• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think that's the point. At the same time as the activists....and many non-activist who want to be "on the right side of history" repeat the refrain: "If it feels good do it", when faced with the ugly truth of what that really means, they will reject the logical end of that position.

The debate should not be about internal desires driving morality and legality, but about why​ some behaviors that may be rooted in innate predisposition (assuming that exists) may still be immoral and should be illegal.

By many, this is also a continuing quest to tear down "old timey" mores and standards. The foundation upon which many of those old timey ideas were supported are considered to be forcing another's morality down other's throats. With that in mind, who gets to choose the new foundation of what is moral and is not? Especially when it excludes others'?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    HoughMade said:
    I think that's the point. At the same time as the activists....and many non-activist who want to be "on the right side of history" repeat the refrain: "If it feels good do it", when faced with the ugly truth of what that really means, they will reject the logical end of that position.

I get what you're saying, I really do. I just find it odd that we have seen none of that happening. Not when it comes to children. A grown sports hero decides he wants to be a woman, and is called a hero. But we both know that if he announced that he wanted to molest 7-year old children, he would have been universally decried by the same groups.

GodFearinGunTotin said:
    By many, this is also a continuing quest to tear down "old timey" mores and standards. The foundation upon which many of those old timey ideas were supported are considered to be forcing another's morality down other's throats. With that in mind, who gets to choose the new foundation of what is moral and is not? Especially when it excludes others'?

"Old timey" mores and standards allowed prepubescents to get married and have babies with 20-something year old men. We've gone in the opposite direction. Non-consensual sexual activities are more taboo than ever. For years we've been facing problems of women crying rape after consenting to sex, and getting men thrown in prison for it. You've got feminists with 'triggers' who think they're being raped every time a man opens the door for them.

I think it's a more complex dynamic than you're acknowledging.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I get what you're saying, I really do. I just find it odd that we have seen none of that happening. Not when it comes to children. A grown sports hero decides he wants to be a woman, and is called a hero. But we both know that if he announced that he wanted to molest 7-year old children, he would have been universally decried by the same groups.

"Old timey" mores and standards allowed prepubescents to get married and have babies with 20-something year old men. We've gone in the opposite direction. Non-consensual sexual activities are more taboo than ever. For years we've been facing problems of women crying rape after consenting to sex, and getting men thrown in prison for it. You've got feminists with 'triggers' who think they're being raped every time a man opens the door for them.

I think it's a more complex dynamic than you're acknowledging.
    It probably is. I hadn't envisioned the trans-gender mania would have taken the country by storm after SCOTUS handed down their Oberfell (sp?) decision.

ETA: I also hadn't anticipated bakers, florists, wedding chapels, etc. being persecuted as they are.

Yeah, there's many unknown ways for this to continue to unfold. And to hang on to what the way things have been meaning they'll never change is one thing I've learned is folly.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    Churches, pews, and pulpits have many people that go through the motions, sing the songs, and say the prayers that don't really walk closely with Jesus. You have to read Steve's post in that light.

That was exactly my point, thank you for clarifying.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    It probably is. I hadn't envisioned the trans-gender mania would have taken the country by storm after SCOTUS handed down their Oberfell (sp?) decision.

ETA: I also hadn't anticipated bakers, florists, wedding chapels, etc. being persecuted as they are.

Yeah, there's many unknown ways for this to continue to unfold. And to hang on to what the way things have been meaning they'll never change is one thing I've learned is folly.

I wonder if our society's (probably unhealthy) worship and idealization of children has something to do with this dynamic.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If we treated a belief in racial equality like we treat Christianity, the moment we found someone who outwardly professed to believe in equality was an inner racist, we'd declare the idea of equality ridiculous and claim segregation was the only position an intelligent person could have.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    HoughMade said:
    If we treated a belief in racial equality like we treat Christianity, we moment we found someone who outwardly professed to believe in equality was an inner racist, we'd declare the idea of equality ridiculous and claim segregation was the only position an intelligent person could have.

ESkyeLO.gif

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There have always been sick people in the world who try to pass off every form of twisted behavior imaginable as normal, and who those who are good and honorable and courageous as the real enemy. Maybe different sicknesses come into and out of vogue at different times in history, and we sure seem to have our fair share. But in my short 60 year life span, the sickness around us is growing ever more prevalent. On the other hand, there have always been those willing to stand up for what is right, even to the point of dying, martyrs some call them. Maybe the modern martyr is more often one who courageously stands for what is right without caving in and is willing to take the heat, than those who actually die for it, at least in our culture. Maybe the martyr's life is more the real challenge for men of honor these days than the martyr's death. If only there were more men around with that kind of courage, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. If more honorable men would stand up for what they believe in with the same courage, at least the same boldness, as these sick twisted souls do, then maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Churches, pews, and pulpits have many people that go through the motions, sing the songs, and say the prayers that don't really walk closely with Jesus. You have to read Steve's post in that light.

