• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyboy49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    I am headed to Florida this weekend. I have an Indiana LTCH and a Indiana drivers licence and over 21 years of age. Can I carry in the state of Florida. The way I read the regs is yes I can. Thanks for all of your help.
    Greg

Last edited:

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    All of the above correct. I justed moved from Indy to Ft. Lauderdale last month.
    No Open Carry
    Must Conceal
    Florida reciprocates, or honors, Indiana CCW
    Dont have to have a license to carry in your vehicle.
    Local LEO recommends carrying!
    Enjoy the weather, although its pretty hot right now.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Floida does honor Indiana LTCH permits...

Just be very careful in route - and be mindful of Federal law, specifically 18 USC 1-44-926A:

"§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Are you flying or driving? If you are driving you also have to research the states you will be moving through also. I.E. When Indygunworks and I drove to Texas in July we had to stop at the border and unload and lock up our handguns before entering the state of IL. Both to Tx and back to In.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Just be very careful in route - and be mindful of Federal law, specifically 18 USC 1-44-926A:

"§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Just make sure you are driving through states that recognize Indiana's license to carry and you'll be good to go.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Actually, the "notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof" language of section 926A addresses that point. If you comply with 926A, you're good to go.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Actually, the "notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof" language of section 926A addresses that point. If you comply with 926A, you're good to go.

There is a difference between carrying and transporting. If you want to carry a concealed firearm between IN and FL, you need to research the carry laws and permit reciprocity of the states you plan to travel through en route to FL.

In January me and three friends drove from IN to FL and carried the entire way. We passed through KY, TN, GA and FL. However, each state has slightly different carry laws and I had to print off summaries of each of them B4 we left.

Things to look out for are: rest stop carry (Y or N), carry in bars/restaurants (Y or N), duty to inform and LEO (Y or N), etc.

I used Handgunlaw.us for my data.

Note that FL only recognizes IN resident permits. Further, I am not a lawyer and you should do your own research.

Safe travels....

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    There is a difference between carrying and transporting. If you want to carry a concealed firearm between IN and FL, you need to research the carry laws and permit reciprocity of the states you plan to travel through en route to FL.

In January me and three friends drove from IN to FL and carried the entire way. We passed through KY, TN, GA and FL. However, each state has slightly different carry laws and I had to print off summaries of each of them B4 we left.

Things to look out for are: rest stop carry (Y or N), carry in bars/restaurants (Y or N), duty to inform and LEO (Y or N), etc.

I used Handgunlaw.us for my data.

Note that FL only recognizes IN resident permits. Further, I am not a lawyer and you should do your own research.

Safe travels....
    I couldn't agree more. My point was that it's safest (legally) to transport the gun in accordance with Federal law, in which case the reciprocity rules of any particular state you pass through in route don't matter. If you want to CARRY in route, that's an entirely different matter, and the reciprocity rules mean everything.

Top Bottom