• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Just wanted to ask a question say you buy firearm from someone online or someone you don't personally know is there any place to run the numbers to see if its stolen, some people have cop buddys that do but what about everyone else.Or do you just take sellers word that it's legit whats your opinion.?

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Thanks ,most of my gun purchases have been through FFL.s,just wondered how people researched their buys . I wouldn't want to purchase a weapon then get checked by the law an find out it's not legit.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Was thinking if you get pulled over cop wants to see weapon,or you're using it for personal protection an have to use it or gun gets stolen an you report it an it comes back as stolen .I guess i like the peace of mind to know that every things legal.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    Just because you purchase a gun through a FFL does not mean that it is not stollen. The form that you fill out does not run a check on the serial number against stolen guns . At least that is my understanding . I personally try to only buy new guns ,or In a FTP purchase of a used gun I always ask to see the person's drivers license and write the information down . At least if it is stollen I can send the law to the person that I purchased it from .

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just because you purchase a gun through a FFL does not mean that it is not stollen. The form that you fill out does not run a check on the serial number against stolen guns . At least that is my understanding . I personally try to only buy new guns ,or In a FTP purchase of a used gun I always ask to see the person's drivers license and write the information down . At least if it is stollen I can send the law to the person that I purchased it from .

Exactly.

Best OP can probably hope for is recording the transaction when you purchase the firearm and keeping the previous communications which led up to it, which clearly show you have the intent of only purchasing a "legal" (non-stolen) firearm.

Although most people don't really want that recorded, it is within your private rights to do so. If you are party to the communications, in IN you may record without other party consent.

I don't buy used guns generally, because I usually want the warranty protection that comes with buying a new gun, and also because, well, let's face it... a lot of people sell guns that they don't like because the gun(s) isn't reliable.

However, if it's a glock - you're basically all good. HAHAHAHAHA. I'm a Glock slut.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't want to purchase _________ then get checked by the law an find out it's not legit.

FIFY.

Why should gun be any different from anything else? And tell me, how often does ________ get "checked by the law"?

Was thinking if you get pulled over cop wants to see weapon,or you're using it for personal protection an have to use it or gun gets stolen an you report it an it comes back as stolen .I guess i like the peace of mind to know that every things legal.
    Then you them him (or her) NO. Show the pink slip and all firearm inquires must halt.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just wanted to ask a question say you buy firearm from someone online or someone you don't personally know is there any place to run the numbers to see if its stolen, some people have cop buddys that do but what about everyone else.Or do you just take sellers word that it's legit whats your opinion.?

What do you think is the difference whether you go through an FFL or not? Last I knew there was no "database" that an FFL dealer could (or would) use to determine if a firearm was stolen! Unless the guy looks or acts shady or is trying to sell you a $400 gun for $200, doubt I would think twice about buying!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks ,most of my gun purchases have been through FFL.s,just wondered how people researched their buys . I wouldn't want to purchase a weapon then get checked by the law an find out it's not legit.

What do you think is the difference whether you go through an FFL or not? Last I knew there was no "database" that an FFL dealer could (or would) use to determine if a firearm was stolen! Unless the guy looks or acts shady or is trying to sell you a $400 gun for $200, doubt I would think twice about buying!

As stated, FFL transfer is a background check. Not a check of the gun's history of the seller's background, etc.

So, I would say follow the same principles you would when dealing with any kind of face to face private purchase and you should be good.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Why are you worried about a cop checking your weapon if you get stopped? IF you decide to inform the offer (not a legal obligation in Indiana), all you have to do is provide your LTCH. After you provide a valid LTCH, all questions about your firearm cease. IF they insist on looking/checking your weapon, the officer is than involved in an illegal search and seizure. The ONLY way they can take your weapon is if they have PC that you have commited or are about to commit a crime. At least that is my understanding. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom