• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, I am wanting to plant some bush/shrub/hedge around my back yard as privacy/fencing/security/food/sticks/whatever.
    My preference woud be to have some food producing bushes (berries). I am not Mr. green thumb. What do you suggest that grows well. Also,I would prefer something that does not get crazy out of hand. I would be planting close to an existing neighbors fence. I can trim and all that, just trying to get good ideas. Thanks!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Rose bushes and Raspberries go together quite well. Like the same environment and require about the same kind of care. You won't get a lot of privacy but you will get additional security. I ringed our detached garage with both, eat berries all the time.

Very easy to keep both under control and in defined beds.

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    no edible fruit that I know of but a hedge rose is excellent, just takes a few decades to become full and super thick and painful. If you let it grow for a century or 2 you'll have a great anti-vehicle bush too, just ask the guys from WWII using various verietys and planting/trimming/training them you can have a almost solid barrier

In reality though I agree with Zoub, Roses and Raspberries, throw some fast growing hedges a few ft behind them, works as a 2x shield and when fully grown looks nice.

Last edited:

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My parents are in NE IN and have wild raspberry(not sure of the variety) that grow like weeds and are nearly impossible to kill. They fruit a pretty decent amount and have pretty good thorns on them but are not the most good looking plants. You could try combining them with a hedge like RipkinC suggested.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Sounds like you want a fedge! A food hedge.
    I haven't listened to that episode of TSP yet. I'm guessing great info there; highly recommended.

Blueberries are a good idea (I love 'em) but consider you'll need more acidic soil to keep them large, lush, & successful. Brambles (raspberries, blackberries, etc.) are excellent as well, though they die back pretty quickly. Roses for rose hips, heck yea! More vitamin C in rose hips than oranges.
    One drawback to keep in mind with these types of bush/shrubs is in the winter your privacy is dramatically reduced.

Locust trees (honey & black) are fast growing. Black locust is superb fire wood (dense and very rot resistance); thorny as well... and nitrogen fixers in your soil!! Super companions for any fruit shrub/trees. But these are trees and perhaps not the best solution up tight against your neighborly fence.

What about American Holly?? Grows in our zone. Hedge it up, super dense, EVERGREEN (retaining privacy year round), sharp thorny foliage, and the leaves can be used as a tea substitute. And who cares if the birds eat the berries unlike your precious blues,rasps, & blackberries because we don't eat 'em! Just a thought.
    :twocents:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I will listen to the podcast. I just recently subscribed and heard the 'fedge' term last week, but thought I would get an Indiana opinion, since I do not live in TX.

Top Bottom