• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I always write down my social security number, because of my last name. Makes things quicker. On the other hand I was always told, that they only have so long to call the shop back to say if you are clear or not. Every gun I have ever bought it has been within minutes.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    • Convicted of/under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, whether or not sentence was imposed. This includes misdemeanor offenses with a potential term of imprisonment in excess of two years, whether or not sentence was imposed.

Ummm, I thought one definition of a misdemeanor was that a potential sentence was a year or under??

Are there MISDEMEANORS where the sentence is over two years??

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I got delayed a few weeks ago on a Saturday. I did not use my ssn - I never give it out if I can help it. Monday morning the gun shop called to tell me the FBI gave me the all clear and I could come in any time. FWIW I've bought guns before and never had a delay.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If you are delayed they have 3 business days to finish the check and make sure it is good to go. They can finish the check before the 3 days and call and release the gun. They can not call at all and the gun shop has to release the gun after 3 business days. If the gun is released after the appropriate length of time and the check comes back a denial, they will come to your door and pick the gun up.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    If it continues to be a problem for you, you can go to the nics/fbi site and fill out and send in a vaf(voluntary appeal file) application. You fil it out and send it in and once they determine who you are and you are good to go they will issue you a unique id number that you use on the 4473 and it stops the delays. I had to do this awhile back. I would get delayed everytime I made a purchase. It always cleared. And I have an ffl. Now when I give the unique id number on the form I get cleared and away I go.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My last gun purchase was delayed due to a computer problem on the feds side. The shop said they had seen a ton of delays that day and that night on the news they talked about a virus that had affected some federal systems. This was on a Friday and I got the all clear on Monday. The 3 day rule only counts buisness days.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's unnecessary. I don't give out my SSN to anyone that truly doesn't need it, like an employer. Giving it out willy nilly to people you don't even know is asking for trouble. Add in the fact that I still remember when cards said "Not to be used for purposes of identification". 'Nuff said. I've never been turned down and my name's not totally uncommon.
    Get ready to START putting your SSN on things "for I.D.".
    Indiana BMV just passed a law REQUIRING an SSN to get a drivers license in the state. Starts in 2010.
    Unfortunately, MANY require an SSN nowadays, and the new cards do NOT say, "not for I.D." anymore!
    Get used to it!

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    If you are delayed they have 3 business days to finish the check and make sure it is good to go. They can finish the check before the 3 days and call and release the gun. They can not call at all and the gun shop has to release the gun after 3 business days. If the gun is released after the appropriate length of time and the check comes back a denial, they will come to your door and pick the gun up.

The FFL holder does not have to release the firearm in the event of no NICS response after a delay.

Also in the event of a denial after a delayed and a no response release, There is a good possibility that more than just the firearm is going to be picked up.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The FFL holder does not have to release the firearm in the event of no NICS response after a delay.

Also in the event of a denial after a delayed and a no response release, There is a good possibility that more than just the firearm is going to be picked up.

When I worked for a gun shop we were told we were to hold the gun for the NICS check for 3 business days, without a call. What each shop decides to do is up to them after 3 days.
    It is just common sense that if it comes back a denial they will pick up more than the gun.
    Are you like my first husband, everything has to be written out exactly for you to understand it?

chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    From what I know there are several reasons to delay it. The most common is that your name or soc # is close to that of someone who is not legally permitted to buy firearms. I believe the delay is just to verify that your indeed the person who you say you are and not the person who shouldn't be allowed to buy a firearm. Another common reason as someone stated above can be for previous legal mistakes you may have made or even something you were charged for even though charges were dropped. I hope this makes sense.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Happened to me Friday and it makes me mad too :xmad: i just bought one a month ago with no problems but this used to happen all the time(sometimes just an hour or two). i called a number, recieved a form, filled it out, certified letter sent it in, got a letter back saying it could be one of like 4 reasons. others with same name in my area, someone with close SS#, and a couple of other reasons i can't remember. If I had wanted to take the next step it was going to be a pain so i dropped it after i didn't have any delays later. I'm going to have to do the voluntary appeal file thing cause it ticks me off everytime and makes me feel like a dirt bag in front of dealers/people that don't know me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks Indyvet. I'll look into the unique id number. On the bright side Wally in Carmel had Federal 9mm in stock last night and this morning; 6 box limit. Luck ran out though, drove to Eagle Creek and it was closed today. Website said next week reduced hours but did not see anything for today.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    If the NICS check comes back delayed, they have 3 busines days to either proceed or deny it. I believe that after the thrid day, and the dealer hasn't heard back, they can transfer it at their descresion. Never heard of any delays longer than 3 days. Seems fishy.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Had it happen to me once, and it frustrated me too!. According to the guy at the Gun Shop, someone with the same name as mine bought a firearm in the same shop on the same day. That made sense to me, wanting to make sure the paperwork was OK. Still didn't make it any easier to wait though. I had bought several before that one and got them in minutes. Haven't bought one retail since, though. Makes me wonder if it will happen again.

Top Bottom