• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    Similar, yes. Except the one I have listed is for a mid-length gas system and would require him removing either part of the rail or his front sight -- which is why I would not (and did not ;)) recommend it. I do like the system, though, and still have one on my DD mid-length.

Actually, I was trying to help you out AND bust your balls a little. I thought maybe you were too modest to pimp your ad :D

I did forget that the OP wanted to keep the A2 FSB.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It sounds like price and simplicity are your major concerns. So I would suggest a simple drop-in rail system from MI or Troy. Installation will take 10 minutes max and should serve your 16" PSA carbine well.

Midwest Industries: G2 Two Piece Drop-in

drop_ing2.gif

CAR/M4 Drop In Rail|Carbine Battlerail|Rifle Accessories|M16 Accessories|Troy Industries

SRAI-MRF-D7xT-00-2T.jpg

Bigdogag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    You might want to look into Damage Industries. They are an Indiana company and can be found here on ShopIngo.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Here is my 2 cents:

If you want a drop in rail, buy an MOE handgurad. A drop in rail is going to be heavier, less comfortable, and serve you no real advantage. Magpul makes many MOE accessories that mount directly to it, and you can always add rail sections if need be.

If you want maximum accuracy, you need to free float the barrel.

If you are comfortable removing the front sight, I would go with one of Troys that utilize the standard barrel nut already on your rifle. As far as removing a standard A2 style front sight, its held in with 2 taper pins. Give them a firm whack, preferably with a taper pin punch, and they will drive right out. This is going to "free float" your barrel, a major plus in my experience.

If your comfortable taking off the barrel nut, Larue's rail is built like a tank. If you were to drop my fat ass in a war zone, and I wanted a rail to trust my life with, Larue comes to mind first. I also would want the gas block pinned in rather than bolted. Screws will loosen, taper pins tend not to. Gas block comes loose, your tactical evil black rifle just became a bolt action.

There are a billion other options out there that are great too. As I evolve as a shooter, I'm finding I want the rail to be as small diameter as possible, and light. I also like to only add rail sections where they are needed. This makes Troy pretty tough to beat for me.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would suggest a simple drop-in rail system from MI or Troy. Installation will take 10 minutes max

10 minutes? It might take that long if you're painstakingly documenting every step of the process with professional-quality photos from multiple angles...

Oh, wait; forgot who I was talking to for a second there. :):

can be found here on ShopIngo.

:rofl:

If you want a drop in rail, buy an MOE handgurad. A drop in rail is going to be heavier, less comfortable, and serve you no real advantage. Magpul makes many MOE accessories that mount directly to it, and you can always add rail sections if need be.

I'm going to disagree with you on a couple points here:

1) There are now many drop-in rails on the market that are as light as or only a minute amount heavier than the MOE handguards. The MI Gen2 drop-in and SS drop-in systems come immediately to mind; they are insanely light.

2) The drop-in rails that screw together offer superior rigidity and durability compared to the MOE system; I've seen a MOE lower handguard pulled completely off a rifle by an "enthusiastic" user applying vigorous pressure/torque to an attached vertical grip. Many rail systems also offer superior heat dissipation compared to the MOE, due to their larger and more exposed cooling holes/slots. Finally, mounting an accessory to a railed handguard is a more robust method of attachment than attaching directly to the MOE (which normally uses one or two small screws into backing plates on the inside of the handguard), and is cleaner than attaching an accessory to a rail section, which is then attached to the MOE.

The MOE is a good upgrade from a standard carbine handguard and offers considerable versatility, but it is not necessarily a substitute for a full quad rail system.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm going to disagree with you on a couple points here:

1) There are now many drop-in rails on the market that are as light as or only a minute amount heavier than the MOE handguards. The MI Gen2 drop-in and SS drop-in systems come immediately to mind; they are insanely light.

2) The drop-in rails that screw together offer superior rigidity and durability compared to the MOE system; I've seen a MOE lower handguard pulled completely off a rifle by an "enthusiastic" user applying vigorous pressure/torque to an attached vertical grip. Many rail systems also offer superior heat dissipation compared to the MOE, due to their larger and more exposed cooling holes/slots. Finally, mounting an accessory to a railed handguard is a more robust method of attachment than attaching directly to the MOE (which normally uses one or two small screws into backing plates on the inside of the handguard), and is cleaner than attaching an accessory to a rail section, which is then attached to the MOE.

The MOE is a good upgrade from a standard carbine handguard and offers considerable versatility, but it is not necessarily a substitute for a full quad rail system.

My :twocents:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I just think for the casual shooter wanting to simply add a VFG, the MOE is a really good option.

In the past, the first thing I do with a new AR has been to install a quad rail. Recently I picked up a Sig M400 Enhanced, and decided to give the MOE a try after reading some of the stuff Phlydog posted about his. It's performed extremely well, and I really like the clean look of the MSA, MVG, and MOE Scout Mount with my M600 with out rails poking out everywhere. Is it as robust as a rail, no way. But it does add a lot of versatility for a drop in handguard, is light, cheap, and is much more comfortable than the cheese grater feel of a quadrail. My department has been putting them on some issued M4's, and so far so good.

MI is making great stuff. I have one of their optic specific rails on an AK, and impressed is an understatemt. I've also had good luck with Surefire's. I have a couple friends that were issued them for their SWAT Team rifles, and they have performed great.

That said, 5 out of 6 of my AR's are running a free float handguard of some sort.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Have the KAC RIS and RAS handguards just fallen out of favor? Old news maybe?
    I rarely see any mention of them anymore.
    I have a few around here and while they're not perfect or high tech they do get the job done and have stayed in one piece.

Top Bottom