• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Last year I graduated from Purdue University. I still have friends there and this weekend I am going to visit them. The question I have is whether it would be legal for me to carry on campus? I've tried to find an answer and I've seen posts on threads where people say it's OK, but they haven't cited any sources. This is what the IN Code says: IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

But, the code doesn't say whether a university is the same as a K-12 school.

Also, this is what Purdue says:
    Section 2 (Specific Uses Prohibited) part B states
    "The possession, use, or distribution of any explosives, guns, or other deadly or dangerous materials or weapons reasonably calculated to cause bodily injury is prohibited in University Facilities.

I would very much like to carry there, but I don't want to risk it if I'm not sure it's 100% legal. So, any know definitively whether it is legal or not?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Here's the definition of school property, you can carry on college property, they can ask you to leave if you get caught.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Carrying on a college campus is not covered under the school law in the IC. Also, the Purdue rule only covers students and/or employees. I've carried on campus, including into the Union. It's not illegal to do so.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

Here's the definition of school property, you can carry on college property, they can ask you to leave if you get caught.

Thanks. I must have missed that when I was looking up the Indiana code.

Carrying on a college campus is not covered under the school law in the IC. Also, the Purdue rule only covers students and/or employees. I've carried on campus, including into the Union. It's not illegal to do so.

I never even thought about the rule not applying to non-students/employees, but it make since.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    i always carried in my bag when i went to ipfw. i did participate in open holster day, my sociolist sociology teacher tried to ream me a new one about how no one should have guns and only criminals use guns and if there were no guns crime would go down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom