• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So far, I really like alot of what Taurus handguns have going for them. They seemed to be packed with extra features, and all within an extremely competitave price range. And the lifetime free service warranty really apeals to me too. But I wont say I have my heart set on a Taurus.

So far, I really like the 1911 models. And I'm pretty taken by the Taurus PT945 as well. And I'd really like to feel the difference between the .38 super 1911's and the .45 ACP's. And of course, the same situation with the 945, between .40 and the .45.

If anyone has any useful information for me, please post. :)

I had one of the Taurus PT945's, biggest piece of **** I've ever owned. Honestly, I would avoid Taurus altogether. Get one and you'll find out about their warrenty service. :twocents:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would also recommend the .45 over the 38 super, you will have an easier time finding .45 also Midwest owns a gun rage in Elkhart and they do rent guns just not sure what ones they rent!!

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    You had mentioned earlier that you are planning on using this gun for home defense and carry. Are you going to get a smaller 1911 or full size. Unless your planning on open-carrying I would recommend getting a smaller size frame gun so you take it everywhere instead of leaving it at home because its annoying. What worse could happen if, God forbid, something would happen and you left your sidearm at home?

As for other guns, have you thought about Sigs? They are steel framed, but more expensive, if you waited and saved up it might be worth it. I would also recommend shooting a glock, xd, or some other comparable polymer framed pistol in either 9mm or .45 cal. Both the 9 and the 45 have a recoil that feels alike (kinda sluggish compared to the snappy .40) but the .45 just has heavier recoil than the 9mm.

As to those youtube videos the vast majority of the time those kabooms as we call them are done people who reload. Usually this is because these people either are not paying attention to what they are doing, or they make a mistake. The 2 main things a reloader can do to cause a round to "kaboom" are 1) the reloader puts way too much powder in the case causing the case to rupture when its fired, and 2) the reloader puts way too little powder into the case causing the powder to detonate instead of burn like normal. Either way polymer frame or not the shooter will be in pain, maybe a little less with the steel frame but I really don't know.

I hope all this helps

I hadn't thought of carry size. One thing I wanted to do though is get a 2 inch .38 spc revolver, perhaps at the same time or shortly after. They're all priced perfectly, and seem perfect for a lower leg carry position. So as far as carrying, I think I've got that covered either way.

I've not looked into the sigs, but I'll take a look tonight, and hopefully the range I go to rent from has some for me to fire.
    I plan on making a trip north sometime next Wednesday (Only have one class on Wednesday, a lab, and it was canceled. Perfect. :P)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Give Roby's Bullseye Gunshop in Kokomo a call. They have a huge selection of used handguns. If you are in the market for one, they will let you test fire some on their indoor range. Their number is 765-459-0077.

McDonald's Gun shop, east of Gas City also has a large selection of handguns and Jeff is very helpful to new buyers. Their number is 765-664-8731.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Give Roby's Bullseye Gunshop in Kokomo a call. They have a huge selection of used handguns. If you are in the market for one, they will let you test fire some on their indoor range. Their number is 765-459-0077.

McDonald's Gun shop, east of Gas City also has a large selection of handguns and Jeff is very helpful to new buyers. Their number is 765-664-8731.

McDonald's Guns is where I buy most of my ammo from. :P But he's not big on testing any of his guns. I'll give the Kokomo shop a call. Thanks. :)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    McDonald's Guns is where I buy most of my ammo from. :P But he's not big on testing any of his guns. I'll give the Kokomo shop a call. Thanks. :)

Hey, FYI if you are going to be in Kokomo and you have your LTCH
    (license to carry handgun/aka gun permit) and need it laminated
    come by my shop and I'll get you fixed up for free. :twocents:

Welcome! :ingo:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Well, there you go, folks. He's a new guy, but he's a thinker, and he's already resisted the Glock "Come to the dark side, we have cookies!" BS. I think he's a winner! Do try out the Sigs. Particularly the 226 and 226. If you really like the .45s, they make a 220 which is, to some, the standard. Also make nice 1911 styles. Pricey, yes. But keep your eyes open here and on GB and you might be surprised at what you can find. And from fairmount, you can about go to Elkhart or Indy either way, can't you? That shop in Ko sounds good.
    Anyhoo, welcome, and remember, we love pictures! So show us what you end up getting!

KahrFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Speedway
    If you don't have any friends that shoot, I would recommend (I'll warn you they are overpriced on almost everything) Don's guns. They do have a nice variety of guns to rent. I would handle a bunch first to see what feels right. Start with a 9mm.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I haven't read through all of the answers to your post, but you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or Glock 26. 9MM is not hard to find and shooting is cheaper than some of the larger calibers. If you decide it isn't for you, you should have no trouble selling the Glock 19 or 26. I own a Taurus 605 (revolver) and I carried it as primary concealed carry until I bought my Glock 26. Out of the box I shot the Glock better than the 605. That may have more to do with me and my experiences with a automatic. I own a Beretta 92 FS Compact and carried the Beretta in the Air Force. I had limited revolver experience when I bought it. The nickel finish looks a bit worn already. It certainly is not Smith and Wesson quality in a J-frame (snubnose). My advice: Pass on a Taurus and go for a Glock. You can always pick up a used Taurus later if you get a good price and an itch to buy. Anyone concer or think this is poor advice?

Top Bottom