• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juris gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Greetings all,

its been awhile since since I posted on here (law school and work demands), so my apologies, but I needed some help from you fine people. I am looking to get my LTCH, but have some questions that I think you all may be able to answer for me. I currently live in Indianapolis (my girlfriend purchased a home here, yet I am not on the deed), but my current residence is here. The issue here is that I am from Pennsylvania and while I do live here permanently now, I just renewed my PA drivers license back home two weeks ago ( I wanted to maintain my motorcycle license because to get my Indiana License would be to pass the test and no offense, but the computer test here is a bit of a doozy..). I also have my current PA LTCH but that has to be renewed every 5 years. So my question to you all, is do I have to have a current Indiana drivers license in order to get my Indiana LTCH? I would just prefer to keep my PA one as it is now good until 2019. (Would be a waste of money to get rid of it now). I already had my fingerprints done, have proof of residency here, and am in law school here. Do I need an Indiana license to get the Indiana LTCH or will they issue with an out of state license but other proof of residency (bill statements, proof of taxes paid to the State of Indiana, Law school transcripts)? Thanks to you all !!

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You realize, I hope, that once you established residency in Indiana, the clock is ticking on your 60 day window to obtain an Indiana DL. See this URL:

BMV: New Indiana Residents

So regardless of the expiration on your PA license, once you reach the 60 days you are in violation of Indiana law. That, of course, is incompatible with an Indiana LTCH and presenting a PA DL to the local police or sheriff office when you need to get their sign-off is going to be an issue.

My suggestion is that you bite the bullet and get an Indiana DL right away. The MC endorsement is no big deal. If you have a MC endorsement on your PA license you need only pass the super easy Indiana Motorcycle written test. No riding test is needed.

Juris gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Thank you for the response, maybe I should have clarified; I am still technically a Pennsylvania resident (here for educational purposes..) so I didn't think that I had to drop my PA license since my domicile is still technically Pennsylvania.

Juris gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    I guess my question would be is the IN LTCH like the Utah LTCH where they issue to OOS residents as long as they either pass a class or can prove residency..

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    IANAL but since you are still a PA resident with a DL and a LTCH, you should be ok for carrying in IN. With that being said, the Motorcycle endorsement (riding test) is easy. If you have been riding for any amount of time, you will be ok. BMV: Motorcycle Skills Testing

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Technically' a PA resident? Where do you 'technically' sleep? Unless you're commuting back and forth regularly, you're residing in Indiana, hence the residency requirement beyond 60 days.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    'Technically' a PA resident? Where do you 'technically' sleep? Unless you're commuting back and forth regularly, you're residing in Indiana, hence the residency requirement beyond 60 days.

I would think it doesn't matter where he sleeps, he's here going to school, so he is not a resident.
    Do you honestly think everyone that comes to IN to go to school gets an IN drivers License?
    OP, IANAL, but I would call the ISP # and ask them since you are a student from out of state with a valid LTCH from your home state if you could legally carry.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If I'm not mistaken there is a section of IN law regarding students and residency. The BMV summarizes it here:

BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements

IF you are a student you can be excepted from the residency requirements. But I think you will not have success obtaining an Indiana LTCH with an out-of-state DL. You can apply for an Indiana non-resident LTCH but if you have a PA license, Indiana recognizes that.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I guess my question would be is the IN LTCH like the Utah LTCH where they issue to OOS residents as long as they either pass a class or can prove residency..

Indiana has no training requirement for LTCH the say Utah and some other states do. Basically you just fill out the form, get fingerprinted, pay the money, and the Indiana State Police does a background check and if you are a proper person, they will issue a license. Non-Resident permits are similar except that you can't get the lifetime option.

Top Bottom