• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .......... Especially in areas of study like Psychology, Philosophy, and Psychology, the professors world view becomes the only acceptable truth and if you differ radically you either give up your beliefs and integrity or suffer a failing grade. ...................

Fascism in academia? Say it ain't so!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have a certificate in Political science from the 1970's and my Masters work was in Psych with a minor in counseling. My BA is in Theology. I am working on a Phd in Educational Psych, looking forward to defending my work next spring. Last I looked that qualified as liberal arts. The Mathmatical, Engineering and Business professors had curriculum that really didn't depend on you agreeing with their world view to get a 4.0. All you needed to do was learn the establshed materials. Especially in areas of study like Psychology and Philosophy, the professors personal view becomes the only acceptable truth and if you differ radically you either give up your beliefs and integrity or suffer a failing grade. You are correct, that professors in those subjects can be of any mindset.

I do agree with you that once someone is firmly grounded in Mathmatics and Sciences, the highest calling is in the arts. The true arts are not always what you get in public liberal arts colleges.
    I wasn't questioning your credentials. Just the implication that a professor of a liberal arts course was necessarily liberal. Or the flip side of your statement that egos are associated with liberal arts professors.

Math and science can be, and I would argue should be, a part of any liberals arts curriculum.

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    Okay, I'd like to back this train up a bit and correct what seems to be a major misconception about what liberal arts really means. It has nothing to do with politics, and liberal arts professors can be conservative, Republican, or *gasp* even libertarian.

Liberal arts refers to the course of study over and above the trade/vocation. It harkens back to the ancient Greek and Roman times when it was expected of the free men (citizens) to have a particular skill set and knowledge set to maintain proper participation in society and civic life. It is separated from the slave, servant, or skilled laborer who learned one skill for his bread and butter. A liberal arts education was the highest form of education a person can achieve (still is if it's done right, but that is so very rarely the case anymore).

Well said, 88GT. As a graduate of a liberal arts college (same one as you, if I remember correctly), I'd like to applaud your very excellent explanation and thank you for setting the record straight about the definition of liberal arts institutions.

I think the term "liberal," however used, brings out the pitbull in many of us...myself included. But it's important to know that studying liberal arts does not necessarily make one a liberal in any political sense. Had that been the case, I might now be a regular watcher of MSNBC, working daily to improve my political correctness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a certificate in Political science from the 1970's and my Masters work was in Psych with a minor in counseling. My BA is in Theology. I am working on a Phd in Educational Psych, looking forward to defending my work next spring. Last I looked that qualified as liberal arts. The Mathmatical, Engineering and Business professors had curriculum that really didn't depend on you agreeing with their world view to get a 4.0. All you needed to do was learn the establshed materials. Especially in areas of study like Psychology and Philosophy, the professors personal view becomes the only acceptable truth and if you differ radically you either give up your beliefs and integrity or suffer a failing grade. You are correct, that professors in those subjects can be of any mindset.

I do agree with you that once someone is firmly grounded in Mathmatics and Sciences, the highest calling is in the arts. The true arts are not always what you get in public liberal arts colleges.

Seeing these credentials will make me think a bit more when responding to you in future. Being psycho analyzed on the interwebs will keep me up nights.....:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Seeing these credentials will make me think a bit more when responding to you in future. Being psycho analyzed on the interwebs will keep me up nights.....:)

Don't waste any time worried. I do not make it my habit to "take apart" people who are successfully engaged in life. The motivation of my heart is to help people who have world views that lead them to continually fail to engage and succeed at any level. By correcting falsehoods in their understanding and views, you can teach people not to keep undermining their own success. Hope is both temporal and eternal. Way too many people have neither.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't waste any time worried. I do not make it my habit to "take apart" people who are successfully engaged in life. The motivation of my heart is to help people who have world views that lead them to continually fail to engage and succeed at any level. By correcting falsehoods in their understanding and views, you can teach people not to keep undermining their own success. Hope is both temporal and eternal. Way too many people have neither.

