• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I think that is only for secured areas of the vehicle like a trunk or toolbox. I think the inside of the cab is far game with suspicion! But I'm not 100% sure!

Only if the officer can see it. If it is tucked under the seat or something out of sight he would need permission to search.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I think that is only for secured areas of the vehicle like a trunk or toolbox. I think the inside of the cab is far game with suspicion! But I'm not 100% sure!

Depends on what his suspicion is based on. If the suspicion is that they want to go fishing, then no, they can't search anywhere, trunk or passenger compartment, without permission. If they have a real suspicion based on some real evidence of a crime, then they don't need permission to search anywhere.

NOT a lawyer, but I've always been under the impression that any driver of a vehicle is responsible for anything in that vehicle. If the gun is there, and driver (borrower) does not have a LTCH, he's in trouble. (again, supposition on my part)

My understanding is it is the drivers responsiblilty unless it is under direct control of another passenger in the vehicle (like stuck in their waistband or pocket). I think I even remember that someone got in trouble who was a passenger & the gun was directly under that persons seat even though the gun belonged to the driver.

Just goes to show that if the 'bone-heads' ;) want to jack you up for something it will be pretty easy unless you wear a halo.

No offense, but If kept a handgun in my vehicle, there would be no chance of my loaning that vehicle with the handgun in it.

Probably good advice.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's been my experience that most folks with "halo" tendencies usually end up having the halo slip and getting hung with it.

There are usually several ways to get what you ask for. :popcorn:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Yes if they are pulled over and a gun is found they are going to jail! I have left my gun in the car and my wife has taken off in it for whatever reason, I later remembered and told her not to speed and be careful because the gun was in the glove box, the last thing you want to do is open the glove box to get your info and the cop see a gun.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I recall correctly, the son of one of my dad's former coworkers went to jail for this very reason. Don't make someone else risk their freedom on whether they will run into a sympathetic officer.

Top Bottom