• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    For those of you who put some kind of polish, nu-finish, etc. in your tumbling media, if you're reusing the same media, do you put polish in every time you use it or just the first time?

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have put some in each time. I got mine from cabelas and it came with the tumbler and that is what the instructions said to do. I am still using the original media and they are still coming out very nice.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I only put it in when the brass does not come out very shiney. I've tried NuFinish and Lyman Turbo Brite and found the Turbo Brite worked much better with my walnut media in a vibratory tumbler. A lot depending on the type of tumbler and media you use.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I put new polish in every other time or so. Seems to work ok. I don't throw away the media until it gets pretty dark in color. Just takes longer and longer to work.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Always remember that you are dealing with the primer residue when handling media or dryer sheets.

Lead Styphnate is toxic. At least wash your hands before eating.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Elaborate please?

Do you cut them up into strips? Put one entire sheet in with the media? A half sheet will do the trick?

I'm also curious to know why this would help. Any ideas?

I just throw it in the tumbler. It helps pick up a lot of the residue, which in turn helps keep your media cleaner for longer. Every time I tumble a new load of brass I drop in a new sheet.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i use any ol liquid car polish a bunch cheaper than brass case polish.....and dry sheets...btw add the polish before you put your brass in and let it run for about 10 min's or your some of your brass will have polish blob in them...

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    You can use old ones. It works just the same.

Also after you cut them in strips, tie them in a loose knot or bow and they will do an even better job. Sometimes if you just leave them in strips they just get mashed into a little ball and dont really do much.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    i use any ol liquid car polish a bunch cheaper than brass case polish.....and dry sheets...btw add the polish before you put your brass in and let it run for about 10 min's or your some of your brass will have polish blob in them...

That is something I will definitely try out. I did notice a bit of a problem with the media clumping up the first time I tried adding polish

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    'Just curios? Does it have to be a new dryer sheet or can you recycle the ones you have used in the dryer?'

Used sheets cut into strips work just fine. The dryer sheets collect the dust and fine particles. Replace after each load.

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Tried the dryer sheets they worked but not as good as what I hoped. I did use 'recycled' ones. For dust I would quarter a paper towel and after putting the media back in the vibrator, I would take the sheets, spray them with water and let them cycle for x minutes. They would come out black, dust went down, and the national debt went down a little.

Next I got a wild hair and purchased some Dillon Case Polish. This works really great!!!! Add just a little at a time, before adding the brass. When this runs out, however, I'm going to try car polish for $$ reasons. I'll see....

My :twocents:.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I purchased a Frankford Arsenal tumbler kit yesterday and it came with polisher. I had some cases that someone else tumbled for me so I went ahead and put in the corn media that was with the kit and added the Polisher. After letting it run for about 30 minutes I added the cases that were already tumbled once and they came out very clean and the difference was very noticeable. It could have been the new media, but they sure were shiny!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I purchased a Frankford Arsenal tumbler kit yesterday and it came with polisher. I had some cases that someone else tumbled for me so I went ahead and put in the corn media that was with the kit and added the Polisher. After letting it run for about 30 minutes I added the cases that were already tumbled once and they came out very clean and the difference was very noticeable. It could have been the new media, but they sure were shiny!

I also have a Frankford tumbler.

Top Bottom