• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhee6756

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I have a new SR9c that has been through about 200-250 rounds, have been using primarily 115 gr. remington white box, also 115 gr. yellow box, and some 115 gr. reloads I purchased last year at the 1500. Problem is a recurring issue with the brass stovepiping once every 10-20 rounds. Has anyone experienced this problem and corrected it easily? Do I need more break in time? Do I need to go to a different type of ammo? Do I need to contact Ruger and possibly return the weapon for some type of repair or modification?
    Thoughts....?

Thanks, Dan

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Is this occurring with each of the different types of ammo?

I will assume that the weapon has been cleaned, correct?

Another assumption is that your grip is good and you aren't limp wristing...that should be confirmed before sending it back.

Has anyone else fired it and had the same type of malfunction?

dwhee6756

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    1. Yes with each type of ammo, BUT worse with the reload and white box.:n00b:

2. Yes I clean after every outing.:rockwoot:

3. Not sure if I'm limp wristing or not, but others have had it happen also.:rolleyes:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    There is a problem with the SR9c and limp wristing, and it is really easy to do on that pistol. I would check your grip, and perhaps try it with 124 grain rounds.

dwhee6756

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks, I'll check my technique, try to find some hotter rounds, and keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks,
    Dan

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I also assume you have already tracked these incidents to see if there is any correlation with the magazine you are using.

The SR9c can be less forgiving even with a subtly looser wrist/grip than some others.

Firing more rounds through it should help, but I would suspect the improvement will be more from you getting used to the grip than true break in of the machine itself.

If the problem persists after another couple of hundred rounds, a call to Ruger may get some other trick or having them check the extractor.

I haven't had feeding issues with mine over the course of about 400 rounds, but have had a time or two the slide didn't lock which I attribute to my grip.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Try federal ammo 115 grain see if you have any better luck.
    I've found that WWB is close to worthless. I believe at lot of it is undercharged.
    My SR9c has approx 1000 flawless rnds through it.
    50% Federal and 50% my reloads approx.
    You are oiling the slide correctly?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    900+ rounds through my SR9c with out a stovepipe issue. Weird.

I second the tracking of the magazines to see if it is happening with all or just one of them.
    Next I would ensure that there is no build up under the extractor.
    And there is the grip issue, less likely though as you said it happens with multiple shooters, but still a possibility.
    Could be a combination of one or more problems as well.

Also go on youtube and look up (if you haven't already) how to remove the firing pin, very simple with that gun, and clean out inside there. I was shocked at the amount of dirt and debris that accumulated inside on the firing pin. Not that it would have much to do with a stovepipe problem, I don't think, but good to clean out in there none the less.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    well if it were just the reloads i would say they are light charges. but if it is including the white and yellow bow, i must concur with the other fellas here and say tighten up that wrist. not a death grip, but a firm "i am shaking the hand attached to the father of a girl im taking out tonight" grip.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I have an SR9C. I have had no problems but I let my uncle shoot it and it jammed twice for him. His grip was very weak, he gets buy with the weak grip when he shoots his Glock.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know, but I have taken a good amount of women shooting, and that pistol never fails to get limp wristed. Perhaps it is to snappy for its size. The same women never have problems with my M&P's.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Interesting. First I've ever heard of limp wristing problems with the SR9c. Never have had a problem with mine.
    However when only one person is having a problem, then operator error has to be suspected.

Last edited:

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    No problems with mine so far, but only 30 rounds down range. Did clean it first before taking it to the range.
    Felt recoil is what I consider light on this weapon, so someone might tend to be a little light in their grip. Just my observation.

Top Bottom