• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    I'm in the market for a 1911, my only stipulation is that it has a rail and be all black. I'm not looking to spend a lot at first maybe $600-800, I wanna do the upgrades myself so I can fully customize what I get.

My question first though is if I get say a 600-800 dollar pistol over a 1500+, can it be reasonably upgraded to match that 1500+ pistol? Or will it cost a lot more to match a more quality custom 1911. Hopefully this makes since.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think the Sig Tac Pac would fit your requirements nicely

SIG SAUER 1911 TACPAC 45ACP WITH TAC RAIL, FACTORY LASER, 2 MAGAZINES for sale (997983474)

I have one of these and see no need to upgrade it. great shooting gun with a nice trigger and it falls in or near your price range if you can find one.

There are somethings about $1500.00 guns you can upgrade to and somethings you cant or at least would cost to much to be practical. You can upgrade internal components but the real difference between quality levels is the type of steel used the barrel quality and the build tolerances.

I will say this though unless you are a very proficient shooter it would be sometime before you feel that the Sig is limiting your shooting right out of the box

Chris m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    When ever I go to buy a 1911 I always check to see how tight it is. Check the barrel bushing and slide and then if you happy with that just polish all the contact points and it should be a good gun

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was going to say Sig TacOps. Not sure what the difference is between the TacPac that Allen posted and the TacOps, but I picked a TacOps up for $800. It is a fantastic gun. I'm not that good of a shot, but it made me look like one. I was ringing some Bobcat Steel at 50+ yards (33% ISPC silhouette). Not saying that is hard, but for my first time out with the pistol, I was very impressed. I've always been an XD/M&P guy, but this pistol has me seeking out other Sigs. Good luck.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm in the market for a 1911, my only stipulation is that it has a rail and be all black. I'm not looking to spend a lot at first maybe $600-800, I wanna do the upgrades myself so I can fully customize what I get.

My question first though is if I get say a 600-800 dollar pistol over a 1500+, can it be reasonably upgraded to match that 1500+ pistol? Or will it cost a lot more to match a more quality custom 1911. Hopefully this makes since.

The only problem is there aren't that many rail pistols available for what you want to pay. There are basically Taurus and Rock Island and if you sink a bunch of money into them you still just have a Taurus and Rock Island, not worth it. I would stretch your money if you can and get a Colt or Springfield rail gun for 1000.00 to 1100.00 range (or the Sig if the non-1911 appearance doesn't bother you).

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    The only problem is there aren't that many rail pistols available for what you want to pay. There are basically Taurus and Rock Island and if you sink a bunch of money into them you still just have a Taurus and Rock Island, not worth it. I would stretch your money if you can and get a Colt or Springfield rail gun for 1000.00 to 1100.00 range (or the Sig if the non-1911 appearance doesn't bother you).

^^^This

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    AllenM and Drillsgt know their 1911s. I think if it were me I'd save a bit more and start off with a little higher quality pistol. Sure you can buy one of the multitude of entry level 1911s available now and build from there but I think you'd be better off starting with quality and save the cost and frustration of trying to build your own. A nice used Sig, Kimber, Colt or S&W could be found in the $700-800 range. YMMV :twocents:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    First question "How good of a gunsmith are you". To upgrade a 1911 if you don't have the knowledge/ability you will have to pay for all upgrades. Go to Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk or other high $ 1911 and look at what is standard between them. They all have good triggers. The low ball 1911 you are talking can have a good trigger also but you pay to get it there. To get a good trigger pull you will spend $100 or better for gunsmith work and parts, more like $200-$300. Most high dollar guns will have the front strap checkered, you are looking at $. Good after market safety will increase your cost. Just about every part changed is running up charges. You should be able to change springs but they increase your cost. Go for the $1000-$1500 gun getting a lot of the upgrades. I have seen custom guns cost $3000+ the cost of the gun. Unless you are in the top 50 or so competitors I don't see the need for the top shelf gun to cut .01-.03 sec off your time.

Buy the best 1911 you can as it will save you some money down the road. I have played with 1911's since mid 1950's. The standard 1911's you can buy today are better and shoot better than the custom 1911's of old and they are cheaper. A good custom 1911 would cost 3-4 months pay and not run as good as a factory gun today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    AllenM and Drillsgt know their 1911s. I think if it were me I'd save a bit more and start off with a little higher quality pistol. Sure you can buy one of the multitude of entry level 1911s available now and build from there but I think you'd be better off starting with quality and save the cost and frustration of trying to build your own. A nice used Sig, Kimber, Colt or S&W could be found in the $700-800 range. YMMV :twocents:

Totally agree with these suggestions. I found a sweet S&W 1911 PD just nodth of the range Colt556 suggests. It is the ultra light frame, railed, black offering and it runs perfectly.

Top Bottom