• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Alright guys I have recently acquired and smith and wesson model sixty in stainless. I got it for a fair price but I believe it needs its internals gone through and cleaned. I do not know enough about them to take it apart myself and get it cleaned internally the way it needs. This is where you guys come in. Is there anyone here that knows how to take them apart, clean them, and reassemble them that could advise me? I want to try this before I send it into smith and wesson to have it done. Thanks in advance

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    First before taking it apart get a can of action blaster and flush every orifice
    out several times, dry and reoil (lightly) and see where you are at.

They are not that complicated anyhow.
    You may have a few weak springs if things are hanging up.
    Also get the right hollow ground screwdrivers, don't use a standard
    screwdriver as it will bugger the heads.
    They look like they were designed by a madman inside but it really quite simple.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    First before taking it apart get a can of action blaster and flush every orifice
    out several times, dry and reoil (lightly) and see where you are at.

They are not that complicated anyhow.
    You may have a few weak springs if things are hanging up.
    Also get the right hollow ground screwdrivers, don't use a standard
    screwdriver as it will bugger the heads.
    They look like they were designed by a madman inside but it really quite simple.

All of the above is true..they look complicated, but are not.

However, a good reference book like the one I posted is very helpful to the newbie, cracking a revolver open.

I know it helped me. While I rarely use much, sometimes I crack it open to deposit a greasy fingerprint on a K frame page..:D

Last edited:

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    I bought it used over the internet. It appears that it has not been cared for very well. The only things that concern me are the the cylinder has what seems to be an excess amount of play from front to back, the thumb piece/cylinder release is somewhat "sticky", and the hammer does not cock as smoothly as it should. I am basing all of this off of the two other model sixties and two other 686's that I have handled.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I bought it used over the internet. It appears that it has not been cared for very well. The only things that concern me are the the cylinder has what seems to be an excess amount of play from front to back, the thumb piece/cylinder release is somewhat "sticky", and the hammer does not cock as smoothly as it should. I am basing all of this off of the two other model sixties and two other 686's that I have handled.

Contact this guy-
    Stu Grell, Grell's Gunsmithing
    2220E 1400N Attica, IN 47918-8228
    phone: 765-572-2207.
    Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Dog1 thanks for the contact info. I will be in touch with him. Thanks all for the replies. Anyone else have anything to add?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A Good Book To Get

One of the best investments I have in my posession is Gunsmithing At Home, Lock Stock & Barrel, by John E Traister. Bought it at Wal-Mart for $13.00 many moons ago. While it is not brand specific it has a wealth of info on lots of things like cleaning, repairing, and basic tools. I have found it very useful in helping me recognize what is within my skills, and when I should seek a professional's help. :ingo:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You can also watch a few S&W related videos on YouTube and see that you think about attempting it. Should you decide to do so, don't even think about it without the proper screwdrivers. You'll just booger up the screws in the process. Decent gunsmith screwdriver sets aren't that expensive and are a good investment.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Are the model 60's simuler (how the heck do you spell this word?) to the K frame internals?..if so they are sweet to work on, look scary at first but go together nice, had a Model 15 and smoothed the action, some good stones and an old reference book and "you can do it"!!

1LuvGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    Get Jerry Miculek's Trigger job DVD, that'll show you not only how to disassemble/reassemble the gun but you learn how to give it a smoother action as well! At least that's how I learned how to work on S&W's...

Top Bottom