Question for LEO's about taking illegal guns off the street?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I was wondering if there are any LEO's on here that could tell me why when a gun is stolen from a vehicle or a home they don't usually dust for prints. I would think it would probably help to prevent some violent crimes. Just wondering:dunno:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I would think any time a gun is stolen there is great potential in it being used in a violent crime. If they dusted for prints every time a gun is stolen and perhaps had stricter penalties for these criminal stealing guns rather than lets say a DVD player it would help curb some more serious crimes in the future. I could be wrong.....

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IMHO it is a cost/benefit equation. If they dust for prints, and get a bunch, then they have to go and eliminate every single print they collect before they might find one that belonged to the thief. That's to say that there are a lot of folks' prints who are likely to be in your home/car, not just you and the thief. It would take a significant amount of resources to conduct that kind of investigation and probably wouldn't be seen as "worth it" for a burglary, even if a gun was involved. :twocents:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I am not an LEO, but I recall haveing my car broken into back in college (ok dating myself ... 20 yrs go) ... the culprit left a screwdriver. I didn't handle w/ bare hands, but I was told that prints would only help if they had someone to compare them too. I know that scan / comparison abilities of computers are much better; but that could be the reason. If they don't have anything to compare to there is no point ... the amount of comparing (prints from crimes to known criminal print data bases) would be huge and require a huge amount of computer power. ... its not as easy as TV makes it seem.

Just a thought.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I am not an LEO, but I recall haveing my car broken into back in college (ok dating myself ... 20 yrs go) ... the culprit left a screwdriver. I didn't handle w/ bare hands, but I was told that prints would only help if they had someone to compare them too. I know that scan / comparison abilities of computers are much better; but that could be the reason. If they don't have anything to compare to there is no point ... the amount of comparing (prints from crimes to known criminal print data bases) would be huge and require a huge amount of computer power. ... its not as easy as TV makes it seem.

Just a thought.

Stupid CSI Miami has duped me again!!! :xmad::laugh:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Think what it would cost to have CSI investigate every burglery and theft. It's a simple matter of bang for the buck.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Stupid CSI Miami has duped me again!!! :xmad::laugh:

Pretty Close to the Truth. I remember when AFIS came on line it was supposed to be the cure. Well it isn't. Fingerprint our Illegal Brothers with their 6 or so supposed Legal Names, add a few aliases, stolen ID and AFIS rarely came up with a correct match. Junk In, Junk Out. The old timers were meticulous in taking their prints and quality has seemed to escape us nowadays :rolleyes:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yes, but at least they would have the evidence if a suspect ever developed. if you have it privately done, i dont think its admissible in court, but still could help out down the road. if it was my own **** that was stolen, it would be done.
    maybe there are usable prints of the thief or thieves, and maybe there arent. but if its there, i would want to have it.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I know people who will do it for you if your interested. (unless this is all hypothetical). there are ways to catch your guy without the police if they wont act.

A pair of cement boots will keep them from taking any more guns...

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Yeah, I've had people want rocks and bricks dusted. I've also been told I need to reconstruct shattered automotive glass windows and get prints from them. We aren't CSI and I don't have ten years to try to put a glass window back together for no reason.

but...they do it in less than an hour on TV!!!
    :):

i had a firearm stolen in a break-in many years ago, and the detective dusted for prints. i lived in Broadripple and the old ladies across the street saw the guy, ...and knew him from church.
    The police never recovered the pistol, but the "suspect" was dumb enough to stay in the area after he'd been fingered and I found him about a week later...
    you can't fix crackhead. crackhead is just plain broke.

Top Bottom