• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Hi guys. I don't really post on here much I usually just use this message board as a good source of learning about guns from the knowledgable people on here. I just need some advice on a firearm dilemma I have.

to preface this, I purchased a Beretta minx (950b manufactured in Italy I believe 1968) from a friend at work a few years ago. I knew I wanted it from the moment I saw it just because I love history and the look of the firearm. I bought it as is for $100 and later found out it needed at new firing pin. I couldn't find many places that do gunsmithing so I took it to the Gander Mountain here in Fort Wayne.

They charged about $70 to fix the firing pin and had it in good working order. I took it to the range once and it worked great with no problems. Well that was about 2 years ago.

I was cleaning my guns about a month ago and while cleaning my minx and fiddling around with it I heard something rattling around in the gun and it turned out to be the firing pin that broke off again! I don't know how it could have broken so easily. It is a rim fire gun and I assume it broke last time from somebody dry firing it several times. I believe I accidentally dry fired it once while I was cleaning it and I'm not sure if this could have caused it to break? There was a lot of chamber peening on the gun as if it had been dry fired 1000 times before. I wouldn't think the pin could break after doing it once. I was extra careful after already having to pay to get it fixed.

Either way, it needs a new firing pin again and now I'm in a predicament. Should I go back to Gander Mtn. and see if they can get me a deal on fixing it again since I already spent $70 getting it fixed? Should I just trade it in or try to sell it? There should be a gunsmith in Fort Wayne that charges less than $50 an hour but they seem hard to find. Worst case scenario ill just keep it for a historical piece because I think it's neat, but its really fun to fire and now I have 300 rounds of .22 short that wont get used if the gun doesn't get fixed.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    This guy is about 45 west of you--

John Strang 574-250-9509 tactical component
    6680 sr331 south. Bremen IN 46506

Give him a call, he can make you a new firing pin and install it

alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'll mull over my options. The gunpartscorp website was sold out of the Beretta minx firing pin. I bet the person who replaced it just got some cheap replacement that wasn't very reliable. I'm assuming it would probably be expensive if somebody manufactured one themselves. You'd think in the days of 3D printers it should be a pretty cheap replacement though.

I'll probably just hold onto it for a bit and maybe try to fix it myself if I get bored.

Thanks agian.

alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Well in case anyone cares, I took the gun into Gander today because I was bored and just wanted to stop thinking about the damn gun. The workers seemed very nice and said even though the repair was done 2 years ago there's no way it should have broken again. There wasn't really anything they could do until they ship it to the repair facility in Illinois and see what they say.

I have a feeling they'll try to charge me full price so Ill probably have to wait till I go to pick it up then try to work in a discount.
    Either way, if I did pay full price I'd still be under $300 into the gun. The only used ones I've seen online are $300 and those are the ones with the safety that weren't made in Italy. I think mine was the last year in Italy before they were manufactured with the safety in Brazil and USA.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have a 950 Jetfire and I've never had a problem with the firing pin. If you're not going to have a local smith look at it then I'd send it to Midwest Gun Works. They're the Beretta authorized service center for older model firearms. Here's the link: Midwest Gun Works Service Center Good luck I hope you get it fixed as these are little gems. I love mine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom