• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Okay, was at the range trying out some new recipes when i got the dreaded pop and no kick of a squib round. Naturally, my first thought was crap, I missed putting powder in one. However, when I manually ejected the round, I noticed the case was still had at least 2-3 grains of powder and that there was unburnt powder in the gun, all over the next round in the mag and all over my hands. So, I started looking at the primer as the culprit, primer strike looks normal, same as the rest. So what else could it have been?

FYI: powder is stored dry, reloaded dry and all other rounds from that batch went bang. 45 ACP, 230 Gr JHP, 4.1 gr Titegroup, new winchester brass, Winchester Large pistol primers.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have had a bad primer before that could have been the problem. My best guess would be a faulty primer everything else was ok so you got 1 bad one.

My :twocents:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Could the flash hole have been clogged with tumbling media and prevented the spark from reaching the powder? The pressure could have pushed everything forward (media and all)

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Could the flash hole have been clogged with tumbling media and prevented the spark from reaching the powder? The pressure could have pushed everything forward (media and all)

No, as I said in the original post, this was brand new, right out of the bag winchester brass, I did use a flash hole uniform tool as well just to be sure prior to priming as it is a habit.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    So bullet was lodged in barrel? Did you look at the flash hole of case, is it the same dia as the rest of the brass? Flash hole restricted or weak primer is my guess.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Some puzzles are never solved. You can do everything right and have a glitch. It could have been a bad primer, which is the most likely cause, at this point. You could have had something fall into the case before the powder, blocking the primer pocket vent. The truth is, you'll probably never know. Continue best reloading practices and these events will be few and far between...but they WILL still happen. ;)

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    I would assume faulty primer. Where was the bullet, was it just separated or did it go all the way into the chamber? That info would give me some ideas mate.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I had a very similar experience awhile back on a 45 ACP. I was using Accurate #7 and CCI primers. The bullet was about 2-3" down the barrel and unburnt powder all over the place. Not sure what caused it, the primers were pretty old, but I've used much older before.

Top Bottom