• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Question #1: What agency should I put on the form? I live in an incorporated city, do I have a choice of the city PD, or county Sheriff, DA's office or ISP?

Question #2: After the Form 1 or 4 is approved, does the NFA branch send the copy of the form to the CLEO listed on the form, or I, the transferee mails it.

Question #3: How is the "CLEO notification rule" enforced? If I'm sending the copy of the form, Is a tracking # all I needed to proof I notified the CLEO? Is there a checks and balances mechanism to verify the CLEO have my form? (USPS never lost any mail, of course)

Question #4: What does the CLEO do with my form? It is confidential tax information.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Question #1: What agency should I put on the form? I live in an incorporated city, do I have a choice of the city PD, or county Sheriff, DA's office?
    Whoever has immediate jurisdiction. In your case, the local PD.

Question #2: After the Form 1 or 4 is approved, does the NFA branch send the copy of the form to the CLEO listed on the form, or I, the transferee mails it. No, you mail a copy when you mail in your forms to the ATF. On the Form 1, it says that you must notify them of the "proposed making", which means before it's approved.
    Question #3: How is the "CLEO notification rule" enforced? If I'm sending the copy of the form, Is a tracking # all I needed to proof I notified the CLEO? Is there a checks and balances mechanism to verify the CLEO have my form? (USPS never lost any mail, of course?
    Honestly, there's no way to enforce this at all. You're not required to have tracking. You can if it makes you feel better, but there's not requirement and you don't really have to prove it. The ATF will not check with LEO.

Question #4: What does the CLEO do with my form? It is confidential tax information.

That is a question for your local LEO. Every office is going to be different. I'm sure LEO's that are just fine with NFA are likely to throw it away and more conscientious ones shred it. Anti-NFA LEO's are probably likely to keep a file. There's nothing in the rules that proscribes what they are to do with your forms.

Answers in red.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    To bring back up.
    At the top of the CLEO paperwork it says:
    SUBMIT IN DUPLICATE TO: NFA BRANCH BLAH, BLAH, ATLANTA, gA. BLAH, BLAH.
    Now at the bottom of the page it has the space for the ATF to approve or disapprove.
    I've read through the instructions a few times, but does the ATF sign off and then send it in, or send it to local PD when you send in the ATF copy 1 & 2? It is a bit confusing.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    To bring back up.
    At the top of the CLEO paperwork it says:
    SUBMIT IN DUPLICATE TO: NFA BRANCH BLAH, BLAH, ATLANTA, gA. BLAH, BLAH.
    Now at the bottom of the page it has the space for the ATF to approve or disapprove.
    I've read through the instructions a few times, but does the ATF sign off and then send it in, or send it to local PD when you send in the ATF copy 1 & 2? It is a bit confusing.

Send it in when you send your copy to the ATF. The idea of the CLEO notification is to give them an opportunity to present info that would make you ineligible if they had it.

When it comes down to it, this is an unenforceable rule. They don't call the PD to see if you sent it, so I don't know how they ever use it for its intended purpose.

Top Bottom