• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I've searched the forum and have yet to find a post where someone hopped off their high horse and said they felt remorse for taking advantage of getting a great deal from/ raping someone with no knowledge of what the worth was of the item being sold. I'm not the guy on ebay selling the info where to backorder pmags for 12 bucks. But damn I wish I had thought about that. Some people have too much disposable cash, I don't have that problem. So I don't see a problem with separating a fool from his money.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think all of this hysteria is GOOD!!! Yes it sucks for people who want to buy AR stuff, but all of this panic buying might turn some heads in Congress.... Might have some politicians thinking twice before voting for bans or pushing gun control...

I do not have a problem with panic buying and I do not have a problem with gun stores or private sellers making profit...

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ILLEGAL PROFITEERING THO!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it illegal to buy firearms with the ONLY intent to resell at a profit without a FFL?

And if it is illegal... then those who are blatantly doing it on INGO should get the ban hammer. (yes I am aware that it would be hard to prove... but it is a provision that should at least be outlined to deter these guys)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think all of this hysteria is GOOD!!! Yes it sucks for people who want to buy AR stuff, but all of this panic buying might turn some heads in Congress.... Might have some politicians thinking twice before voting for bans or pushing gun control...

I do not have a problem with panic buying and I do not have a problem with gun stores or private sellers making profit...

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ILLEGAL PROFITEERING THO!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it illegal to buy firearms with the ONLY intent to resell at a profit without a FFL?

And if it is illegal... then those who are blatantly doing it on INGO should get the ban hammer. (yes I am aware that it would be hard to prove... but it is a provision that should at least be outlined to deter these guys)

I wasn't aware of an ffl requirement in the 2a.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Think for a second about the position you're taking.

I bet you would say that those folks who charged $8 a gallon down in New Orleans after Katrina were also profiteering, right? They are "gouging" and taking advantage of people in a desperate situation.

But it ends up being a good thing. The temporarily high price of gasoline stimulates supply and ends the shortage in the areas where such relief is most needed.

After all, if you found yourself recovering from a hurricane, would you rather have gasoline available for $8 a gallon, or have no gasoline at all?

Likewise, the "gouging" of AWB related gear is, in the long term, a good thing. For one, it brings the supply out of the woodwork and means that if an AWB does go into effect, there will be more pre-ban units floating around from which to choose.

Those shieks in the middle east aren't jacking us around on oil prices-- not as you may think they are. After all, if they had the power to arbitrarily raise the price to $200/bbl, why aren't they? Could it be that they need us to buy their oil as much as we need them to sell it?

Moreover, if the middle east wasn't pumping out oil, we'd all be poorer because cheap energy is one of (if not the single) greatest enabler(s) of our current standard of living.

Everyone is all "yay! Free market!" when it means they can buy cheap Chinese crap at Wal-mart and raise their standard of living. But you pick up both ends when you hoist this stick.

The free market does eventually put this nonsense back in check-- which is why we must work to maintain a free market.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Actually there is a proposed ban, a definite shortage, REAL pending legislation in one week on hi-cap magazines, and rumors that are true stemming from the actual release of Diana Fiensteins AWB plan.

So there is a proposed ban, not even yet introduced to either the senate or house? Check. A shortage caused by, well, us? Check. Legislation not yet introduced to either the house or senate...again? Check. And rumors based on a document that has been in circulation for years and was constantly updated by Feinstein? Check. If you wanted to bolster my argument you could have done it in less time. Thanks.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So there is a proposed ban, not even yet introduced to either the senate or house? Check. A shortage caused by, well, us? Check. Legislation not yet introduced to either the house or senate...again? Check. And rumors based on a document that has been in circulation for years and was constantly updated by Feinstein? Check. If you wanted to bolster my argument you could have done it in less time. Thanks.
    Rep worthy. I have been asking about this so called legislation for a week now.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yep, it's about like buying all of the generators at Home Depot, and Lowe's for resale in anticipation of an inbound Hurricane-when you already own two.

Then, listing them (NIB) on CL for say-twice the original, retail purchase price. :n00b:

You might think that equipment to be used during power failures is not same thing, but we are talking about profiteers, or price gouging, right?
    I like that analogy, except you can't even find "generators" at this point for a normal retail price. :)

So, I'll tweak your analogy. :) Someone already has 3 generators, and there's no hurricane warnings - just some bad weather. So, they sell one for the market price to someone who wants one bad enough - even if it is an irrational fear.

How many complained of the "irrational exuberance" of the stock market back in the day?

Irrational is as irrational does.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    There have been a talk about price gouging going on, but I think the better word is profiteering. And there's been a whole lot of profiteering off of personal protection.

The things I have seen in the wake of this hysteria is sickening. ARs and Pmags going at ridiculous prices. While I agree that these "tactics" are perfectly legal, and the right of the seller in a supply/demand society, it saddens me to see how much of a community we AREN'T.

Ask yourself why are people buying these items at such crazy prices? They believe that if a gun ban does take place, they will lack the ability to obtain the tools they'll need to adequately protect themselves and their family. A $50 Pmag certainly places a serious hurdle in completing that goal.

Personal protection, that's why I think these people are paying these prices. And if not, then it implies that the things the govt wants to ban, we don't actually need at all. Think about that for a second. If we're so willing to part with our precious firearms and accessories, to turn a profit, why did we buy them in the first place, and why are we so eager to screw those within our community be it with $80 pmag or a $400 lower? Is it ethically wrong to handicap a person financially who wants the means to defend themselves? IMO, and although 100% legal, yes. A seller can turn a profit without scheming their way to a 300% markup "because they can."

If a person was starving or dying of thirst, and you had a food and water you could spare, what would be the going rate on that stuff? A person doesn't have a right to be fed, or provided with water, but they do have the right to defend themselves. Based on all I've seen, I imagine that $100 for a case of water, and $30 for a box of Cheerios wouldn't be too far of leap, for some... and this is for items you don't need.

Ever complained about the Sheiks in the middle east jacking us on oil? Did you guys agree with that? Well someone tell me the difference?

Further, how are we supposed to hold the moral ground when we condone such practices? If the government taxed a $10 pmag to $40, or a $70 lower to $300, we'd be screaming blood murder. Sure the Constitution should prevent such govt actions, but how is the effect any different when the same policy is enacted community-wide by your neighbors and friends. Seems to me, your pocket would be equally punished.

This hysteria has showed me that we're not a community. We are a bunch of people that have no cohesiveness and fail to see the "big picture."

The free market will eventually put this nonsense back in check, but it's too late, we've already been exposed as the frauds we are. I used to actually think that if the govt really did overstep it's authority, we'd have the likeness of mind to hold them in check. Now, I wouldn't trust us, as a group, to walk in a straight line, let alone anything that would actually need our attention.

(Not a Disclaimer)
    If you're jacking people in the classifieds here or someplace else, I'm talking directly to you. It's your legal right, I will not deny, but you are doing harm to the community.

...and I love the 51-59 post vultures that have popped up recently.

(Kut ain't happy)

Part of your grief, I think, stems from lumping everyone into the same group. Sure, as gun owners we may have similar ideals, but you can tell just from posts that we're all individuals. Some may not agree with your philanthropy or what qualifies as such. There are profiteers in every field, in every sector of every market, and as long as there exists governmental regulation or unforeseen force majeure, there will continue to be shortages in certain markets and certain people who know how to game the system. I find it refreshing that so few people out of the given total of 'gun owners' engage in such usury and/or extortion.

I may get dispirited from time to time, but time and again people have surprised me with just how fair and caring they are deep down. Most of them, not all, but so many as to outweigh the vulture-like few.

Just a thought.

Happy New Year to everyone.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

Oh so legislation should only be worried about AFTER its hit the senate and house floor? Maybe you should hold off on any purchases and contacting your representatives until after they vote on it and pass it into law.

You said there was "no shortage", well there is, regardless of the cause.

House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, on Jan. 3rd. (That's tomorrow in case you lost track of time being a smartass) backed by DeGette and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy. Sounds pretty pending to me.

I know every word of the 1994 AWB ban, and every word so far of the released 2013 AWB ban proposal. If you think that its just "updated", you might spend more time reading, and less time talking. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Oh so legislation should only be worried about AFTER its hit the senate and house floor? Maybe you should hold off on any purchases and contacting your representatives until after they vote on it and pass it into law.

You said there was "no shortage", well there is, regardless of the cause.

House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, on Jan. 3rd. (That's tomorrow in case you lost track of time being a smartass) backed by DeGette and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy. Sounds pretty pending to me.

