• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    Going to buy some punches, so I can do some detailed work on a couple of my pistols. Should I get steel, or brass? Going to be removing some roll pins. Thanks......MM

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Why not reuse a split roll pin ? They are spring steel and made to be reused if not damaged by pounding on them , that's why you need a roll pin punch and a bench block of some kind .Solid pins can be reused if the ends are not battered also.
    On a side note as a bench block i use a rubber hockey puck , drill several holes to match the pins and cut a v-way down the center .Works great and won't mar the finish on gun parts.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    Why not reuse a split roll pin ? They are spring steel and made to be reused if not damaged by pounding on them , that's why you need a roll pin punch and a bench block of some kind .Solid pins can be reused if the ends are not battered also.
    On a side note as a bench block i use a rubber hockey puck , drill several holes to match the pins and cut a v-way down the center .Works great and won't mar the finish on gun parts.
    thanks, I'll give that a try.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you decide to get the good US made roll pin punches (Grace USA), Midway had them about $5 cheaper than Brownell's when I got mine.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would suggest a set of brass, steel, roll pin, and roll pin starter punches. each one really has their own place and using one where it is not warranted will cause much headache.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    As i said before reuse ,them I have a CZ. That has been apart many times they use split roll pins all have been reused .I have High standard's that use solid pins and reuse them .It is nice to have spares on hand mostly in case 1 gets lost.
    Don't batter the ends of the pins!

Top Bottom