• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    A little leery, to cut costs, generally they have to cut quality. Still a good deal for a entry level AR15 platform.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Their sales for the 4th of July were amazing. It was almost like the good old days were back again. Now if we could just get factory 223 ammo back at around $0.30 a round or less we'd be alright.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I bought a PSA upper based on INGO recommendations. I wouldn't do that again. An AR that won't handle steel cased ammo is no good to me and the PSA upper started suffering from cases stuck in the chamber after less than 200 rounds. I would scrub the chamber and it would for another hundred or so and then get stuck. Meanwhile, I've had 500 to 1000 rounds through my Century Arms Galil and my FN FS2000 with no where near the number of problems. So, I'm guessing the "mil-spec 5.56" chamber was a bit tighter than it was supposed to be. Or mil-spec 5.56 for the US military is a lot different than other militaries (Israel and Belgium respectively... plus my HK93 work great with steel cased ammo as well, before I sold it to buy an MP5 clone).

I sold the AR (making it clear it doesn't like steel and taking a bit of a loss on it in doing so) and bought myself a Rock River Operator, which I've had much better luck with (though I have only about 300 rounds through it so far).

I know shooting steel isn't a big deal to a lot of shooters, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that most reviews or discussions about a rifle don't include how a rifle operates with steel cased ammo. Steel cased ammo could be had for $100/1000 less than the cheapest brass pre-crisis (and hopefully we'll see a return to those prices in the next year), so it makes a huge difference if you shoot a lot. Hornady, a major American manufacturer, has been making steel cased ammo for the last couple of years, so I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot more steel cased ammo, not less.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    beowulf, sorry about your experience. I have a PSA middy and it eats everything, even when alternating brass and steel (in the interest of disclosure, my PSA is a .223 wylde chamber).

I have seen rifles from Colt to DPMS suffer from issues with steel cased ammo, but it definitely sucks when it's your rifle.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    beowulf, sorry about your experience. I have a PSA middy and it eats everything, even when alternating brass and steel (in the interest of disclosure, my PSA is a .223 wylde chamber).

I have seen rifles from Colt to DPMS suffer from issues with steel cased ammo, but it definitely sucks when it's your rifle.

I know. I had an old Colt HBAR II Sporter that ate everything I would throw at it. But a few years ago, I got it into my head that I wanted an M4 style rifle and my nightmare with steel began. I've been through 2 complete rifles and 3 uppers (well 3 complete rifles if you count the Rock River I just bought). My problems with steel in multiple ARs have almost convinced me to dump the whole AR platform. I might have already done it too, if the FN SCAR 16s weren't so ungodly expensive. :D

It could also be that I should stop expecting even a $1000 rifle (like my Rock River Operator) to compare with a $1600 rifle made by an actual military contractor, though the fact that my two Century Arms butcher jobs (the Galil and the HK93 both worked well with steel kind of wreck that...however, to be fair, Century didn't make the barrels or chambers, IMI and HK did, so maybe that's still a valid comparison).

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought a PSA upper based on INGO recommendations. I wouldn't do that again. An AR that won't handle steel cased ammo is no good to me and the PSA upper started suffering from cases stuck in the chamber after less than 200 rounds. I would scrub the chamber and it would for another hundred or so and then get stuck. Meanwhile, I've had 500 to 1000 rounds through my Century Arms Galil and my FN FS2000 with no where near the number of problems. So, I'm guessing the "mil-spec 5.56" chamber was a bit tighter than it was supposed to be. Or mil-spec 5.56 for the US military is a lot different than other militaries (Israel and Belgium respectively... plus my HK93 work great with steel cased ammo as well, before I sold it to buy an MP5 clone).

I sold the AR (making it clear it doesn't like steel and taking a bit of a loss on it in doing so) and bought myself a Rock River Operator, which I've had much better luck with (though I have only about 300 rounds through it so far).

I know shooting steel isn't a big deal to a lot of shooters, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that most reviews or discussions about a rifle don't include how a rifle operates with steel cased ammo. Steel cased ammo could be had for $100/1000 less than the cheapest brass pre-crisis (and hopefully we'll see a return to those prices in the next year), so it makes a huge difference if you shoot a lot. Hornady, a major American manufacturer, has been making steel cased ammo for the last couple of years, so I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot more steel cased ammo, not less.

Huh. I have a PSA M4 upper and all I've ever run through it is TulAmmo steelcase. The very first round I ever chambered I had to hit the forward assist (I think there was some excess lube or something in the barrel) and after that I haven't had a FTF or FTE. Maybe 200 rounds? Only taken it to the range once. Did you do anything to your extractor on your BCG?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Back before I started reloading and could only afford steel, I probably ran 500-1000 brass through my 5.56 PSA middy AR without cleaning and without any issues to speak of.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Back before I started reloading and could only afford steel, I probably ran 500-1000 brass through my 5.56 PSA middy AR without cleaning and without any issues to speak of.

Could be that my upper's chamber was cut too tight, which could explain the failures. I don't know. :dunno:

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    My PSA has eaten everything I have fed it. The first thing I ran through it was steel and have since ran 223 and 556 steel and brass well over 1200 rounds and have not had a single problem. The first time I took it out I shot 500 rounds of steel 223 without incident, took it home didn't clean it then took it out 3 days later and ran another 500 rounds of steel/brass (mostly brass this time) with the same results not a single problem. It was however a filthy mess when I went to clean it that evening.

Top Bottom