I know every word of the 1994 AWB ban, and every word so far of the released 2013 AWB ban proposal. If you think that its just "updated", you might spend more time reading, and less time talking. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Some key words you have used in your argument. "Will be" "pending". Lots of future tense there. You even acknowledge that we caused the current shortage. Of course there is no actual shortage, just people who bought low and can't get rid of their stock once they triple the price of everything.

The enemy turned us into a bunch of me first, gonna get mine, vultures with the mere threat of legislative action, as if the threat of legislative action hasn't always existed with this administration.

And I see the name-calling has commenced. The last bastion of those who have been defeated in a debate. I don't like the :rolleyes:...instead I will leave you with this.:ar15:

Last edited:

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy

The office is probably closed today, but you can call tomorrow and see if they have enough Junior ATF Agent badges for the mods, and maybe a few for other INGO members interested in restricting free trade between citizens.

jimbolucky13

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    The office is probably closed today, but you can call tomorrow and see if they have enough Junior ATF Agent badges for the mods, and maybe a few for other INGO members interested in restricting free trade between citizens.

It actually has nothing to do with restricting free trade between citizens! It's about following the laws that are in place. I'm willing to bet that you have said, new gun laws won't work, criminals don't follow laws. I guess it's up to you... be a criminal, or follow the law, and keep what little rights you still have. It makes gun owners look like a bunch of fools with double standards(leftist) when people say stuff like that. I personally feel as though if you can't be responsible enough to follow at least the simple laws we have in place, you shouldn't be able to own them period! I'd vote on that for you. I'd make your life suck if they gave me a junior ATF badge.

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Some key words you have used in your argument. "Will be" "pending". Lots of future tense there. You even acknowledge that we caused the current shortage. Of course there is no actual shortage, just people who bought low and can't get rid of their stock once they triple the price of everything.

The enemy turned us into a bunch of me first, gonna get mine, vultures with the mere threat of legislative action, as if the threat of legislative action hasn't always existed with this administration.

And I see the name-calling has commenced. The last bastion of those who have been defeated in a debate. I don't like the :rolleyes:...instead I will leave you with this.:ar15:

I find it adorable when someone thinks they have won a debate simply because they say they have. The fact is, in your original statement you were wrong. You said "no shortage", I say there is a shortage, you say we caused it, I say that doesn't change the fact that there is in fact a shortage, you say you won the debate. I still have to :rolleyes:.

You are whining about profit and greed like you have never reaped the benefits of either. I don't understand how you can live with yourself in this country everyday?

Oh, in case you were wondering Pending = Impending; imminent by definition.

Miller still said it best:

No the little man has the chance to work harder, earn more, and become the big man with deep pockets.

I never though I would live to see the day gun owners would sound like socalists.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I find it adorable when someone thinks they have won a debate simply because they say they have. The fact is, in your original statement you were wrong. You said "no shortage", I say there is a shortage, you say we caused it, I say that doesn't change the fact that there is in fact a shortage, you say you won the debate. I still have to :rolleyes:.

You are whining about profit and greed like you have never reaped the benefits of either. I don't understand how you can live with yourself in this country everyday?

Oh, in case you were wondering Pending = Impending; imminent by definition.

Miller still said it best:

:runaway:

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    It actually has nothing to do with restricting free trade between citizens! It's about following the laws that are in place. I'm willing to bet that you have said, new gun laws won't work, criminals don't follow laws. I guess it's up to you... be a criminal, or follow the law, and keep what little rights you still have. It makes gun owners look like a bunch of fools with double standards(leftist) when people say stuff like that. I personally feel as though if you can't be responsible enough to follow at least the simple laws we have in place, you shouldn't be able to own them period! I'd vote on that for you. I'd make your life suck if they gave me a junior ATF badge.

After reading your post, I have no doubt you'd make everyone's life suck if you had a badge of any type.

The world isn't black and white, and there's a whole lot of gray between following unjust laws and criminality. But I do understand that the simpleton "black and white" way of looking at everything is certainly easier than actually thinking.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    After reading your post, I have no doubt you'd make everyone's life suck if you had a badge of any type.

The world isn't black and white, and there's a whole lot of gray between following unjust laws and criminality. But I do understand that the simpleton "black and white" way of looking at everything is certainly easier than actually thinking.

:yesway:

Top Bottom