• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    Does it happen to have a letter code, A, B or C for the property being sold/auctioned? Depending on this, the landlord has a minimum of 120 to pay back the money owed and up to 1 year.

Ask the landlord what's up and look for a new place to live.:twocents:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Depending on when the house was sold at tax sale, you will likely have some time.

This is a fairly common practice. The slumlord will get what he can and never pay taxes.

In a prior job, I used to purchase land and/or homes from tax sales all the time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This ^^^ Except I'm pretty sure it's only one year (unless it varies county to county). The owner has that year to come forward and pay all back taxes/payments etc to county and/or lender, then they must also pay the sale amount that the buyer paid.

The house 2 houses down from me is currently in that 1 year period. It is partially completed, but the new owner hasn't done anything. If he were to finish the house within that year the owner would likely come back, pay the taxes, pay the $73k that it sold for, then sell the house for $250k.

No, title is not transferred. There is no tax deed conveyed to the purchaser until the redemption period has passed without the owner bringing the account current.

The owner must pay 110% or 115% minimum sale amount (which is the totality of the back taxes, fees, penalties, etc) and interest on the difference between the minimum sale amount and the actual purchase price paid by the purchaser.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    A "Notice of expiration of period of redemption" and a "Tax sale certificate" signed by the auditor and the treasurer of the county of Lake.
    This is what I have dated September of 2010.
    I understand the period of redemption to mean the time he has to pay up. This is a notice of the expiration of this period.
    And the reason I went in without a written agreement was because my landlord is my step-dad. Once again like an aluminum bat to the forehead I am reminded of the dangers of doing buisness with family.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Even if the landlord was my real Dad, Mom, or brothers that I truly love, I wouldn't pay them another dime. They may not believe it's my business what they do with the money I give them, but they can take me to the peoples court.

If they came to me and kept me informed of a plan to save their rental, then maybe. But no, I'm not going to pay their loan off if there's nothing in it for me. Taxes, insurance, upkeep, etc., it's not really difficult to manage if you are on top of things.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok guys and gals, I have a question.

I moved in to this house a while back with no rental agreement other than I pay $400 a month, he keeps the place from falling down around my ears.
    I received a letter addressed to occupant that said that the property was sold in a tax sale to "company X" in sept 2010.
    My landlord has not said one word to me about it. Nor has he fixed the gaping hole in my bedroom ceiling that has been there since the summer.

Anyway, given the fact that the property is no longer his is he committing fraud by not telling me and cashing my rent check?

What are my options here?
    I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble. I just want to walk away from this without any problems from either my landlord or "company X" or whoever else.

None of the rest of that crap you posted has any thing to do with your stated agreement.

Quit acting like a two year old looking for an excuse to weasle out of your bills. Live up to your word like an adult.

Buy your own place and move so you don't have to live in a house some one else owns.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Quit acting like a two year old looking for an excuse to weasle out of your bills. Live up to your word like an adult.
    I'm not trying to get out of paying my bills.
    I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble. I just want to walk away from this without any problems from either my landlord or "company X" or whoever else.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This is what I have dated September of 2010.
    I understand the period of redemption to mean the time he has to pay up. This is a notice of the expiration of this period.
    And the reason I went in without a written agreement was because my landlord is my step-dad. Once again like an aluminum bat to the forehead I am reminded of the dangers of doing buisness with family.

The purchaser is fulfilling his obligation per state law to notify the owner and all parties with interest in the property that he intends on pursuing the purchase to completion, culminating in receipt of the Tax Deed conveying ownership and taking possession of the property.

For you, it's simply you're writing on the wall that your current residence is soon to be owned by someone else. You're still legally obligated to make payments to the owner/landlord of the property until (A) ownership changes hands or (B) one of you provides the other with a 30-day notice of intent to quit. After that 30 days, you may cease payments, but you must also vacate the property. "B" is probably the simple solution and the one with the least pain involved for everybody. However, depending on your step-dad and his motivation, you may or may not get way with stopping payments until requested to move out by the purchaser OR move out immediately sans required notice.

Disclaimer: IANAL, but between broker/owner of a real estate company and a landlord/property manager for the last 10 years, I have a fairly good grasp of landlord-tenant law. Indiana's website has it all. I think it's IC 35, but don't hold me to that. I think all tenants should read it to know their rights. I've talked to a lot of applicants for my units and I am never surprised at the crap landlords try to pull, a fair portion of which is not only unethical, but illegal.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Originally Posted by geronimojoe85
    Ok guys and gals, I have a question.

I moved in to this house a while back with no rental agreement other than I pay $400 a month, he keeps the place from falling down around my ears.

It's your post. Your description of what you agreed to when you moved in. No mention of it "falling down around your ears" or any other problem with the house at all. No mentiong of any agreed exemptions that allow you not to pay if he sells the house or if he puts it up for sale or if it's foreclosed.

Other than the house "falling down around your ears" nothing else about it is any of your business or concern. That's what he owes you, a house that's not "falling down around your ears". You've got one or you would have said that instead of reading your mail to us.

What you owe him is the rent, like you argreed, like you posted. Pay it or get out.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Looking at my original post, I also mentioned a hole in my bedroom ceiling. I didn't mention a bunch of other things that are in disrepair. That's not the point. I'm not trying to NOT pay my rent.
    I understand that you get off on being an antagonist, but you're really starting to act like a dick.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Looking at my original post, I also mentioned a hole in my bedroom ceiling. I didn't mention a bunch of other things that are in disrepair. That's not the point. I'm not trying to NOT pay my rent.
    I understand that you get off on being an antagonist, but you're really starting to act like a dick.

Pay the rent or get out. Those are your options. What else do you expect? How am I the dick here?

You are the one who apparently can't comprehend a two sentence rental agreement.

Pay the rent or get out.

You ask, I didn't start a thread asking if any one out there want's to know what I think about their rental agreement. You posted all your business out there on the internet and ask if any one thought you had more options than you asked for when you agreed to rent the place.:dunno: I

f that's a dick or "not cool" then I guess I'm a not cool dick. I pay my bills and live up to my word. I expect others to. Thanks for letting me know how you guys feel about it with out it costing me anything.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I haven't said anything about not paying my rent. I didn't ask you or anyone else what they thought about my rental agreement. I was explaining the situation that I was in and asked you for your opinion. I understand yours to be pay rent or get out. I get it thank you, but it's a little more complicated than that.

I too pay my bills and live up to my word.
    What do you want, a medal or a chest to pin it on?

Top Bottom