• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    So i know posted this before but who is up for a veteran shoot/meet in greet? I think i would be awesome to keep the brotherhood alive and have some good friends some of whom will know what combat deployments are like and to just generally bull**** with? anyone up?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Good for you, T-Bird. My first four years in Sam's Green Dream (September 1966 - August 1970) were as a member of the Agency. Almost a year in training (BCT at FLW and 05K AIT at Devens - following what seemed like a never-ending "hold" waiting for school), one year on beautiful Shemya ("The Black Pearl of the Aleutians"), and two years at Asmara. Four of the best years of my life, and I'll always be proud to have been ASA! :patriot:

P.S. Soft-pedal that bit about Pleiku. As we all know, there was no ASA in Viet Nam! ;)

***Ri-i-ight! When I was in Nam, I was with the 330th RRC, an outstanding and heralded company. 'Cause we all know, the ASA did not go to Viet Nam. :)

Thanks for the rep!

Last edited:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    USMC 85-91 6332
    VMA-211 Wake Island Avengers
    VMA-214 Blacksheep
    Stationed MCAS El Toro most time in states
    West pac with VMA-211 in 87
    West pac with 214 in 88

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    US Army 11B '05-'07. Reoccurring ankle injury got me booted out right after the orders to Iraq dropped. Still don't know what's worse going over there or not going over there and losing friends that you might have been able to save. Spent time in Ft. Lewis Washington and Vilseck, Germany.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    US Army 11B '05-'07. Reoccurring ankle injury got me booted out right after the orders to Iraq dropped. Still don't know what's worse going over there or not going over there and losing friends that you might have been able to save. Spent time in Ft. Lewis Washington and Vilseck, Germany.

Since when have 11B been at Vilseck?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We replaced Big Red One in '06 after they reflagged us to 2nd Cav. Was 1/5 wearing the Electric Strawberry before that. Same guys, same job, just flagged as Cav.

Damn, I'm getting old. Was just 11M, DATs, and support when I was there. Please tell me you ate gyros in Sorgoff and hung out at the Happy Rock in Sulzbach.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Every gyro I've had in the states tastes like dog food compared to the ones in Sorgoff. I spent many a night in the Happy Rock.

I cant think of one that Ive ever had here in the states, tbh. I think you've probably spent much more time in Happy Rock than I did. Been there a few times, but had some issues with a couple of the regulars when they drank so ended up going other places more often.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Had a buddy in the Big Red One over in Germany and all he talked about was Happy Rock. Dang, was only there a few months and never got the chance to see really ANY of the country, other then ranges and the field.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Every gyro I've had in the states tastes like dog food compared to the ones in Sorgoff. I spent many a night in the Happy Rock.

Had this in Toulon, France back in the 80's. Back then we called them smush, or smash sandwich's. They were made right on a street corner, from a vendor with something like a hot dog stand with a waffle iron, or something like a George Foreman grill. (that's where I think old George stoled the idea and put his name on it).

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    ***Ri-i-ight! When I was in Nam, I was with the 330th RRC, an outstanding and heralded company. 'Cause we all know, the ASA did not go to Viet Nam. :)

Thanks for the rep!

You bet! :yesway:

(And, of course, while in Nam you were Signal Corps, doing research into natural electronic phenomena. ;) )

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I cant think of one that Ive ever had here in the states, tbh. I think you've probably spent much more time in Happy Rock than I did. Been there a few times, but had some issues with a couple of the regulars when they drank so ended up going other places more often.

The skinheads?

MPzulu6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Chesterton
    US Army
    19K (M1 crew member)
    Bco 1/70Ar(Formally 1/40Ar) Ft. Polk,LA 86-90
    95B (Military Police) believe it is now 31B
    534th MP Co CS Ft. Clayton, Panama 90-91
    HHC LEA K9 section Ft. Clayton, Panama 91-93
    NTC MP Co K9 section Ft. Irwin, Ca 94-95

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    US Army
    19K (M1 crew member)
    Bco 1/70Ar(Formally 1/40Ar) Ft. Polk,LA 86-90
    95B (Military Police) believe it is now 31B
    534th MP Co CS Ft. Clayton, Panama 90-91
    HHC LEA K9 section Ft. Clayton, Panama 91-93
    NTC MP Co K9 section Ft. Irwin, Ca 94-95

Yes, the MP Corps went from 95B to 31B around 2001-2003. I was out and coming back in, i had to get used to the new MOS number.

Top Bottom