• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Im looking for a Quad rail handguard and I was looking for some suggestions on what brand. Im not looking to spend a ton, but willing to spend some for the right rail system. I've been looking at troy and midwest industries, are they good brands?

Also, Im not sure what sive I need. I have a 16'' barrel.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I prefer MI, but have heard mostly good things about Troy rails. Also, DD & Yankee Hill have some nice rails.

What are you looking to achieve?

Are you looking at standard drop-in, drop-in free-float, or regular free float? (I may have missed an option there, but you get the idea.)

If you have a front sight post, do you want to keep it?

So many questions, so little information.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I use MI drop in rails with good success. I also use YHM free float rails, and I like them. The Magpul hand guard is good also, rails can be added, and very light weight, and cheap.

Dave

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you want a free float I'm voting Seekins Precision. Both the SAR and BAR rails are light, well machined, and their locking system is very slick. Plus, they have just about every length of rail you could need.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I prefer MI, but have heard mostly good things about Troy rails. Also, DD & Yankee Hill have some nice rails.

Are you looking at standard drop-in, drop-in free-float, or regular free float? (I may have missed an option there, but you get the idea.)

Oh man well I don't know. what is the difference between all of them? And I do have a front sight post that I want to keep.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Guys, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this ...

On the rails:

1) Drop-in requires no modification to a mounted barrel w/ front sight post and traditional handguards (i.e. it is a direct replacement)

2) Drop-in free-float rails similarly do not require dismounting of the barrel nut or front gas block and are meant to go on as direct replacements to existing traditional handguards (although some, like the DD, may require minimal modification like cutting off the delta ring with a hacksaw or dremel) but has the advantage of not transferring pressure on the rails to the barrel. I have worked with no-modification systems from Mako & Vltor and found them both to work well.

3) Traditional free-float rails will normally require the removal of a FSP (if present) and the barrel nut for installation. They often come with a proprietary barrel nut to secure the barrel (and you will often need a proprietary barrel nut wrench, which may come with the rails.) Like the drop-in free-float rails, these will not transfer pressure on the rail to the barrel.

To figure out which systems are compatible, start with the basics:

1) What length barrel? (common non-NFA rifle lengths are 14.5" (w/ pinned flash hider/comp),16",18",20", & 24"

2) What gas system length? (approximates: carbine -> 7.5", mid-length -> 9", rifle -> 12")

3) Are you comfortable removing the FSP & barrel nut? (and installing the new barrel nut / re-installing the FSP?)

4) Do you want to cover the barrel past the gas FSP?

5) Budget?

I think that is most of it, but I'm certain folks will point out everything I have missed or gotten wrong.

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010

What is a 'drop-in free-float'? I have never heard of that. Do you have an example.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Guys, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this ...

On the rails:

1) Drop-in requires no modification to a mounted barrel w/ front sight post and traditional handguards (i.e. it is a direct replacement)

2) Drop-in free-float rails similarly do not require dismounting of the barrel nut or front gas block and are meant to go on as direct replacements to existing traditional handguards (although some, like the DD, may require minimal modification like cutting off the delta ring with a hacksaw or dremel) but has the advantage of not transferring pressure on the rails to the barrel. I have worked with no-modification systems from Mako & Vltor and found them both to work well.

3) Traditional free-float rails will normally require the removal of a FSP (if present) and the barrel nut for installation. They often come with a proprietary barrel nut to secure the barrel (and you will often need a proprietary barrel nut wrench, which may come with the rails.) Like the drop-in free-float rails, these will not transfer pressure on the rail to the barrel.

To figure out which systems are compatible, start with the basics:

1) What length barrel? (common non-NFA rifle lengths are 14.5" (w/ pinned flash hider/comp),16",18",20", & 24"

2) What gas system length? (approximates: carbine -> 7.5", mid-length -> 9", rifle -> 12")

3) Are you comfortable removing the FSP & barrel nut? (and installing the new barrel nut / re-installing the FSP?)

4) Do you want to cover the barrel past the gas FSP?

5) Budget?

I think that is most of it, but I'm certain folks will point out everything I have missed or gotten wrong.

16'' barrel and I'm pretty sure its carbine lenght. and I wasn't really wanting to modify anything. And about 150 max for a budget.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Last edited:

Hilker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I used guntec drop in system. pretty resonable price, looks great works great. I also still have the iron sight on the front. Just a note, if using
    optics make sure to get it high enough to clear the frt. sight otherwise
    it gets blury.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    16'' barrel and I'm pretty sure its carbine lenght. and I wasn't really wanting to modify anything. And about 150 max for a budget.

At $150 max, I think you could either find a nice drop-in or look for a good used free-float drop-in. The other option would be to find somebody to help you install regular free-float rails on your upper. The installation is not that hard, but may take some time, tools, effort, and patience.

Top Bottom