Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'll bet someone does a pretty cool class on that stuff.
    He does. It is excellent class and should be repeated in order to retain all that is taught. However, I refuse to let him rack the slide by catching the sight on my eye socket again. Once is enough.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Most people will never be in a gunfight or need to use their gun for defense.

Once an individual is selected, however, empirical probabilities no longer apply. They only apply to populations. Once you have a serious problem, you need to be prepared to deal with it.

Second, the dynamics of situations that private citizens encounter can vary widely. Virtually all information that suggests the ultra-close distance, 1-3 shots, etc. originated with police actions. Much less reliable information exists for non-LEOs, but some does exist. If you read or listen to the case studies that Tom Givens has compiled of his own students, you will note that the commonly held beliefs based on LEO actions doesn't always match what regular people have faced.

I don't disagree with the premise but data is data. "Much less reliable information" is....well....much less reliable. Protracted exchanges of gunfire between non-LEOs leads me to the conclusion that neither party is much of a threat to the other and any other persons in the area had better take cover. My belief remains that a person is better off being very good with one gun than confusing the issue for themselves with a 2nd gun which may feel and operate differently than the primary.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't disagree with the premise but data is data. "Much less reliable information" is....well....much less reliable. Protracted exchanges of gunfire between non-LEOs leads me to the conclusion that neither party is much of a threat to the other and any other persons in the area had better take cover. My belief remains that a person is better off being very good with one gun than confusing the issue for themselves with a 2nd gun which may feel and operate differently than the primary.

I agree with your conclusion, just not the way you arrived at it. Data isn't data if it is not applicable.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Sounds like 3 BUGs with no primary. I'd ditch the derringer and get a good quality fighting pistol as a primary. Then you can choose your favorite of the 2 remaining BUGs.

The primary needs to be carried in a quality holster on a belt designed for carrying a gun. This will free up 2 pockets and eliminate your "too much stuff, not enough pockets" problem, so you Gould even throw in a spare mag.

This. :+1:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's one reason why I believe that second and third guns should be identical (or nearly so) to the primary.

It's not necessarily about protracted exchanges either, because I don't see those as a likely scenario for most people living in the USA. You may not be able to use your dominant hand for a variety of reasons. If you can't, even if you are capable of drawing/presenting it with your support hand, it's going to be a lot slower than having a second weapon that is more easily accessible to your support hand. Other than comfort, I don't see a downside to redundant equipment and the skill to use it effectively, and I see many advantages.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ........................... I don't see a downside to redundant equipment and the skill to use it effectively, and I see many advantages.

Redundancy is the operative term here in my mind. Whether it's redundancy in weapons, magazines, or neither is a matter of personal choice, I reckon.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I wear a duty belt with my cuffs, mace, stunn gun and xdms, then strap an SBR to my leg and an lcr in my boot.
    NOT! Many cops feel the need to carry a bug and I can understand that but I don't feel that need I don't intend to us the one gun I carry and will no be burdened by additional weight and bulk. Soldiers go to war with one gun. If you find you need a second gun and you haven't freed one up from your advisaries yet your best bet is to shoot out the lights and get out of Dodge.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    internet experts.....i carry four guns every day all day...including a machete under my shirt....

I wear a duty belt with my cuffs, mace, stunn gun and xdms, then strap an SBR to my leg and an lcr in my boot.
    NOT! Many cops feel the need to carry a bug and I can understand that but I don't feel that need I don't intend to us the one gun I carry and will no be burdened by additional weight and bulk. Soldiers go to war with one gun. If you find you need a second gun and you haven't freed one up from your advisaries yet your best bet is to shoot out the lights and get out of Dodge.

Why do I sense a bit of sarcasm?

I do not choose to carry a BUG. That is my choice. I certainly understand why people choose to carry two guns. I do own a handgun that would make a suitable BUG, but I am beginning to wonder why I keep it. When I can carry I choose to arm myself with a service sized pistol.

Snubby revolvers - Yep I have one. Yep I shoot it adequately. Yep I admit it should be enough most of the time. Nope I still don't think it is enough gun but rather it is the gun I can carry when I don't want to carry a gun. It would make a good BUG.

Micro Mouse .380 - I HATE THEM!!!!! My opinion and not worth any more then the time it took me to type that. They have bad sights, bad triggers, nothing to hold onto, you can't reload them very fast and I have yet to see one run a full 200 rounds straight without choking.

Derringer - Hey at least it is .38 spl so it shares ammo with the revolver.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Both my brothers carried a rifle and a pistol, with 4 or 5 knives usually.

Haven't freed up? Ever hear of a malfunction. Has your pistol worked flawlessly, 100 percent of the time. Not a single problem at the range?
    I had a revolver trigger seize up at the range one time. It's my EDC. Scared me to think that for a few weeks, I had been carrying around a PAPER WEIGHT.

If you don't want to carry a BUG, great. Then don't.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For me, it is one back-up gun. I hope to end the problem with the accuracy of my shot placement and with the degree of shot hurt with my primary handgun. Within 5 yards I am a very good head shot shooter. The last thing I want is the bad person to suffer. Crack heads and others on strong drugs can keep comming at me even though they may already be dead. My BUG is to convice them they are truely dead.

Please God, protect me from ever having to prove my talents other that at the range. Amen

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I would go with a good primary gun mine is a Sig 228 with 18 round mag. An extra 15 round mag and either my Keltec .380 or Sig 238 also with an extra mag.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I am sitting here waiting for my wife's car to get serviced. (Don't worry I am sitting in the corner and paying attention. :) Dangerous looking crowd this morning.) Grabbed my J frame this morning because I was running late and didn't take the time to holster up. I sit here pocket carry thinking of this thread and I will admit that I don't feel well prepared. I can't get to my gun fast and there is less then zero chance I could quickly reload with the anti-speed strip in my rear pocket. I blame Cedartop for this! I used to love carrying my J frame in my pocket. Maybe it's time to have one of those little red dots mounted on my snubby.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I agree. Sounds like you need a primary gun to carry. I don't usually carry more than one gun on me, but my EDC is an XD45 with 13+1 and I have an extra mag in the car. If I did carry a BUG it would be my Ruger LCR in 357. A 38 or a 9mm would be the lightest caliber I would be comfortable carrying.

Pretty much...yah! In my opinion, a BUG should be something that interchanges effectively with your primary EDC, such as a Glock 26 (BUG) supporting your Glock 19 or 17 (EDC gun). It only makes sense to do so!

gberry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Zionsville
    Personally I feel paranoid carrying more than one gun. I break the golden rule of having my LTCH by sometimes choosing to not even carry.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Personally I feel paranoid carrying more than one gun. I break the golden rule of having my LTCH by sometimes choosing to not even carry.

Carry or don't carry, that is your personal choice.
    Some people make a judgment, that carrying 2 makes you a ninja want to be, or paranoid.

I carry 2, because I have seen hundred of guns malfunction over the year.
    I've seen my nice reliable wheel gun lock up the trigger, so I had been carrying around a brick for a month.

Carry what you want. Don't carry what you want.
    And let others do so as they want/need.

Top Bottom