• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Granted many are quick to blame professors because they are seen to be somehow the overseer of the students,

sad, this is EXACTLY the position of Purdue University--the university argues against campus carry claiming that professors, the police, the Spirit of Purdue Pete will protect students.

This articles shows that by the actions of the named Purdue professors that this notion is a lie.

We need to use it politically to neutralize the campus police and administration.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My comment on the story...

Students need to realize that THEY are responsible for their own safety. Professor won't lock the door and turn off the lights per protocol. Big freaking deal. Get off your lazy butt, lock the door and turn off the light by yourself. Put your big boy or girl pants on and do what is necessary.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow. Aside from the obvious lesson that once again, you are really on your own for your own safety and security, the liability aspects of this are just stunning. Had that been a spree killer (or when a spree killer does strike), the stories of professors just ignoring the event are really going to play well in court.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Those professors were negligent, no doubt.
    Kirk is right though, it does prove the PU is not able to protect any given student at any given time.
    However...
    The last thing you need in an active shooter situation is 300 students streaming into the halls from a large lecture hall.
    Everyone who is saying to get up and walk out is giving bad advice. IMHO

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How did the professors "make" the students stay? The last time I checked, college is not high school. Students can choose to attend class or party the whole day. Unless the professors said something like, "I will fail you if you leave," then they have no responsibility.

Also, what's stopping the students from locking the classroom doors? What's the professor gonna do, take points off on the final?

Ultimately you're responsible for your own safety. Wouldn't you think you'd know more about keeping yourself safe than people who spent their whole life in the books, none of which is about safety from active shooters?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Also, what's stopping the students from locking the classroom doors? What's the professor gonna do, take points off on the final?

Yes, that is exactly what they will do. I just finished a bachelors recently and there were quite a few teachers that graded by how much you kissed their, you know what. As much as they preached objective learning and weighing the facts out, at the end of the day if you did not agree with their point of view, it cost you on the final grade. Period. For anybody that has never been through college, it is just like a regular job. No matter how right you may actually be, keep your mouth shut and don't **** off the boss. Get your work done, go home, and forget about it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    We're getting various criticisms of the students here. One point is that they should have just left. The other is that they lock the doors themselves.

If they were that independent and heedless of authority, they would probably be carrying, too.

Kirk's point, whatever the students could have done, is that the university delegates a task to the profs, who are supposed to follow policy, and not make jokes or ignore events. That the profs thought it was fun'n'games shows a lack of training or disregard for training.

When officers fail to follow their training, INGOers shout. When profs do, well...

From JCOnline:
    There was some confusion about the meaning of the “shelter in place” directive, students said. According to Purdue’s emergency response website, under a “shelter in place” directive, students, faculty and staff should go to “a designated area of safety when it is not safe to go outside, such as an interior room with no or few windows, and taking refuge in that location.”Mike Young, a sophomore aerospace engineering student, said he heard various reports of professors who left their doors unlocked and continued teaching despite student pleas.
    “I had a friend who had to take a math quiz even after the email (about the shooting) was read,” Young said.

This SIP policy is what the Zionsville Moms say will protect us. Yet the minions of the Uni decided it was a joke. How about the Mommies direct some of their wrath toward these profs? Nah, won't happen.

Last edited:

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    I believe the profs need a good butt kicking but, if it were me in that situation grade or not my life is more important. I would have gotten up locked the door turned off the lights or moved a large desk infront of the door anything and everything i can do. Life and death dicisions are made in split seconds and some of those decisions made are sometimes against SOP. Thats was being a sheepdog is remember?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I am no longer in college. I can now easily say I would have defended myself, and found another school due to Purdue Firearm restrictions, and moronic teachers. If they are not intelligent enough to perceive danger (something a wild animal can do), why are they teaching me?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am no longer in college. I can now easily say I would have defended myself, and found another school due to Purdue Firearm restrictions, and moronic teachers. If they are not intelligent enough to perceive danger (something a wild animal can do), why are they teaching me?

Because the know best what you need. Tenure is a danger to our teaching system.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And never was the maxim about "not letting school get in the way of our education" more appropriate.

There are clearly some arrogant professor types in need of firing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't say it's a danger to our "teaching system". I would say it fits it perfectly. It a danger to our EDUCATION

It is still a danger. Once some of those elitists get Tenure they feel invincible. My wifes sisters both had issues with prof. in college that were pushing agendas.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We're getting various criticisms of the students here. One point is that they should have just left. The other is that they lock the doors themselves.

If they were that independent and heedless of authority, they would probably be carrying, too.

Kirk's point, whatever the students could have done, is that the university delegates a task to the profs, who are supposed to follow policy, and not make jokes or ignore events. That the profs thought it was fun'n'games shows a lack of training or disregard for training.

When officers fail to follow their training, INGOers shout. When profs do, well...

From JCOnline:

This SIP policy is what the Zionsville Moms say will protect us. Yet the minions of the Uni decided it was a joke. How about the Mommies direct some of their wrath toward these profs? Nah, won't happen.
    No logical basis for that statement.

RE blue text: My point is that the students are still operating on the "all authority is still held in the head of the class room" paradigm, and both professors and the university are taking advantage of that. This is one of those unintended consequences of boxing children in, literally, under the guise of providing an education. When are we teaching are children-to-young people HOW to think for themselves and be responsible for themselves if even well into the age of majority, we keep telling them that they are subordinate to the education system? aren't learning independence in schools. We know this because they can't exhibit any when the opportunity arises.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I think one point stands up and shows itself loud and clear in this incident. Universities are in the business of educating and preparing people for jobs, NOT security. They may be among the best in the country at cranking out Engineers and Scientists, but they SUCK at security. And why should they? If we're in charge of our own safety - and you truly are - then the only way to do that is to allow us to protect ourselves. Stop holding our education over our heads and allow us to protect ourselves!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Universities are in the business of educating and preparing people for jobs, NOT security. They may be among the best in the country at cranking out Engineers and Scientists, but they SUCK at security.

You're right on the mark, Mr Johnson. Also, let's try to remember that college students are adults, not first graders who rely on the teachers for everything. No one in his right mind would entrust his safety to professors.

With that said, Purdue should get their act together as to what to do in an emergency.

Top Bottom