Public school bull**** heard from my stepkids.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    As often as 88GT and I disagree, I am still wildly entertained when I see her jump into a thread about public education and tear it to shreds.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Perhaps. I won't deny it. :): I graduated in '94 from a very large public high school in Indianapolis. I can't remember a single incident of a teacher using his/her position to influence a student's opinion to subvert the parental teachings (if it contradicted them). Not even in my World Lit class when we studied the holy writings of the various major world religions.

Of course it wasn't like one day the schools are just suddenly staffed with these kinds of teachers. The advance was incremental. It's possible it was in the earlier stages of the advance during my tenure and just hadn't reached my school/district yet.

Neither am I saying that it never occurred prior to a particular point in time. But there's no denying that it didn't used to be the systemic problem of proselytizing that we're seeing today. Or that there aren't still schools/districts where this isn't a problem. But I'm not taking the chance with my kids.

Hang in there! My boys education was a compilation of homeschooling, private, and public education. My youngest just graduated in the spring from public high school. He excelled academically and was a 'commended' national merit scholar. (A topic for a different thread there - unfortunately, not all about merit.).

Anyway, he loves to debate and is very skilled at it. I am proud of his ability to think for himself and present his views in an articulate manner.:):

I have much respect for anyone willing to take on the challenge and sacrifice of teaching and training their children.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Our public education system changed in the 1920's to mirror Nazi Germany's education system. They are taught to regurgitate knowledge, but not how to think. That is why my kids are home schooled and will never go to public school.

It would be more accurate to say that it was always like that ever since Horace Mann introduced the Prussian schooling model to the U.S.

We who are engaged in the sacred cause of education are entitled to look upon all parents as having given hostages to our cause.
    - Horace Mann, Father of Public Schooling in the U.S.

Children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society which is coming where everyone is interdependent.
    - John Dewey, founder of modern public schooling philosophy

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was in high school for the last election and there was some political discussion in US history and such but never from a band teacher. That's pretty far out there and there is no way that they can justify it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, all I have to say is this- all 4 of my kids are home schooled for a variety of reasons. Public schools with teachers who think they are being value neutral by instructing my children to reject my values is only one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I still don't see what is wrong, although I probably wouldn't have talked to students about the presidential election but rather focused on the Superintendent of Edu and Governor of Indiana.

And threatening people about their jobs isn't cool, period.
    Were they threats or predictions of what is to come? Just because you don't like what someone is trying to tell you, does not make it a threat. Especially when they were right.

Look at the stock market right now or to coin an old movie title.....The Day After. Still see it as a threat or truth telling?

Teachers can justify using children because they love them, the same way some parents justify strapping bombs on them. Total cowards play.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I also run into the issue with my 2 step daughters, ages 11 and 12. They both have teachers that will tell them how great Obama is and actually go as far as silencing their opinion when they try to discuss. I do have an appreciation of this because it gives me the oppurtunity to teach them about my opinions and the deeper issue of why their teachers would have such views. I do think it is innapropriate for teachers to be discussing this in classroom and refusing to allow the students to state their opinions on the matter. I have told my girls more than once that if the teacher would like I would be happy to come to their class for a debate. Never been accepted.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Perhaps. I won't deny it. :): I graduated in '94 from a very large public high school in Indianapolis. I can't remember a single incident of a teacher using his/her position to influence a student's opinion to subvert the parental teachings (if it contradicted them). Not even in my World Lit class when we studied the holy writings of the various major world religions.

Of course it wasn't like one day the schools are just suddenly staffed with these kinds of teachers. The advance was incremental. It's possible it was in the earlier stages of the advance during my tenure and just hadn't reached my school/district yet.

Neither am I saying that it never occurred prior to a particular point in time. But there's no denying that it didn't used to be the systemic problem of proselytizing that we're seeing today. Or that there aren't still schools/districts where this isn't a problem. But I'm not taking the chance with my kids.

I gradyee-ated in 1994 from a very small rural school (65 in my graduating class). We had a few teachers that felt teaching us "hicks" the right ways of the "city" was the right thing to do. In fact, my folks came in a few times and had "sit downs" with a few of them over some of their "teachings".

But that's what is different today. Parents, in general, don't care enough to actually TEACH their children morals, right/wrong and the basics in life. They expect the schools to do it for them.

<--- married to a Spec Ed teacher.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Our public education system changed in the 1920's to mirror Nazi Germany's education system. They are taught to regurgitate knowledge, but not how to think. That is why my kids are home schooled and will never go to public school.

Depends on the class and the teacher. Some people try to encourage kids to think for themselves and to be able to support their opinions with facts.

Nazi Germany did not start until the 1930's so I will call bull**** on your facts. Hitler became Chancellor in 1933. Homeschool might not be the way to go.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...But that's what is different today. Parents, in general, don't care enough to actually TEACH their children morals, right/wrong and the basics in life. They expect the schools to do it for them....

I don't doubt that at all. Actually taking an active roll in your child's education is hard work. Most people are lazy.

There are many ways for a parent to ensure a good education for their kids, public, private, home, but all of them take effort on the part of the parent or you are leaving the education to chance. There is no right choice for every person. Home schooling works well for us, but it is hard work.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom