• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Just noticed this when shifting into first. It happened only once. I was practicing starting from a stop on a hill by using my driveway. I shifted into first to simulate taking off and I heard a noise that sounds like the noise when going in reverse. It happened for about a second before I went back into neutral and tried again. No issues the second time.

Do manual transmissions just make noises like that sometimes or was I just not off the clutch all the way? Or do I have some sort of issue coming up? I've never noticed it slipping before just in case anyone was wondering.

pilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    You might have had the clutch out a little causing the gear to grind a hare as the gear sets matched up. Reverse is not a synchronized gear so it will grind if you shift into it to quick.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I had a old Mustang that for some reason it would not grind if you double pumped the clutch. They all are a little different in what they like. You'll learn what it likes.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Please explain. Always up to learn.

This is a Ford top loader but take a look. I'll say it is a yes and no kind of thing.

mump090303zfordtoploade.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    And also note that the reverse gear is astraight cut gear and not helical cut making it even noiseyer.

An internaly leaking master or slave cylinder on the clutch,or a worn first syncronizer would be the problem,unless of course you didn,t have the clutch complettely disengaged

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Before you shift it into R put it in 3rd and then go to R

That will slow things down and let it slide in easier to R

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, manual transmissions make noises. It won't take long for you to know the normal noises from the bad. I was quite surprised at the sounds out of a modern manual when I drove my first one home.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Was in first today and the truck wanted to lurch a little while accelerating. No noises though. Was this a transmission issue or something else? Or do older trucks just do that?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yeah, if I didn't let it out smooth it would do it. If I wasn't so smooth it would lurch all the way into second gear. but not the usual about-to-stall lurches. Just real slight pulls. I'll see if I can't get it to do it again.

Just practice. It's easy to jerk a little when you're learning. Gotta smooth out the pedal skills.

Top Bottom