I actually believe that argument is a bit of a cop out. Claiming anytime a follower does something bad is not actually a true follower but just a hypocrite going through the actions, is an just a way of trying to disassociate the actions of the follower from the religion. Jesus expects us to sin and knows we will continue to sin. Just trying to say that all true followers of Jesus are capable of sin and it doesn't mean finding Jesus will prevent these actions from happening.

but I really dont want to get in to a theology discussion/debate as I truly to not enjoy them.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I actually believe that argument is a bit of a cop out. Claiming anytime a follower does something bad is not actually a true follower but just a hypocrite going through the actions, is an just a way of trying to disassociate the actions of the follower from the religion. Jesus expects us to sin and knows we will continue to sin. Just trying to say that all true followers of Jesus are capable of sin and it doesn't mean finding Jesus will prevent these actions from happening.

but I really dont want to get in to a theology discussion/debate as I truly to not enjoy them.

Couldn't you say the same thing about every walk of life? For example, there are bad cops, but the vast majority are honorable. There are corrupt politicians (ok bad example :D) and bad lawyers, but most people still try to do their best. Religion, albeit true religion is good, just as law enforcement is good, the practice of law is good, the concept of a politician is (supposed to be) good. I think we need to get back to the notion of individual responsibility for one's actions and choices, and not condemn an entire religion, or profession, or other group of people because of the presence of a few bad apples. The bad apples will always be there.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    Hmmm...raising our kids to idology rather into grown-up adults?

That isn't quite what I meant. I was more referring to the way we let children rule our lives. I think it is noticeable in other things as well. Helicopter parenting (the bad kind). Leashes for kids. Calling the cops because mom and dad let their 10-year old play outside by himself.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words, but do you get where I'm coming from?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That isn't quite what I meant. I was more referring to the way we let children rule our lives. I think it is noticeable in other things as well. Helicopter parenting (the bad kind). Leashes for kids. Calling the cops because mom and dad let their 10-year old play outside by himself.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words, but do you get where I'm coming from?

Yeah I get it. And my remarks were a bit hyperbolic. But the funny thing is while parents are helicoptering and cowtowing to their own kids' wants (over and above their needs), we're also sexualizing them. We expose them to adult material and the culture seems to be inundating them with sex.

My wife and I were watching an episode of Big Bang Theory last night. I wonder how many people think it's fine to let their kids watch that show? I like the characters and the show can be really funny at times. I'm no prude and it probably damages my "walking with Jesus" cred when I say I enjoy it but it is replete with messages and overtones that I'm not sure is healthy for kids...and most all prime time tv seems to be chocked full of that stuff.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I get where you're coming from. I realized early on when parenting that one of the keys was that, while everything changes when you have kids and your schedule revolves around them, letting the kids know this is a grave mistake.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    Yeah I get it. And my remarks were a bit hyperbolic. But the funny thing is while parents are helicoptering and cowtowing to their own kids' wants (over and above their needs), we're also sexualizing them. We expose them to adult material and the culture seems to be inundating them with sex.

You're right, it seems backwards. We've decided that preteens experimenting with sex with each other is ok. We've even rationalized teaching it to them as a form of protection for them.

But there is still that over-protectionist trend that we are experiencing. And allowing adults to have sex with our children violates that principle.

This is why I think that even as the sexual progressives push more and more immorality in our faces, we won't be seeing a rise in acceptance of pedophilia any time soon.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You're right, it seems backwards. We've decided that preteens experimenting with sex with each other is ok. We've even rationalized teaching it to them as a form of protection for them.

But there is still that over-protectionist trend that we are experiencing. And allowing adults to have sex with our children violates that principle.

This is why I think that even as the sexual progressives push more and more immorality in our faces, we won't be seeing a rise in acceptance of pedophilia any time soon.

What do you see as the next frontier then? Do you think as soon as they get all the RFRA and gender/bathroom things all flushed, the SJWs will just go away? I certainly don't. There is no logical reason to deny any of the rest of the various groups out there "their rights", their protected classes. They just have to get us to warm up to the idea, maybe get a few laws repealed, and maybe get a couple of tv shows with a lovable representative of their group to change a few minds and we'll be on our way.

Top Bottom