• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm a Hornady LNL AP user and love it, but honestly, Dillon and Hornady both make great machines.

The real question is... does ANYBODY use an RCBS progressive? I've never even seen one.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I own two Dillon 550Bs and if I weren't heavily invested in Dillon products, I would probably go with Hornady LNL AP because I think the features that differentiate them from Dillon appeal to me.

That said, they aren't bad presses. Customer service is one thing I've always heard Dillon does better than everyone else, well, I don't think it is what it used to be. I'm not saying I shouldn't have had to buy the part I bought, but with all the "Just call them and they send you whatever you need without charging you" I expected a different result. FYI, the plastic primer tip on my 550b became unusable, so I called them and ended up buying a parts kit since they wanted to charge for the little part and I figured I may as well if they are going to break and I'm on the hook for buying replacements.

angus6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    I did this last year, decided on the LnL but came across some deals on Dillon's that were no brainers so now I've got a 550,650,and 1050 but still think if I was paying retail I have the LnL over the Dillon's.
    Here's something that I noticed I can find Dillon's @ under .50 on the dollar every couple months but have yet to find that kind of deal on a LnL.

Warranties they all have great ones and really will treat you the same one failed parts

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    At some point I will be getting a Hornady LNL AP, just because I am a "reloading tool junkie"!

I have 6 Dillon presses, one Lee Turret and several single stage.

Of the 6 Dillons I have, I only bought one new, an XL650. 4 of the six came off of ebay @ 60 cents on the dollar for new. One of the Square Deal Bs I have I gave $150 for with a bunch of other stuff.

The Hornady's just haven't been out long enough to get a good following or to show up on the used market yet. Folks that bought them are still using them OR they haven't collected enough dust to be an eye sore yet. Seems to work both ways.

I am working on a guy that has a Hornady that doesn't load much. Maybe in a year or two he will give it up! ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My buddy down in Seymour has a L-N-L and it's a cool unit. We were test firing his Ruger #1 in 460S&W and stumbled on a surprisingly accurate load. He was pretty happy about it and immediately went into his shop to crank out ten of them. In addition to dang near one-hole groups at 100 yards, he printed a 3-shot group at ~285 yards that was just over 3 inches. He cranked those loads almost as fast as I can type the story and I was impressed by how solid the press is and how quickly he was able to make such accurate ammo. No flies on the L-N-L, that's for sure! ;)

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    hornady

I just purchased a LNL after a lot of research. So far, I had to call about a issue with the timing. Got it fixed, waited a couple weeks till I had time to reload and made 6 rounds before the pawl broke. Called Hornady and new one is on the way. very nice people, no long waiting on phone. Hope I never have to call again though!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It's good to see there are so many Hornady users and to hear the positive feedback.
    I love mine and it has been trouble free.
    The only things I have replaced are the case retaining spring and the clear powder tube when mine got hard to see through and Hornady even sent me a free one when I called to order it.

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    458 great question! I am also looking at a progressive and its between Dillion and Hornaday. For as many as I load, at this point leaning toward Hornaday, but need to make sure it can load everything from 380 to 300 weatherby. Thanks for saving me some time.

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    Presses

I have 2 Hornadys, 1 old , 1 newer, both function great once you get them adjusted, Hornady has always been there to repalace or talk and help. GO RED GO!!!!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    Dillon 1050 for loading my 5.56, Dillon 650XL for loading my 30-06 and .308, Star Progressive for my 45 ACP, 38 special and .357, Lyman Turret for 30-30, and Lyman single stage for miscelaneous stuff.

Top Bottom