• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    First I am not asking for legal advice other than opinion.

I looked up the 3 day cancellation policy for Indiana, not as clear cut as I thought it was :

A contract can be cancelled if the merchant’s return policy allows returns after the purchase date or if there is a law that provides consumers with a right to cancel the transaction. Indiana’s consumer protection laws provide specific cancellation periods based on the type of transaction:

3-day cancellation period:

Sales occurring in your home or away from a seller’s permanent place of business
    Health spa contracts
    Credit repair contracts
    Timeshares and camping clubs

I signed up for an expensive membership (not a health spa) on Saturday, paid the fee, signed the contract of their no refund policy and requested cancellation Monday morning.
    Of course I contacted them, sent an email requesting cancellation -their no refund policy I signed was cited.

I have not received goods: it is a membership and i do not get access until I attend an appointment which I also cancelled.

Basically is it worth discussing with an attorney or chalk it up to expensive lesson?

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    a Professional Singles problem is I met someone that evening and it looks promising, not from their membership I don't even have an account / profile It makes sense though all the cheap / free sites have not yielded anything good so far

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is not legal advice in any way, shape or form.

All I am going to say in this- the 72 hour contract rescission law is, largely, the stuff of urban legend.

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2548.htm

Many Hoosiers mistakenly believe that they can legally cancel contracts or purchase decisions as long as they do it within three days of making an agreement. In most cases, that’s simply incorrect. Under Indiana law, a sale is usually considered final immediately. However, occasionally there are exceptions.

...but look up the Health Spa exception.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I almost learned this the hard way. I bought a truck, signed the papers, drove it home, and immediately started asking myself, "what did I do?" After research, I realized I was probably hosed. Fortunately, the dealer called and told me I had to re-sign the paper work, because the original loan didn't go through. I went to the dealer and asked, "what happens if I refuse to sign?" He said, "you can't have the truck." I said, "great! Here's the keys!" And ran out the door.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    This is not legal advice in any way, shape or form.

All I am going to say in this- the 72 hour contract rescission law is, largely, the stuff of urban legend.

https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2548.htm

...but look up the Health Spa exception.

Yes I read all that, my guess is I'm screwed. My only thoughts were that nothing has actually transpired, if it had been a week and I did the photo shoot / video etc then yes I would eat it. I actually like the concept, except that I may never use it now and I spent a decent chunk of change for nothing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes I read all that, my guess is I'm screwed. My only thoughts were that nothing has actually transpired, if it had been a week and I did the photo shoot / video etc then yes I would eat it. I actually like the concept, except that I may never use it now and I spent a decent chunk of change for nothing.

Is it transferable? Can you sell it?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

So basically bad-timing created a terrible case of buyer's remorse?

Uh... morally, I would take issue with bailing for that reason. It's an unfurtunate and expensive lesson. I know that stinks to hear, and I would exhaust all my options to get out of it fairly. Did you pay by credit card? If so, call your card company, explain that you signed a contract but now do not wish to follow-through and that you haven't even started the process of following through, nor have you received any benefit. See what they have to say.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Filling in for Indiucky.

[video=youtube;LZ714Wg9oHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ714Wg9oHM[/video]

I'm pretty sure the events of this thread are on a crumpled piece of paper on Alanis Morisette's living room floor.

"It's like paying for an expensive dating service, then meeting the girl of your dreams..."

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I almost learned this the hard way. I bought a truck, signed the papers, drove it home, and immediately started asking myself, "what did I do?" After research, I realized I was probably hosed. Fortunately, the dealer called and told me I had to re-sign the paper work, because the original loan didn't go through. I went to the dealer and asked, "what happens if I refuse to sign?" He said, "you can't have the truck." I said, "great! Here's the keys!" And ran out the door.

I used to work with a guy who was notified that there were problems with paperwork. But the paperwork was for his marriage, not a truck purchase, and it was his wife who ran out the door, instead of signing a new proper marriage certificate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Consider it the "cost of doing business".
    You wanted to meet someone, you did. It may not have been through this agency, but that might have been he case if you met someone anyway.

If you met the girl, and it works out, then this was money well spent.

Top Bottom