• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am sure this has been asked so I am sorry if it is a repeat. I have shot guns my entire life but after a little event the other evening at dinner in Indy, I find myself needing to teach my wife to shoot a handgun and carry safely.

My dilemma is, what should a lady start with. I have 22 revolvers but I am looking at getting her either a .38 revolver or else a Ruger SR9. I kind of want an SR40 for myself and thought the 9 might work well for a lady to learn.

Is the 40 too much for a petite lady? How about the 9? Any advice appreciated. I just don't want to take her out and have her get knocked down or her nose broke and never want to shoot again....although I chuckled as I typed that, how terrible :dunno:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I would let her take the .22 revolvers out and get confy with her handeling, holstering and everything in between, step her up to a 9mm and if she wants to try a .40 then go from there.
    you won't be carrying the gun so don't make the decision for her, let her do it herself.
    she will feel involved and most likely become a bigger fan of guns!
    I don't think there is a big difference between the 9 and 40. but it's whatever she likes the most..

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Best thing you can do is head to a range that rents guns and let her get some basic instructions with every kind of pistol she can get her hands on and shoot. Some other members can point you to a range that can take care of you both. Good luck.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I am sure this has been asked so I am sorry if it is a repeat. I have shot guns my entire life but after a little event the other evening at dinner in Indy, I find myself needing to teach my wife to shoot a handgun and carry safely.

My dilemma is, what should a lady start with. I have 22 revolvers but I am looking at getting her either a .38 revolver or else a Ruger SR9. I kind of want an SR40 for myself and thought the 9 might work well for a lady to learn.

Is the 40 too much for a petite lady? How about the 9? Any advice appreciated. I just don't want to take her out and have her get knocked down or her nose broke and never want to shoot again....although I chuckled as I typed that, how terrible :dunno:

Check out the women and firearms forum here. Lot of ladies here on the board who have an incredible knowledge of firearms and can be of a lot of help in helping arm that special someone. :)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man guys, again I sure appreciate your guidance. You all gave me such a better answer than some have. I have had some guys try to talk me out of teaching her to shoot at all....but those days are over, she is learning.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Man guys, again I sure appreciate your guidance. You all gave me such a better answer than some have. I have had some guys try to talk me out of teaching her to shoot at all....but those days are over, she is learning.

I'd rather see her getting into it ad spreading the word to all her lady friends! :rockwoot:

just because i'm a prevert and like to see attractive women at the range instead of all you stinky men.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I normally call up some buddy's for shoot and tell when we want a new gun. That's the best way to see what you like the wives and ladies are no different. Grandma has carried a colt 45lc revolver stuffed in a big purse since before I was born. My mother packs a 32acp savage 1907 and my wife carries a sig p220 45acp just shows you never know till you try one.

gearheadwilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I recently took my wife to the range, after shopping the store she picked an m&p 9mm compact to rent and i thought it was a good choice so we went back and after much effort and patients on her part she still couldn't consistently group shots, she asked to shoot my weapon (Xdm full size 40.) i immediately handed it over cuz sleeping on the couch sucks! She instantly went to tack driving accuracy, just shows how its all about individual comfort and feel.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

9mm is a good round for women. I have instructed nearly 100 ladies in different classes and I have seen exactly 1 shot a .38 well. My first hand observations is that the 9mm is the way to go over the .38. It probably has more to do with the trigger than the recoil, but the recoil is a significant part of the problem.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    1. Use the forum here as a resource for information, particularly the one pertaining to women and firearms.

2. Use youtube, there are some fantastic videos by women for men to help them understand what their wives may be feeling.

3. Talk to your wife! Apprehension and fear can play big parts in the psyche of any human, your assurances and communication will be appreciated by her.

4. As for suggestions, they would all be situational, is your wife wanting to learn? If she wants to learn to shoot you can start her off with a traditional round for defense like the 9mm and go up, down, or stay at that level as her comfort dictates. If she's not actively seeking to learn then I'd suggest 22lr as it's a fairly innocuous round with noise and recoil.

gearheadwilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I recently took my wife to the range, after shopping the store she picked an m&p 9mm compact to rent and i thought it was a good choice so we went back and after much effort and patients on her part she still couldn't consistently group shots, she asked to shoot my weapon (Xdm full size 40.) i immediately handed it over cuz sleeping on the couch sucks! She instantly went to tack driving accuracy, just shows how its all about individual comfort and feel.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i think a steel gun like a hi power(very thin grip) in 9mm would be good start over the light weight polymer guns, i cant think of any women i know of that can't handle a steel 9mm, though my 13 sister handles my dads Walther p22 really well maybe that would be a better start than anything if she likes auto loaders.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Women and Guns

My wife was scared to death of them when we got married thanks to an ******* x husband. Now after she decided that guns are a way of life with me ( she knew it before ) the curiosity was gone then please teach me. Well the stipulation was I will but you will get turned over to a trusted friend or NRA instructor because I will miss something. Well a few thousand rounds and lots of toys I found the secret. Find one that is FUN. Fun fixes it. The fun gun was my old battered S&W flat latch that shoots 38 S&W rounds. She has spent 2 days at the broken wheel ranch under the instruction of Jim Heath graduated was taught to shoot a shotgun by a champion cowboy action shooter and dear friend has shot everything we can put in her girlie hands. Glocks, Kimbers, Colts, Smiths, military rifles,sub 2000, M1A1, probably more than most men. Remember FUN but don't forget safety. It's her gun but she could be saving your life with it. I am proud of my wife and yes a lucky guy she goes to the gun shows with me and has a collection of pink pocket knifes too.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    One caliber that hasn't been mentioned: .22Magnum. It's been just the ticket for my wife. I know, it's far from perfect, but it's a whole lot better than just a .22LR round. And my wife is setting the parameters for what she will or won't shoot/carry.

It's better than no rock!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I think a 22 revolver is a great starting gun for anyone. Use it to teach safety, gun handling, proper grip and such. Don't just take her or anyone to the range and say here ya go fire away. Spend some time dry firing, while teaching the 4 golden rules.

You can even start at home with a safe unloaded weapon giving adequate time for her to become comfortable handling the gun.

The ass hats that take a new shooter out and hand them a 44mag because they think it's funny should be tared and feathered.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I started big with the wife at a range and let her try each size on her own.
    Literally with the .500.. pretty much just for fun. :D

She liked the Bersa .380 the best. 1911 was too much kick back for her.
    .38 Revolver was nice, but a little bulky for her purse.:n00b:

Eveyone is different.. but in agreement with the others, have her try them out and pick for herself.

Top Bottom