• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Indeed it is and most people I know wouldn't do as you ask (myself included) simply because I can only tell you the firearm works as intended at the last time I used it. I also wouldn't give any written info to someone "I don't know from Adam". As stated by you, we wouldn't be doing business unless I did so it's all moot in the end. :cool:

...and just out of curiosity.... if you wanted to buy a fiream from me, and I told you, "I can only tell you the firearm works as intended at the last time I used it."..... you would be comfortable with that? A statement like that sounds to me like all sales final. if you buy it, that's it. That doesn't instill lots of confidence in me as a buyer..... but that's just me.....

To each his own.....

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Jay - in fairness to people - there is a difference between a _dealer_ and _person selling off an old gun of theirs_ ... and I do realize that SOME in the INGO classifieds are somewhere between the two. :D

A DEALER I would fully expect to stand behind what they sell. If for no other reason than it's a) the right thing to do and b) it's a way to keep a customer.

A _person selling their gun_ cannot stand behind it in the same way. At some point, they have to cash the check.

So what can we reasonably expect of someone selling their gun on INGO??
    Here's my take:
    a) be COMPLETELY honest about the known history of the firearm in question.
    b) be COMPLETELY honest about what is NOT known historically about the gun.
    c) offer you an opportunity to have your smith/range/etc to check it out. Or be reasonable if asked to do so.

I'm not sure that a private seller can offer much more than that. They can try to make it right if you discover after the fact that something was not as they said it was. *I would sure as heck do that as much as I could* Why? I value my good name and couldn't live with myself if I didn't. If you got a gun/car/whatever from someone in the Indy Red Star classifieds what would you expect? Probably even a little less than the above!!

A DEALER on the other hand - you expect to be able to go back to a week later if you have a problem with the firearm , and have the dealer figure out how to make it right, send it in for service or SOMETHING to COMPLETELY straighten out an issue.

Jay, it sounds like you may be expecting dealer level service from private individual. I'm not sure that they are TOTALLY capable of that.

There's likely a REASON that I have not SOLD anything on INGO. I value the friends that I have made here too highly to take the chance of violating their expectations. Jay, we live in different parts of the state, but I've respected your opinions here on INGO. I would NEVER want to UNINTENTIONALLY lose your respect by selling you a weapon and not having a happy buyer down the line - because our expectations were different.

I have bought things here on INGO and always been more or less happy. To the degree I wasn't happy, I figured it was my fault for not looking the weapon over more closely at the time of purchase. That's the difference between buying from a dealer showroom and from the classifieds. That's also why the prices are cheaper -or should be - when buying from a private individual. Just my two centavos, sir. And Que, I do believe that this is a good thing to discuss from time to time. Having the discussion keeps people's expectations more closely aligned - and that saves on arguments, heartache, bad feelings down the line.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Jay, it sounds like you may be expecting dealer level service from private individual.
    Not at all... I expect ethics.

Most ethical folks don't have "I'm ethical" tattooed on their forehead. If I know the person I want to buy from, that's great. If I've been given good reps about this seller, that's great too. But, if I know nothing about a person, and they shy away from " I'll guarantee this firearm to function safely as designed" for the first range outing, that indicates to me that the seller may be trying to sluff off something that may well have a problem..... and I'll buy elsewhere.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that my way is best, and it matters not to me how anyone else makes a purchase. I've not been burned buying a firearm from an individual, but lots of folks have. It's completely an individual call.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    All this time I thought you just had to take a MOD with you. :ingo:

For me its not a 50 post count or 10$ site supporter fee that gets my my trust and business. You better be a contributer with a good rep. If I don't like your presentation, attitude or politics then keep your gun.

Jay - I will give you all my info, your asking price, plus my first born for the 41.:D

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    hey... that would mean another tax deduction.:rockwoot:.. my wife says "we'll consider it".. :scratch: .. geeze... that 41 is older than you are, guy.... if I call it vintage, maybe I can get more for it...:whistle:... I will guarantee it to function safely, and as designed, unless you damage it.... :rolleyes:

I probably best keep the 41, but you and the family are more than welcome to shoot it on the 30th if you can make it up here.

