• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Any idea how to get a puppy to quit walking right under your feet? I have stepped on my new puppy twice because he just has to be under my feet constantly. He is 11 weeks old. It is a pain. I am not talking about taking him on walks, just walking through the house.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Awe, come on man, its just trying to get used to its new surroundings and wants to be close to its pack leader.

Use it as time to bond and teach him/her to heal. Its never to early to start training.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    I had the same issue with my Weimaraner. Honestly I just kept running into her. It was incredibly annoying but after a few weeks, she has learned to keep some distance.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just kick them out of the way, not hard, but not gentle. To get their attention and let them know it is dangerous. You can also add a command like "move out" to reinforce it. It is better than stepping on them.

Also, start leash training now. Teach them to "heal" on the left, and use the leash to guide the pup on your side. Take a course ASAP...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Any idea how to get a puppy to quit walking right under your feet? I have stepped on my new puppy twice because he just has to be under my feet constantly. He is 11 weeks old. It is a pain. I am not talking about taking him on walks, just walking through the house.

Ugh! Jealous! :):

I remember well that time. Enjoy it! Your new best friend is finding their way.

They will get it. Be kind and patient. Your effort will reward you for years!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

He wants to be with his pack (you). He'll learn, just give him some time.

Shift

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    4dxyrz5ov

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I just kick them out of the way, not hard, but not gentle. To get their attention and let them know it is dangerous. You can also add a command like "move out" to reinforce it. It is better than stepping on them.

Also, start leash training now. Teach them to "heal" on the left, and use the leash to guide the pup on your side. Take a course ASAP...

+1 million in every respect. dont stop, don't stumble, walk over him, as if he doesn't exist. move him with your shins. won't hurt the dog at all. associate a verbal command with the action.

as the other post said, need training. YOU need training, as the owner. dogs are pack animals, you have to be competent in your leadership of it, or it'll bite you in the ass, literally.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You're the only pack that puppy has. He's just a baby and is doing what his instincts tell him to do. Mine used to do the same thing. Give him time and whatever method you choose, be consistent with it. Mine is now almost 9 years old and understands "move" when he's in my way or "stay" when it's just easier to step over him as well as over a dozen other commands. I never did any kind of formal training with my dog but not every dog is capable of learning what you want them to without it. The biggest thing I've learned in training both my dogs and the many horses I've trained is consistency. Pick an approach and stick with it. That baby will learn before you know it. Just be mindful of where you step for now so you don't injure him

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    push here....gently at fist.

Our 2 year old shepard still gets under our feet. Sometimes he goes down, sometimes we go down.

We just order him down stairs first now.

Oh and when he gets excited he'll bowl over the boys like bowling pins to get a ball or rope.

Crashing through him a few times (after he was about 1 and still not getting it) for a few months eventually got him to move.......usually. But he is dumber than a box of rocks.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my malamute was the absolute WORST to train, and also the best. by nature I have a dominant personality and malamutes are pack dogs.

what i had to do was retrain my thinking and understand an animals motives.
    as i said, training is more for YOU than it is the animal. once you understand how an animal thinks, you'll never again have a problem figuring out people. unrelated that.

as a master, you are always right. you have no flaws, no faults, and no submission. YOU OWN this creature, its your property to do with as you wish. treat it right, as a good, well-trained dog is a partner in life.

my damn mal still gets in the way probably once a day. she knows when she does so, she does it for attention. after 6 years she knows which one of us will move when she plays chicken. she still gets bowled over every once in a while :n00b:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Step on him a couple of times. That'll get through. You need to be able to use your floor. I don't mean put your full weight on vital organs or limbs, just make it uncomfortable to be under you. Trillian is dumber than a sack of hammers too, but very good around me. I had to step on her, and told her to "get off my floor" a few times, now at 1 she'll lay at my feet while I sit but at least get out of my way when I move. We still have to train the 10 year old as well as her; she doesn't seem to realize she's at the bottom of the pecking order, including the cats.

Top Bottom