Progressive presses --- what's good these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have been quite enamored with the Hornaday Lock 'n' load collet system. I have tried to justify to myself getting their single stage press for the purpose of exploring this system, but I've yet to do it. Is it as slick as it seems?

For those that have a Rockchucker, you can get a L-N-L bushing that fits it after removing the reducer bushing from the press. This enables you to use the L-N-L system for easy removal of dies. Yes, the system is easy and convenient.

I have been using a Pacific/Hornady progressive press for many years. 15 to 20, I guess. Lost track of time. I started loading 32 years ago on a Pacific single stage press. I've had the AP L-N-L for 8 years. I't a great system and great press. It is on par with the Dillon 650. They have made some evolutionary updates. Mostly to case ejection. I have used Dillons, but prefer the ergonomics on the L-N-L. I load 24 different cartridges and all but a couple are loaded on this press.

Steve

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I've deciding I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a LNL AP soon, hopefully resellers have some good black friday deals.

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    I was just sitting here thinking....

Years ago I got a Dillon 650 and have been loading happily along. It was premium priced compared to the other brands back then, but the consensus was that it was head and shoulders above in terms of quality and reliability. Well, it is still demanding top dollar. What has the competition done in this time? Are the fully progressive press offerings from the 'other guys' gaining ground quality wise?

I'm in no need of a new press, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to hear what people are using and how competition in this arena is developing. Anyone have any experience they want to share?

Thanks,
    Brian

If you're a serious loader and need to produce some quantity Dillon is the only way to go. If you're less than serious and want to put a few rounds together for an occasional plinking session then the Dillon product probably isn't for you. The competition if you can call them that sells their product at a much lesser price for a reason, they use lots of plastic and pot metals in their construction, you get what you pay for.
    To answer your question, the competition hasn't really caught up to Dillon and I don't think they've tried to make a machine to offer any serious competition to the Dillon market.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    RL550 all the way on handgun loads.. RockChucker for rifle loads..Bill

I load several bottleneck pistol and rifle cartridges on my Hornady L-N-L AP. They are very accurate rounds. Although I do this in two stages. I will size and decapp the cases, tumble them to clean the lube off, then prime them with a hand tool. Then I will run them thru the press again to add powder and seat the bullet. Granted this is similar to a single stage, but it is still faster. I prefer hand seating the primers on bottleneck rounds, except for .223s. There are still times when I use my RockChucker or All American, but a progressive press can load very accurate bottleneck ammo.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My brother is a big fan of the saying 'buy once, cry once' - in the context that you should buy the higher end thing so that you don't spend the money on the cheaper one, then later end up upgrading anyway. That is the approach I ultimately took that led me to Dillon when I went progressive. At that time, we were dual incomes, no kid. Now we have a kid and one income, so things are a bit different. Not sure if I'd still end up with the Dillon today, just based on money. The Dillon stuff I have though is top notch and I can't imagine anything better out there, aside from maybe an industrial production machine.

A rental program for this stuff would be awesome - try before you by.

-Brian

pamchuck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Lanesville
    Dillon is defintely the way to go for loading lots of ammo quickly. You can't beat the quality of Dillon. I had a 550 years ago when we were shooting and reloading 500-1000 rounds a week. Then I sold it as I got out of reloading for a while. I am currently using a Lee turret press to load 9mm, 38/357. I miss the Dillon, but can't justify the cost as I'm not reloading like I was 20 years ago.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a Dillon 550 i bought in 1995... I have put over 150,000 rounds through it ranging from 9mm to 45/70 and would not go any other route. It is one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I have ever owned. I plan on picking up a 650 as the rest of the family starts shooting more so i can keep up with our increasing ammo demands.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If you get the 650, spring for the case feeder. It makes a HUGE difference in how many rounds you can crank out per hour. I went without one for years getting about 300-400/hr. With it I'm easily doubling that.

-Brian

TakLine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    IndyNorthSide
    I was extraordinarily fortunate to have a forum member here (who I won't name in case he wants to stay anonymous, but who can identify himself if he wishes :)) gift me his Pro2000 that wasn't exactly what he was looking for. It was an amazing act of generosity, and is a testament to just how excellent a group of members we have here on INGO. In any case, that was how I acquired my RCBS; not through any perceived failing of the Dillon. Interestingly I've also run several Lee Pro1000s, and firmly believe there is a place for them in reloading circles, too. They are ingeniously designed to be effective and inexpensive. They do require someone who is willing to tinker a bit. When set up well, they are exceptionally fast machines, easily outrunning my Dillon and my RCBS, although I can get close on the RCBS. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the reply. Seems as though Dillon is the consensus for many members. Especially if their time is worth the money :) Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom