• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yeah I'm stuck between the KAC RAS - 2pc non floating system and the DD Omega 2pc free floating system.

Which one should I get?

No question - float the sucker! :thumbsup: The RAS is early-1990s technology and is WAY overpriced for what it is. The Omega blows it out of the water in terms of design and features, and is significantly less expensive.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And the Omega is LIGHTER. Ounces matter when they're in front of the magwell!

Between those two choices, I'd go with the DD Omega without even a moment's hesitation.

Now ... the house gun is Omega'd. However, the truck gun still has the standard M4-style handguard and the el-cheapo piece of rail and foregrip. I'm probably going to just ditch the foregrip on it, as the rail is more than adequate for just the light. If not, I will save my pennies for another Omega, or whatever better value is on the market by the time purchasing is a reality.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i'm running a yankee hill machine lightweight full float on one of my ar's. sound piece of equipment, but it does require removing the fsb, etc. to install. whatever you do, get the rail covers. didn't think i need them until i ran the rifle in a class last fall and almost need stitches. those rails are sharp.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    i'm running a yankee hill machine lightweight full float on one of my ar's. sound piece of equipment, but it does require removing the fsb, etc. to install. whatever you do, get the rail covers. didn't think i need them until i ran the rifle in a class last fall and almost need stitches. those rails are sharp.

Does the Yankee Hill have the built-in sling swivel mounts?

I ruled them out when I was searching because they didn't have a two-piece free float (at least then), which is why my choices narrowed to DD and MI.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    In the past I recommended Troy forearms for folks looking for easy installation, but now I consider the DD Omega as a best buy in this category.

But make no mistake, if it is my personal choice, I will choose a LaRue everytime. (the KOOL-ADE is just that good.)
    Same here. I haven't put any on mine yet, but have read about, fondled, and tested a few guns that some friends owned. My unprofessional opinion, yep the LaRue units are pretty sweet. Although, the newest KAC URX rail system with the integrated flip-up front sight is the one I'm starting to jones for (yeh, the KAC Kool-Aid is tasty . . . just insanely expensive!). I see a LaRue 9.0 on my Mid-length system on my Franken-AR in the future though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't you get a decent employee discount, Ryan? If not, demand it! I say, DEMAND IT! :D You might even be able to locate an actual, live KAC AR for actual sale. Heh.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    [hijack]
    Don't you get a decent employee discount, Ryan? If not, demand it! I say, DEMAND IT! :D You might even be able to locate an actual, live KAC AR for actual sale. Heh.
    :lmfao:No set discount, just a "right-place, right-time" kinda thing from what I've heard. And fat chance of my getting a KAC AR right now, M110's seem to be the order of the day right now. Though, I'm hoping to get my hands on an SR-15 E3 before my 10-year reunion.[/hijack]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No employee discount?? Apparently Mr. Reed Knight is a poo' haid.

I've seen exactly one KAC AR in real life. It looked really nice, but it didn't work properly (probably still doesn't). You had to download your magazines or it would not function. Even if you choose to download mags to 28 rounds to help with reloads, the gun should still function with a 30 round mag fully loaded!

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    No employee discount?? Apparently Mr. Reed Knight is a poo' haid.

I've seen exactly one KAC AR in real life. It looked really nice, but it didn't work properly (probably still doesn't). You had to download your magazines or it would not function. Even if you choose to download mags to 28 rounds to help with reloads, the gun should still function with a 30 round mag fully loaded!
    Trust me, the current incarnations work very well. I'm waiting for them to start shipping the new SR-15 E3 out. Even if I have to pay full retail, I'll still try to get an order in for one. Personally, I think it'd be worth it for what I'm getting (the 2-stage trigger is sweeeeet).

Top Bottom