Proof that sometimes seat belts are useless...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just found these pictures and scanned them. I just wanted to show living proof that seat belts don't always save lives. I was told by the paramedic AND the investigative officer that I almost certainly would have been strangled or worse by my belt if all the witness statements were true.

I was LUCKY I DIDN'T WEAR MY SEAT BELT.

This was my very first vehicle ever. 89 Ranger, 4cyl, 5spd. Was T-Boned by an 83y/o woman who ran a red light. My friend and I spun around 3 times sending the black box and that home stereo speaker flying 70yrds. Was not wearing seat belts and we both walked away pretty well unharmed.

That day we'd just gotten out of school. I had my license for about... 10 months maybe? We dropped my stuff off at my house and was getting ready to pull out on US40. Light turned green, I didn't see it and my friend told me to go. I was fumbling with a CD and didn't see her coming. My friend said "OH :poop:" and I looked over in time enough to say "Son of a..." and she hit us.

Blacked out for about a few seconds. When I came to, my friend was holding my arm and his other hand was bloody from road rash. Apparently the door swung open and he put his hand down while grabbing the shifter to hold on. After his head went through the back window. :): It's ok, he's got a hard head. :D

During the spin, the black truck box, which was bolted through to the FRAME, flew open on one side and OUT the bed! It rested 40yrds away, the house speaker box landed about 70yrds away, and my school bag in the bed flew out and landed on the hood of a stopped car in the eastbound lane of 40. :laugh: I was shocked.

My jacket was caught between the door and the seat and I was afraid it was my leg or something. :dunno: took off the jacket and got out and the old lady was about 1/4mile down the road having a heart attack. Literally. Luckily she lived.

First picture with me in it kneeling also shows on the bottom right the back of the car she was driving. The front end was like something cut 1/3 of the car off. :n00b: You can see how lucky I was.

199789RangerWreck1.jpg

199789RangerWreck2.jpg

199789RangerWreck3.jpg

199789RangerWreck4.jpg

199789RangerWreck5.jpg

199789RangerWreck6.jpg

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    I will never wear seat belts.
    I was rear-ended by a van, car exploded and flipped up breaking the windshield in the process. According to witnesses I climbed out the windshied-I remember nothing except seeing a grill in my rearview-next thing I remember I was in a ambulance looking down at my burning car which they had pushed off the road.
    I have no idea how I got out-let alone if I had been strapped in.
    I also know in other circumstances that seat belts do help-I just don't believe I would be here had I worn mine that day.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While I am a firm believer that the insurance companies shouldn't be legislating safety (because it really was the insurance companies that pushed seatbelt and helmet laws...), I've personally witnessed too many instances where seatbelts made the difference. Literally hundreds of instances.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Seat belts keep you in the vehicle. Nine times out of ten if you are thrown from the vehicle you are gonna die, probably crushed by your own vehicle. I'll wear mine thanks. Hope I'm not behind you non wearing folks when you roll your car.Bet while yer friend in the ranger was scooting his hand across the pavement to stay in the car, he was thinking "man I wish I had worn my seat belt!"
    Seen a few accidents that should have been non injuring require a trip to the hospital because the guy wasn't wearing his seat belt.
    My opinion:you're dumb not to.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'll quit wearing them when I see Indy car drivers give them up. Until then, I'll assume that when a car hits a wall at over 200mph and disintegrates, that the seat belts had something to do with the driver walking away.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've seen hundreds of crashes over the years that wearing a seatbelt saved a life or prevented serious injury...mine even. I did see a truck that flipped. The driver was not seatbelted and was thrown out a side window. You get thrown the direction of the truck flipping. He was crushed by his own truck. I also remember a crash that the guy was driving a Ranger. He hit another car without wearing his seatbelt. It wasn't a high speed crash or anything. He ate windshield. Every inch of his face was cut from the glass. His glasses were imbeded into the windshield. Or like the motorcyclist that was hit and witnesses saw him fly in the air for 30 ft. He hit head first on the street. He was wearing a helmet and suffered nothing significant. Safety equipment (if used properly) will save your life WAY more times than it could possibly hurt. Heck, I hit a car broadside doing about 50-60 mph. Threw the other vehicle 50ft. We both were wearing our seatbelts and both walked away unhurt. Glad NOT wearing your seatbelt worked out well but I would not bet your life that you will get that lucky again.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Should you wear a seatbelt? Yup. 99.999% of the time they are going to keep you from getting serious injuries.

Should the govt force you to wear a seat belt? No. If you want to find out what a windshield and asphalt taste like that's on you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Should you wear a seatbelt? Yup. 99.999% of the time they are going to keep you from getting serious injuries.

Should the govt force you to wear a seat belt? No. If you want to find out what a windshield and asphalt taste like that's on you.
    Ha, unless they claim disability and start drawing SSI. Then we all pay for it...just saying.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east

This except, thinking about when I was young and my own kids driving some day. I would still accept a seatbelt law for persons under the age of say 18 or 21.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    years back I had a chance to be behind the cars involved in a head on crash. Only on a road with 45 mph speed limit. 2 of the 3 people in the car were not wearing seatbelts. The two without seatbelts died at the scene. The lady with seatbelts was hurt very bad, but lived

One of the drivers was ejected and was dead on the road. He was a mess from going through the windsheild

The passagen in the other car was a folded, broken mess under the dash on the passager side of the front seat. There was nothing to do to try to save him

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

This is exactly how I feel. I always wear seatbelts because it is the smart thing to do. Letting the government tell me what is smart to do makes me give up my free will to some politician. Same for the comments on injured people going on SSD. Take that away, let me keep my money and let morons kill them selves. In a generation or so our society will greatly improve in quality if we stop protecting idiots from their own bad choices.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    This is exactly how I feel. I always wear seatbelts because it is the smart thing to do. Letting the government tell me what is smart to do makes me give up my free will to some politician. Same for the comments on injured people going on SSD. Take that away, let me keep my money and let morons kill them selves. In a generation or so our society will greatly improve in quality if we stop protecting idiots from their own bad choices.

^^^. This. And if it eliminates enough of the gene pool, we wont even need those vaccines. :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i agree that seat belts are better. but I just dont want a cop trying to be my mommy and making me wear it. the seat belt law is constitutionaly illegal. i always try and wear my seat bely, just for my own safety. not because im scurrrred of the popo

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    My dad was a fire fighter, then a paramedic and then a police officer. He said that with all the accidents he had seen he would never wear his seat belt. He seemed to prefer his odds without it. But he always wore a helmet when he rode his motorcycle.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Not to mention... My explorer will literally ding, ding, ding you to death until you put it on. I always wear my seatbelt anyway, but if I'm sitting parked with the motor running, that dinging sound makes me want to find its source and shoot it.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I have seen many accidents in my job setting, and I believe that its close to 50-50 chance that the seat belt will save you or KILL you.

Examples: a passanger car on the interstate going 55mph, rear ended a semi. He was alive when we cut him out, he told us that he tried to lay across the seats to avoid his head comming in contact with the semis bumper at 55mph, but the seat belt had locked as he hit his breaks, he latter died from a bleed in the head.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Not to mention... My explorer will literally ding, ding, ding you to death until you put it on. I always wear my seatbelt anyway, but if I'm sitting parked with the motor running, that dinging sound makes me want to find its source and shoot it.

FYI, many vehicles have a way to turn that off. Read your owners manual. It usually involves a sequence of turning the key a certain number of times and latching and unlatching the seat belt or something like that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom