• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm wondering why you would need to get a non-resident permit If Indiana's carry permit is valid in that state, I travel occasionally and Ive checked all the states that Its valid in, but I've had multiple people tell me I need to get a non-resident permit anyway, Do i really HAVE to get one or is it just recommended.

I was also considering getting one for Ohio since its one of the close states that I travel to maybe a couple times a year. Does Illinois have one? or are they just that big of Gun haters?
    Are they expensive? I haven't found too much on them.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Illinois has no provisions for carrying a handgun. It is illegal to o/c or c/c a handgun.
    I'm sure that its covered in the FAQ's

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    But lets say I go to Florida, Do i have to get a Florida non resident permit? If I got stopped they would honor my Indiana one right?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    With the Utah non-resident it allows to carry in a total of 34 states. I living near Ohio will enjoy my non-resident permit. Jim Floyd from Dignitary Protection Group can give answer any of your non-resident questions.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    the main reason i am getting my UT non resident permit is so i can carry in OH. i do like the fact that with the UT and my IN license combined i can carry in 34 states.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Some states only honor permits where there is a written reciprocity between individual states.

Some, like Indiana, honor all other states' permits.

Some honor only resident permits (e.g. UT non-resident not honored by FL; UT resident permit is)

Here is where to look regarding all the rules for permits (resident, non-resident) and reciprocity. Also contains state-by-state info on where carry is/is not allowed. A must read for the packing traveler.

Handgunlaw.us

As the site states, use this as a guide, but verify each state independently just in case. Fortunately, they provide links to the state's AG, SP, or Code page with explanations for many of the states.

(Mods, can this link be put in a sticky somewhere if it isn't already? This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have posted it in varying threads in the last month. Apparently inquiring minds want to know ;))

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I just requested the FL non-resident (even though I go there a lot). Their site says Nevada is no longer recip though. That sucks.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    signed up for the 20th of March class of the UT non-rs-permit class so when goin' to the son-in-laws in NC i can travel through without hindin' my stuff:draw: :D

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    What all is covered in these classes? Are we talking basic gun safety or something more in-depth? I couldn't find anything about that and I have been considering getting my UT permit so I can carry in Ohio.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    XD, for Florida you can waive the class if you send in a diploma from gun skul or your DD 214.

By obtaining a Florida and Utah license you expand your area of legal operation.:D

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    With Utah and Florida permits you can carry in 36 states. Carry permits are not available in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Washington D.C.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    But, do you have to show proof of a course, or does the fact that you have held a LTCH for 20 years in Indiana count?

Top Bottom