• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Bottom line is that since you are asking this question, I'm pretty sure you have NOT attended the IL required firearms class. Therefore you cannot carry, open or concealed in the fascist state of IL. You can, however, possibly carry a firearm unloaded and in a case in the truck or luggage compartment of your vehicle under the safe-passage doctrine provided that what you have is legal both at the start and the end of your journey. And this assume that some over-zealous LEO doesn't ignore the law and arrest you anyway if your firearm is discovered.

Don't stop in IL for any reason, don't get stopped for any reason, and you probably will be ok. But as always, it's best to avoid that hell-hole entirely if at all possible.

Blakwing42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Cedar Lake
    BUT... If you don't have a way to put the gun in say saddle bags and you want to get gas and pay in cash, you must straddle the bike and push it into the gas station to pay for your gas. This way you never leave the vehicle unattended and you are not carrying a gun "outside" the vehicle.

Nope.. You're clear there as well. The law allows for you to "exit" your vehicle for the purpose of storing your weapon in the "trunk" of your car... The same covers getting your firearm into your saddlebags.

A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Now.. If you don't have saddlebags, a tankbag, or tailbag you may be hosed. But I do believe that you can secure your gun in a fannypack or backpack that you carry.. Provided the gun is unloaded and secured.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Bottom line is that since you are asking this question, I'm pretty sure you have NOT attended the IL required firearms class. Therefore you cannot carry, open or concealed in the fascist state of IL. You can, however, possibly carry a firearm unloaded and in a case in the truck or luggage compartment of your vehicle under the safe-passage doctrine provided that what you have is legal both at the start and the end of your journey. And this assume that some over-zealous LEO doesn't ignore the law and arrest you anyway if your firearm is discovered.

Don't stop in IL for any reason, don't get stopped for any reason, and you probably will be ok. But as always, it's best to avoid that hell-hole entirely if at all possible.
    You should reread post 10 again. If you have a LTCH you can carry a loaded handgun in your car.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

I don't think any of that post is accurate, a year ago it was but not now

Gary Clay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    I didn't know it was legal to put your gun in a car and carry over the state line into Illinois.

I will be in Illinois this weekend. I am wondering if I have to take my gun apart or if I can leave it together and just leave it in the car?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I didn't know it was legal to put your gun in a car and carry over the state line into Illinois.

I will be in Illinois this weekend. I am wondering if I have to take my gun apart or if I can leave it together and just leave it in the car?

Gary,
    If you have an Indiana LTCH, carry away. Has been stated on this thread several times. Carry on your person or in the vehicle, just lock in inside the vehicle when you exit it. No need to take your handgun apart, unload it or store the gun/ammo separate or anything else crazy. I have been doing it since the law changed last year with no problems what so ever.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Please note, this new law does NOT apply to long guns. Handguns only by LTCH holders. If you transport a long gun in Illinois, it must be unloaded, in a case and not readily accessible, or in the case of a vehicle without a separate compartment, a locked case.

Top Bottom