besides playing with the cat with it , maybe the guy sold me one they used alot in the store, so the battery was already low? Besides I like the one on my Sig P220 better, it has a on off switch along with the pressure plate. The one on my .40 did not have a switch, just a pressure button on back strap

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Lasers can serve as a very useful complement to iron sights (not a replacement), or as an alternative for people with vision problems that do not allow them to use iron sights effectively.

Most people who dismiss lasers don't really understand how or why to use them properly. Some on the other end of the spectrum don't understand that lasers only help with aligning the gun properly; they don't do anything to help the most critical elements of marksmanship: trigger control and follow-through.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have had my Taurus M85 since the early 90's. I have shot it a lot over the years and swapped on and off as my EDC. Just put a set of CT grips on this winter. I liked the idea and figured I would give them a try.

I love them! They are a little costly, but then again since I plan to have the gun for many more years it's all good.

Can I hit better with them in odd angles and positions... you bet. If I set up and take controlled shots it's a little distracting because I do find myself watching the dot until I think about the shot.

On a related note the LG-185 Defender grips do not have a switch for on/off. This is what I have because I wanted the smaller and less sticky grips for this little shooter.

Top Bottom