I know so many of those people.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    It would be a much better country if people just minded their own freakin business. you can't pray, you can't smoke, you can't drink, you can't shoot, bla bla bla, shut the f++k up already. I bet if that "professor" runs into a boogie man in an alley somewhere he'll be asking God for protection, Then God would just flick him on the nose. hahaha.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ever since Dawkin's (Richard) starting using that phrase it has become a key component of the Church of Atheism's Doctrine (Blessed be the Saints Dawkins, Darwin and Hitchens, Amen) and it seems to have crept into their Evangelical Creed.......

It was so boring before when one would ask about their Faith and they would just shrug their shoulders and go "I dunno...I believe in nuthin' I guess..." Now days many of the faithful are writing and selling books, putting little Darwin "fish with feet" logos on their cars, having Conventions where they can hang out with other Church members, and spending time on TV shows promoting their Faith...It truly is a Golden Age for those that can look in the mirror each morning and say to themsleves "Yep...I am it...The culmination of the "Big Bang" and eons worth of Evolution" right before they floss and spit in the sink....A true Golden Age of Enlightenment is at hand....

If I go by a County Courhouse and there are no Religious displays am I to assume that the non display is promoting the Church of Atheism? Should I sue?:):

I tried being an Atheist in my twenties but I had to quit when I found out I did not have that kind of blind faith and childlike naivety to pull it off...I really tried but science and history kept dragging me back to the fold of JC the Carpenter....

Oh the irony....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Ever since Dawkin's (Richard) starting using that phrase it has become a key component of the Church of Atheism's Doctrine (Blessed be the Saints Dawkins, Darwin and Hitchens, Amen) and it seems to have crept into their Evangelical Creed.......

It was so boring before when one would ask about their Faith and they would just shrug their shoulders and go "I dunno...I believe in nuthin' I guess..." Now days many of the faithful are writing and selling books, putting little Darwin "fish with feet" logos on their cars, having Conventions where they can hang out with other Church members, and spending time on TV shows promoting their Faith...It truly is a Golden Age for those that can look in the mirror each morning and say to themsleves "Yep...I am it...The culmination of the "Big Bang" and eons worth of Evolution" right before they floss and spit in the sink....A true Golden Age of Enlightenment is at hand....

If I go by a County Courhouse and there are no Religious displays am I to assume that the non display is promoting the Church of Atheism? Should I sue?:):

I tried being an Atheist in my twenties but I had to quit when I found out I did not have that kind of blind faith and childlike naivety to pull it off...I really tried but science and history kept dragging me back to the fold of JC the Carpenter....

If I come by your house and you don't have a Pacers banner up am I to assume that the non display is promoting the Washington Wizards?

I've never tried being an Atheist, but I did try to be a Christian for awhile. Mostly because my wife is one (of the highest order, in my mind) and at the time our little Methodist Church was Pastor'd by a genuinely devout man who had a wonderful gift with sermons.

Eventually, after one thing and another, we stopped going to services at that church. My wife remains the same kind of Christian that she's always been and I've gone back to the same introspective non-belonger (not non-believer) that I was before. That doesn't mean I believe in "nuthin".

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    (of ANY educational institution)FIFY

I have no issue with that thought, Lex. However, if it's a fully private institution that I have no personal stake in, then IMO I have no 'say-so' over what that institution does with it's Staff. But, as taxpayers, we do have say-so over what happens at institutions that get public funding / support, either directly or indirectly. And for those, it's my strong belief that tenure should be prohibited.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Liberals hate christianity. Liberals sympathize with Islam. They call Bundy a domestic terrorist but wont call the group that kidnaps 200 women terrorists. Obama loves the sound of Muslim prayers as he admitted, yet calls christians bitter clingers. Why do they hate christianity? I believe its because it is a threat to gov't. If you rely on God and yourself, you dont need obama. You dont need the gov't to give you stuff, or punish other people you dont like. Islam is nothing more than a tyrannical form of gov't that enslaves the people to its will. This is no different than liberals, they want full control of you. Christianity is about freedom. No wonder this country was so great as founded. These liberal professors are sick, they are flat out sick.

Top Bottom