• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Was there a thread here at some point with suggestions on how to handle private sales of handguns and long guns? What are appropriate precautions to talk if you're going to sell a firearm to someone else?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    State law says you cannot knowingly sell to someone "prohibited from owning a firearm". There is no requirement to check or ask for ID or anything.

I bought a gun off a guy recently I handed him cash he handed me the firearm, we shook hands and off we went. Thats the way it should be.

Some people want bill of sales or to see ID or whatever. I personally won't give my personal information out to some stranger... why give it out to some yahoo who knows you just bought a gun? Asking for trouble IMO.

Anyway if asked I might 'flash' my ID and LTCH, but no way I'm letting them actually read it or copy the info down.

If someone wants the bill of sale or whatever, it's your call if you want to deal with them. I know I've seen one guy here who wants a copy of your DL when he sells something. No law requires it, just what he (and occasionally others) wants. Free country if he wants to do it that way.

Anyway, if you are asking about protocol on dealing with selling someone a gun in a non gun show setting, meet in a public place and treat it as you would giving anyone lots of cash and with firearms involved. Don't meet them in the alley at 3am ;)

In reality as a private seller, getting a bill of sale or the buyers info removes ZERO liability from you. Provided you didn't know s/he was going to use it in a crime or couldn't own it you are in the clear. "I sold it to a white male, mid 30's, said his name was John, brown hair about 6 foot" is just as good as "John Doe, age 35 of 1234 Sample Lane, Anytown, IN 46321".

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    "I sold it to a white male, mid 30's, said his name was John, brown hair about 6 foot" is just as good as "John Doe, age 35 of 1234 Sample Lane, Anytown, IN 46321".

Especially when you can point to his username on a website or PMs with selling details. Police are up on their game :).

I am a fan of the no bill of sale, but sellers can set their rules. Meet in a public place (Wal-Mart parking lot, etc.) and make sure you have what was agreed upon.

:patriot:

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've sold more than a few.

All I ask to see is their "Valid" Indiana Permit to Carry and a Drivers License.

I note the info and date of sale.

If they say no to showing their permit and DL the gun sells to the next person in line.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I usually ask the seller to give me a receipt including the serial number of the gun. I do that to protect me in the event that the gun would come up as stolen somewhere down the line. I believe that the receipt plus money paid for said firearm would be proof enough that I believed that I lawfully possessed the firearm and keep me out of problems with my LTCH.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I ask for ID to show Indiana residency and proof of age, and I ask for a receipt for my records. That's it.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    for teh one rifle i bought off a stranger, i offered to do a bill of sale, we both put our names on it. IMO it gives me a name to pass along to the cops if it ever became nessery.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    No Bill of Sale, ID, and LTCH = no sale, buying or selling. Both parties sign and DL # along with LTCH # are hand written on the BoS.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What is included in a bill of sale? I've never purchased a firearm outside of a store before.

Anything the other person wants. I once had some nut job expect me to let him write down my name, DOB, address, dl # AND wanted to write down my carry license info as well.

I've never been able to figure out why anyone would turn that information over to a random stranger (or some guy off the internet). A few months later when they have their ID stolen and start getting collections phone calls or there house is broken into and all their guns stolen they seem flummoxed as to how it happened. :n00b:

Everyone is different as you can tell from this thread. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

For me, I operate within the law. No more. If someone wants my info, they can find another buyer/seller. As has been already covered, writing down all their info or none of it does nothing to add to or remove your liability.

Top Bottom