Semper Fi, sir :patriot:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    FULL DISCLOSURE on the tax deduction. He turns 12 Wednessday and I think the teenager stage has already started. Right now he is grounded for failure to turn in his homework. Get this he took 7 O's in the last 2 weeks of the grading period and still got a C+. That just pisses me off. SOLD

Mods you can close this thread we have a deal.:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Jay - in fairness to people - there is a difference between a _dealer_ and _person selling off an old gun of theirs_ ... and I do realize that SOME in the INGO classifieds are somewhere between the two. :D

A DEALER I would fully expect to stand behind what they sell. If for no other reason than it's a) the right thing to do and b) it's a way to keep a customer.

A _person selling their gun_ cannot stand behind it in the same way. At some point, they have to cash the check.

So what can we reasonably expect of someone selling their gun on INGO??
    Here's my take:
    a) be COMPLETELY honest about the known history of the firearm in question.
    b) be COMPLETELY honest about what is NOT known historically about the gun.
    c) offer you an opportunity to have your smith/range/etc to check it out. Or be reasonable if asked to do so.

I'm not sure that a private seller can offer much more than that. They can try to make it right if you discover after the fact that something was not as they said it was. *I would sure as heck do that as much as I could* Why? I value my good name and couldn't live with myself if I didn't. If you got a gun/car/whatever from someone in the Indy Red Star classifieds what would you expect? Probably even a little less than the above!!

A DEALER on the other hand - you expect to be able to go back to a week later if you have a problem with the firearm , and have the dealer figure out how to make it right, send it in for service or SOMETHING to COMPLETELY straighten out an issue.

Jay, it sounds like you may be expecting dealer level service from private individual. I'm not sure that they are TOTALLY capable of that.

There's likely a REASON that I have not SOLD anything on INGO. I value the friends that I have made here too highly to take the chance of violating their expectations. Jay, we live in different parts of the state, but I've respected your opinions here on INGO. I would NEVER want to UNINTENTIONALLY lose your respect by selling you a weapon and not having a happy buyer down the line - because our expectations were different.

I have bought things here on INGO and always been more or less happy. To the degree I wasn't happy, I figured it was my fault for not looking the weapon over more closely at the time of purchase. That's the difference between buying from a dealer showroom and from the classifieds. That's also why the prices are cheaper -or should be - when buying from a private individual. Just my two centavos, sir. And Que, I do believe that this is a good thing to discuss from time to time. Having the discussion keeps people's expectations more closely aligned - and that saves on arguments, heartache, bad feelings down the line.

I think you make some very valid points. I think about what many of the old-timers say INGO used to be, which is a family. Some of them bring up the closeness of the old days and wish INGO could remain the same. We all know things change and, yes, significantly from 1,000 to 14,000 members. I understand that 14,000 aren't active, but of that number, there are those who can come in at any time to sell their wares and just move on, because to them, INGO is only a selling spot. They have no loyalty to the forum or the members.

If I sell something in the Star, you can lose my number (to a certain degree), but if someone buys something from me on INGO and finds it doesn't work, I would like the opportunity to make it right. I realize things break and Murphy's Law would cause a firing pin to break as soon as money is exchanged, but this is not expected to happen on three successive deals.

Also, I check how often a person posts (daily, weekly, etc.). This helps me to know how often they check in. It would seem very funny if a person is on every day and as soon as they sell something, they stop checking in or answering PMs.

Lastly, I have no problem giving someone my cell phone number. I would think it strange if someone didn't want to give up a phone number to call them prior to a meeting. This would be a red flag for me.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    FULL DISCLOSURE on the tax deduction. He turns 12 Wednessday and I think the teenager stage has already started. Right now he is grounded for failure to turn in his homework. Get this he took 7 O's in the last 2 weeks of the grading period and still got a C+. That just pisses me off. SOLD

Mods you can close this thread we have a deal.:D

PM sent so as not to hijack the thread any further ... :patriot:

Top Bottom