• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I just spoke with the IN State Police Firearms reg. person. He basically said that IN does not recognized Ill F.O.I.D card as a legal proof of ownership. So that even unloaded, cased & not accesssable maybe cause for citation.

He went on to say it could be up to the an LEOs discreation and MAYBE it would be a non-issue.

So after getting a solid MAYBE-COULDBE-MAYBE....there's no way I'm driving
    firearms or ammo to an FFL in Indianna. ;)

With a little more reseach it seems my Anti-Gun State is actually a little closer to the Consitution that your Pro-Gun State in this particual instence:

Our state reguires, "When purchasing a handgun in Illinois there is a 72-hour waiting period after the sale before the buyer can take possession; the waiting period for a long gun is24 hrs."

In 2011 in the case of People v Holmes, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that a valid Indiana handgun carry permit was a legal substitute for an Illinois FOID for a Indiana traveler transporting a handgun in Illinois.

I believe understand that a IN CCW holder can (after) our waiting period come here pick up weapons & ammo from a private citizen and "Transport" them per our reg. of unloaded , cased, not accessible.

Now it all gets down to $$$ is it cheaper to ship 4 long guns, 2 handguns & 7000rds of ammo or to drive his car 340 mi. to pick-up? And who is willing to do what to make the deal happen. :D

you can drive the ammo, we have no restrictions on this. You can not transport the handguns.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Frank,

Just to put a finer point on this (because of the title of your thread), if you lived here in Indiana you could just sell your guns to your buyer.

It's because you're in another state (and Federal law comes into play) that they have to go through an FFL.

I just didn't want you to get the idea that private sales here have to go through a dealer, leo, or anyone else. Private sales in Indiana have comparitively few restrictions.

OLDBULL57

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Frank,

It's because you're in another state (and Federal law comes into play) that they have to go through an FFL.

I just didn't want you to get the idea that private sales here have to go through a dealer, leo, or anyone else. Private sales in Indiana have comparitively few restrictions.

Thanks.

I was aware of the FFL interstate issue. Actually, private sales are pretty straight forward in Ill. too.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    All that only applies for the handguns, which must be done through an FFl. There are restrictions on long guns or ammunition.
    Heck, it's legal (although maybe not advisable) to carry a loaded long arm on the seat next to you.
    My opinion? ship the guns, drive the ammo.

Top Bottom