• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    How observant are you of your surroundings? My guess is most would tend to believe that they are VERY observant of the world around them.

This experiment brings that into question. I would really like to see this expanded on. This experiment found 75% of people did NOT notice significant changes that took place directly in front of their faces!

I would have thought I would notice, but seeing this video makes me wonder. I'll be TRYING to pay more attention after this!

Psychology experiment. [VIDEO]

Not a bash by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to see this experiment run on a "line-up" of LEO's, surgeons, airline pilots. I think the results would be enlightening!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting, although I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions. I'd like to see the full study.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I might miss some things but I believe I would catch this one. I have a very hard time remembering names but I am a stickler at remembering faces...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    During our RA training in college, we had a few "observation" lessons.

One of those lessons involved one of the staff members coming in, making an off the wall announcement, then walking out.

We then had to write down what we saw / heard. Mannerisms, clothes, quotes, direction of travel, etc etc etc.

Rather eye opening.

And, of course, I found that I'm much better at observation if I'm "slightly removed" from a situation...where I can kind of stand back and observe.

Things get iffy when I'm up close and personal for there are too many other things going on, too many other things to keep track of.

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If 75% of folks don't notice something as major as a change in the person they're directly interacting with, do you REALLY think they notice a little bit of a bulge under your shirt when you're carrying concealed? Or the guys in ski masks coming through the front door with guns?

The vast majority of people are perpetually in Condition White.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Now I have an excuse for not noticing the old lady's new hairdo.

I think the big thing is they are focused on the task at hand (experiment) and not the person. If they were told that the person behind the counter had an important announcement, etc. for them, I think the results would be different.

Top Bottom