• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All of the recent semi-auto shotgun threads got me to wondering. . . . .

How would YOU compare a pump-action to a semi-auto shotgun, when the role is primarily self-defense?

I've heard many instructors and respectable folks say that the pump is the end-all in shotguns, and they prefer them to semi-autos. What I have yet to fully understand is, why?

In this day of high-capacity magazines, red dot sights, and the popularity of the AR platform, it would seem that semi-auto shotguns more closely mimic that type of shooting. We've traded lever-action rifles for semi-autos, so why haven't semi-auto shotguns been more widely adopted?

shotgun.jpg

Thoughts??

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hunting and Range Play give me that semi-auto shotty!!!

HD where my life will count on it I'll stick with my pump... Why you ask??

Few possibilities of something going wrong, I know there is one ready and waiting in the chamber and when I use it a simple movement brings the next one into play. No worrying about a $.03 O-ring Fing things up and it not cycling the next round.

Jstier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    SW Fort Wayne
    My Instructor (NRA Certified) prefers Pump. We have had that discussion many times. He is fine with either. He looks at it from a cost and reliability stand point. I am on the other hand am looking for a FNH SLP.
    Just my :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Few possibilities of something going wrong, I know there is one ready and waiting in the chamber and when I use it a simple movement brings the next one into play. No worrying about a $.03 O-ring Fing things up and it not cycling the next round.

:yesway: Have to agree with this idea. While I own semi-auto for all around versitility, it is hard to argue with the reliability of a good pump. Couple this with the lower cost, wide assortment of accesories and overall availability of the guns...it is easy to see why they are a popular choice.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    The pump is better because simply racking the slide action will scare off anyone who intends to do you harm.

If you have a HD shotgun and you need to chamber a round you are going to be in trouble. SOUND gives away position. Time to "rack" a round equals badguy .5 sec to empty the magazine in his FoTY.

Sorry if you are in my home uninvited you are a threat to my life and I do not want to scare you I want to protect my life and the lives of family.

I apologize for the thread jack I just had to comment on that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    reliability of a good pump. Couple this with the lower cost, wide assortment of accesories and overall availability of the guns...it is easy to see why they are a popular choice.

If the aftermarket caught up and produced an equal number of accessories for semi-autos, do you think they would still be less popular? (I realize this is an odd question, as why would they supply accessories for a less demanded platform)

I'm seeing you guys say "reliability" as a reason, and I've heard that before. Are semi-autos known to be less reliable in general? Why is this? The gas system?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Many 'experts' claim that a semi auto is not as reliable as a pump gun. Yet these same 'experts' happily carry semi auto pistols. While a pump gun can possibly handle a wider range of ammo reliably, that won't be an issue for a strictly defensive shotgun. These same pundits usually conveniently overlook the very real possibility of short stroking a pump gun under stress and the ability to run a semi auto one handed if necessary. FWIW I keep a semi auto for home defense and it eats anything from 3" 000 to #8 bird shot just fine.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Failures in a modern well made semi-auto are rare to the extreme. Some early versions of semi-auto shotguns did fail, often, and it made a lot of people "gun shy" to ever take another look at one.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I prefer the 870 for HD for the same reason I keep a S&W Model 15 on my night stand. Its always going to go bang when I pull the trigger. For me, semi-auto's are basically cool range toys. I do not carry a gun for a living.

I dont think the lever gun or bolt action are going away either. High capacity and faster follow up shots(sometimes) are no substitute for knowing how to use a rifle or shotgun. :twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

:yesway: i like the pump as well for reliability.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thoughts??

Once a specific self-loading shotgun has been verified to function 100% with the chosen ammunition, it can offer some distinct advantages over a pump-gun.
    • A self-loader (with some exceptions) delivers less felt recoil to the user. This is not an insignificant fact, especially for practice with buckshot and slugs.
    • A self-loader can be used effectively if one limb is unavailable for some reason. This is far more difficult with a pump gun.
    • A self-loader may be fired easily from positions other than standing in the open such as prone and around cover. While a pump gun may be fired one time easily, cycling the action when prone or from some improvised positions is far more difficult.
    • For most people, firing second, third, fourth, etc. shots with a self-loader is faster than with a pump gun, especially since felt recoil is reduced. This is especially true when more than one shot is fired to the same point of aim where there is no target-to-target transition time to minimize the time lost for cycling a pump gun.
    • Easier to fire and manipulate while moving
    • Self-loaders are far easier to manipulate and operate for people with certain body types (such as stubby t-rex arms).
    The advantages I see to a pump gun are:
    • Allows a wider range of ammunition to be used
    • Allows the buttstock to be shortened to any length since there are no moving parts located in the buttstock (which is not so for many self-loaders)
    • Less maintenance intensive than a self-loader
    As far as the reliability issue goes, I'm not buying that pumps are effectively more reliable than self-loaders. I've seen a lot more malfunctions induced in pump guns because of short stroking or some other user error than I have seen malfunctions of self-loaders. Certainly that's partially a training and practice issue, but it's also a reality and more likely to happen under stress.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Pump or Semi-auto

I prefer the 870P because its simplsitic design and even though none of my semi-autos have had any issues i have a deep trust of the 870P. Kinda hard to explain.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I keep a 11-87 police for home defence. I has fired everything from low brass target loads to 00 buck with no failures. The problem I see with a pump is short stroken it. I have taken several freinds skeet shooting and they try and use a pump gun. Very often they short stroke it because of the pressure of hitting the double birds little lone the pressure of protecting your family !

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep a 11-87 police for home defence. I has fired everything from low brass target loads to 00 buck with no failures. The problem I see with a pump is short stroken it. I have taken several freinds skeet shooting and they try and use a pump gun. Very often they short stroke it because of the pressure of hitting the double birds little lone the pressure of protecting your family !

Indeed.

Your 11-87 is an excellent choice for your application too! :yesway:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Rhino I'm with you on this, given the ability of many newer shotguns to reliably fire all kinds of loads there really isn't anything a semi auto shotgun can't do better except for it's recoil on your wallet.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I am just beginning to delve into the applications and usefulness of shotguns. Ergo, I am planning to run one of each at the practical shotgun match in Atlanta, in order to gain some knowledge, and a more definitive answer to this question.

I'm not going with the intention of getting a "winning" score. I just want to have fun with my shotguns. In addition, if I may borrow from Old Painless (box o' truth ), "shooting things is fun"!

Top Bottom