• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I've been thinking about getting a crossbow for this same reason. My grandmother has a coyote running around her neighborhood.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Your local tractor supply store (if you have one near) should have cage traps for about $35. It's a two pack and the larger of the two should hold a yote. Or get yourself a foothold trap and learn how to set yote traps.

If I was in your position, I'd just shoot the thing. It was obviously threatening your wife. If you see it again, I'd kill it on site. Much easier to deal with a dead yote and a gunshot than a rabid bite. Just be sure of your backstop when shooting and don't miss. ;)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Joe, nearly all of the folks in my neighborhood are responsible and considerate pet owners. They even carry the little baggies around with them when they walk their dogs along our street (we live on the main drag between the town square and the largest city park) and pick up after them, even though it's not required by law. But there are a few who let their cats outdoors or whose dogs escape from the yard occasionally, and those are the ones I'm concerned about harming. I don't think that signs would help much, as I'm pretty sure that most of them can't read. While we're on the subject, IMO, there's a very special place in Hell reserved for the kind of folks who deliberately poison strays, right next to the one for those who abandon puppies or kittens. That kind of Karma I really don't need.

Repped. I'm not in favor of letting other peoples' animals run wild, but I'd rather not kill the critters out of hand. My dogs are all in a fence, but I've seen them do the damndest things to get out, and I'd rather get them back in one piece if it's all the same to others.

By the same token, if my neighbor's horses get out of their fence and stomp through my yard, I'll be irritated about it, but I'm not going to break out Gramps' deer rifle and start dropping them in piles on the lawn. I'll expect an apology, naturally, but animals don't always stay where you put them. I think it's better to be a little more understanding on that count.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Joe, nearly all of the folks in my neighborhood are responsible and considerate pet owners. They even carry the little baggies around with them when they walk their dogs along our street (we live on the main drag between the town square and the largest city park) and pick up after them, even though it's not required by law. But there are a few who let their cats outdoors or whose dogs escape from the yard occasionally, and those are the ones I'm concerned about harming. I don't think that signs would help much, as I'm pretty sure that most of them can't read. While we're on the subject, IMO, there's a very special place in Hell reserved for the kind of folks who deliberately poison strays, right next to the one for those who abandon puppies or kittens. That kind of Karma I really don't need.

Kill a dog and go to hell, kill a coyote and go to heaven...Interesting, I was unaware God had different standards for different animals.

But absolutely, if the animal's owners are respectful and pick up the feces and it's only an occasional critter that gets out of it's back yard, then I can definitely see your dilemma for not wanting to set a trap.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Does your wife now have adequate means at her disposal to take care of the coyote if he returns when you are unavailable?

I missed that part of the campaign planning.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    AFA1CY: jennybird, if I knew of anyone who had a Havahart live trap large enough for an animal averaging almost 4' long (not counting the tail), over 2' high at the shoulder and weighing beween 45 and 55 lbs I'd call them. If you know of anyone who does and would agree to loan it to me, I'd be much obliged to both of you. The largest size Cabela's lists is only 42"x10"x13", which I doubt would handle an adult coyote.

Do you think there's any possibility of getting DNR interested in doing something now, or will it take a couple of dozen complaints and video of the coyote(s) carrying the carcass of someone's Shih Tzu down the street or mauling somebody's toddler first?

Might try a snare, a lot of coyotes are taken with snares every year.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been thinking about getting a crossbow for this same reason. My grandmother has a coyote running around her neighborhood.

I wouldn't buy one just for that. A bolt action 22 is plenty. They'll all shoot shorts one or two at a time. Don't aim for any head shots you'll just send him howling off, heart lung shots will put a stop to it at any range under 50 yards.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Still "discharging a firearm...", but, if you have a shotgun, and are worried about the close quarters and safety, here's my recipe.
    1 shot-shell, minus shot, plus rock salt= 1 GONE yote.
    If you don't kill him, he'll NEVER be back to your neighborhood!

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    A coyote doesn't have to be rabid to be aggressive towards humans. I lived in San Diego eight years ago, and at that time there were several attacks by coyotes on women and children. If they perceive a weakness, they will take advantage.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    <snip> As far as I've been able to find out so far, Lebanon doesn't have an "Animal Control Officer". There isn't any phone listing and nobody I've talked to yet could tell me for sure whether there's any other department who handles the dog catching sort of thing or not.

Anyway, that's pretty much where things stand right now. I think I'd better just pour myself a medium-stout drink and see what comes to me.

Rural king up in Lafayette has a live trap large enough..
    getting the trap might be cheaper than hiring a removal guy....

once you have it in the trap call the Game warden..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Does your wife now have adequate means at her disposal to take care of the coyote if he returns when you are unavailable?

I missed that part of the campaign planning.

This.

No offense, but I hope your wife learned enough from this incident not to "shoo" off a coyote in the future. I'd rather the yote have a nice meal of kittens than take a bite out of anyone's wife or kids.

Good luck.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A coyote doesn't have to be rabid to be aggressive towards humans. I lived in San Diego eight years ago, and at that time there were several attacks by coyotes on women and children. If they perceive a weakness, they will take advantage.

True. Coyotes being afraid of humans is a myth, and I doubt there is a faster animal around. Spooky quick, smart. Shoot on sight if possible.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I was a younger man and lived on the family farm we raised turkeys for the local Co-Op. We also had problems with wild dogs getting to our turkeys.

My cousin and I spent many a night in the woods waiting for the dogs to attack. Needless to say we got the varmits with our 270s. Maybe a bit overkill, but kill our rifles did. No more problems.

We stopped raising turkeys two years later.

truckie166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    A few months ago the PD came to the FD to teach us on how to treat stun gun paitents. While doing this they said that if they have a dog comming at them they like to taze them. If you can get your hands on a stun gun it has a short range but the yote will probally never come back after the shocking experience

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A few months ago the PD came to the FD to teach us on how to treat stun gun paitents. While doing this they said that if they have a dog comming at them they like to taze them. If you can get your hands on a stun gun it has a short range but the yote will probally never come back after the shocking experience

Man, that's a great idea. Once you had it down it would be easy to kill it with out endangering any one.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Another recipe involves dumping the shot out of a shot shell and inserting an aluminum shafted arrow. The report is not as loud and the arrow will go all the way through the body unless it strikes bone. So make sure you have a back stop and don't try a long shot. Also with the 4th coming up there are alot of fireworks going off that will camoflauge a gunshot to some extent. Or bait and a homemade claymoore.

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    I know back home we had a problem with coyotes mating with feral dogs. The result was a vicious and fearless animal that we shot on site. You might check and see if any wildlife rehab centers are in your area. They will often have traps, and might let you borrow one. Just don't mention any plans for what to do to the bugger after the capture.....;)

Top Bottom