Question for LEO's about LTCH encounters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I will (someday) receive my LTCH and will carry almost allways,
    probably concealed.

What would you prefer a LTCH holder tell you when a traffic stop or a
    foot encounter begins?

All I want is to go on about my day.

What do you prefer?

Thanks Jimmy

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm not a LEO, but keep it in it's holster and follow the directions of the officer. In the event you're stopped or approached for something other than your firearm I wouldn't mention/worry about it.

In the event they do see your firearm, you would simply provide your LTCH if they wanted to see it.

If you have it concealed, unless they run your license they're not going to know you could be carrying unless you have a different definition for the word 'concealed' than most.

There are plenty of LEOs on this forum, I'm sure a few will chime in eventually.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Speaking on behalf of the LE community, we prefer that you scream, "I have a gun!", and move quickly to retrieve and surrender it. Alternatively, you could offer sweet, sweet pastries and grovel on your hands and knees in a show of subservience. Extra points for "Please place jack boots here" embroidered on the back of your collar.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Speaking on behalf of the LE community, we prefer that you scream, "I have a gun!", and move quickly to retrieve and surrender it. Alternatively, you could offer sweet, sweet pastries and grovel on your hands and knees in a show of subservience. Extra points for "Please place jack boots here" embroidered on the back of your collar.
    :laugh:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my feeling is the responses you'll get in this thread, due to the nature of our little community here - you'll get responses that are less than representative of the majority of LEOs.

subscribed anyway.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Massad Ayoob did a very informative video on this. Personally, I like to keep quiet unless an officer asks and when they do I follow Massad's advice. I have never once had an unpleasant encounter with officers about a firearm (other than the university police, but that's a long story) when following his advice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVReVYMLH7E[/ame]

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    How I react and how I would like others to react :

If at night, I turn on dome light. (I have tinted windows so I roll down rear window on drivers side to) Hands on steering wheel. As soon as officer approaches and does his into, I explain that I have an Indiana carry permit and that I currently have a firearm (not gun) secured in a holster on my waistband. Follow instructions and if I have to reach for something like license or registration, explain what I am doing and where I will be reaching.

Don't get that to much since I paid for FOP plates a few years ago, but was stopped last year and did the same.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN

^^THIS!!! You won't find an LEO to argue against this response. At least not on this board

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

^^THIS!!! You won't find an LEO to argue against this response. At least not on this board
    Wrong. The embroidering should be on the side of the collar. It's impossible to see the look of fear and pain with your boot on the back of their neck.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I will never inform, unless I am asked to step out of the truck. Whether I am CC'ing or OC'ing, I will not inform just because. Last time I got pulled over I was OC'ing, with about six weapons sitting on the back seat. LEO looked in back and said nothing. I see no reason to make a LEO nervous by bringing it up. I am obeying the law carrying while I drive. Should I also tell the officer that I have $40 in my pocket when I get pulled over? Should I also tell the officer that I have a circular saw in my truck when I get pulled over?

How is carrying any different?

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    How is carrying any different?

A good question, but I believe the video poster earlier was a good answer to this.

Unlike the saw or the items in the backseat, the gun is potentially an immediate threat to the officer or an immediate threat to you if the officer notices it under at a bad moment.

For example, I carry on my right hip and have my wallet on my right butt-cheek. What if the supporting officer notices it just as I a reaching for my wallet? What if a breeze blows back my vest just as I am reaching for my cell phone?

I have and always will hand over my LTCH with my license. It just puts the issue to rest and so long as you are cooperative and compliant with the officer, everything goes smoothly.

Heck, had a county guy ask what I was carrying. When I responded it was a Glock Gen 4 (they were very new at the time) we hit it off since they carried the Gen 3's.

Arod529

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    I don't know Indiana laws, but in my state it is required by law to immediately inform the officer if you are carring a conceled firearm on your person. I personally think that informing, if not required, shows an extra measure of cooperation and respect.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Do not inform in Indiana unless your weapon is visible. That is my rule, and it has never failed me.

What is the point of a law to inform? Would someone with an illegal gun inform? No. Would a cop killer inform? No! So it is another dumbass law that results in entrapment for otherwise law abiding citizens. Total BS.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Do not inform in Indiana unless your weapon is visible. That is my rule, and it has never failed me.

What is the point of a law to inform? Would someone with an illegal gun inform? No. Would a cop killer inform? No! So it is another dumbass law that results in entrapment for otherwise law abiding citizens. Total BS.

Personally, I do it case by case. If the officer is respectful and cordial, I will inform. This is to show respect and possibly have a positive conversation. If the officer comes off as an ******* they are never the wiser. In the end, it's personal choice and only you have to live with the consequences.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I really don't see how anything good could come of you informing. It makes an issue out of something that isn't an issue. Like i said, if you were a bad person, you wouldn't inform. So unless the officer asks me, I see no reason to inform at all. I'm no threat to him. Informing for no reason is like saying "I have a gun, it might shoot someone!" Frankly, if I were a cop, I'd think someone were either a noob, or a bit unstable if they announced they had a gun for no reason, and then I might decide to pat them down or something more invasive.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know Indiana laws, but in my state it is required by law to immediately inform the officer if you are carring a conceled firearm on your person. I personally think that informing, if not required, shows an extra measure of cooperation and respect.

Really? Nobody's taken a swing at this one yet? Wow.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I would see nothing big about anyone having a firearm on them... it's your right and as long as it's done legally, it's fine. I think the driver sets the tone of that conversation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If its concealed and not apt to be seen, then its up to you. If its somewhere you are about to reach, you don't want it to be a surprise to me.

As an example, if you have a pistol sitting in your glovebox on top of your registration, tell me. If you just reach for it without saying anything, I'm getting you out of your car at gunpoint. I know, I've done it.

On the other side, I've had people tell me immediately that they were armed and hand me their permit. I told them to leave their hands on their steering wheel while I was away from the car and didn't take the weapon. Other officers will take it for the duration of the stop. Twice I've had to end up taking the gun anyway, both was because the person had a warrant (neither violent, one was traffic and the other was check fraud).

Indiana doesn't require you inform, just have some common sense about it and ask what you'd think about your actions.

Top Bottom