Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Radar detector?

1) don't speed.
    2) if speeding, don't be the fastest one. trail far enough behind someone else speeding, that a radar gun will catch them, and you'll catch the radar scatter, warning you.
    3) radar detector, and know it's advantages and limitations. Maybe know a little bit about radio wave propagation with relation to terrain.
    4) swivel. Keep an eye 360 degrees.
    5) if everyone else all of a sudden slows, they may be doing it for a reason.
    6) that guy coming up your tailpipe, he may be a cop.
    7) be aware of places speedtraps tend to be in your area.
    8) don't speed.

already answered.

jumpjet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indianapolis
    That does make sense! I have used a radar detector for a very long time, and would never go without one. I have not even pulled over for speeding in the last 15 years, but I do speed routinely. The radar detector has alerted me many times when I was glad it did. Being visually aware helps quite a bit too. Knowing when to be sensible about not taking the risk of speeding helps as well.

My question came from the fact that some vehicles do actually emit their own radar. I have been behind a certain vehicle (a Mercedes S550) different occasions that always emits a strong radar signal. I hadn't heard of that with any Ford, but it made me wonder.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My radar gun emits only when I press the trigger. I see you. I visually estimate your speed. I confirm it with a momentary trigger press on the radar gun. You'r mine before your detector warns you.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My radar gun emits only when I press the trigger. I see you. I visually estimate your speed. I confirm it with a momentary trigger press on the radar gun. You'r mine before your detector warns you.

True, but the detectors of all the other motorists will go off when you are speed checking that guy, thus warning them you are out there.

If you are using a laser on the other hand, then yeah, you can't really react in the time it takes the detector to pick up on the beam.

This is why I drive a car made out of an old F-117 air frame.

15907484.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I tend to run stationary radar only on roads or at times when traffic isn't heavy, so yes, my radar does warn the other drivers, but I already have my target identified when I press that trigger.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    An "instant on" radar has better chances, but not guaranteed.
    Zap someone a quarter mile ahead, and I still know you're there.
    And I've seen some regular radars that did a fine job, because the officer seemed to understand radar theory, and used terain to hide the signal.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The RADAR detectors are worthless...when you get whacked with VASCAR. :)

Yes.
    Any "active" measurement, radar, sonar, laser, can all be detected by passive means.
    But "passive" measurement, is stealthy. No defense, except knowing where they use it, or driving the speed limit.

Top Bottom