• ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hey all,
    I'm hoping to start reloading in the spring, and have a couple of questions.
    First: Where to get primers? I got some in Indy last fall, but of course not enough. If you order them on backorder at Cabelas, do you eventually get them and how long would it take?

Also, there are I think at least three different brands that make them. Are they all the same, or is one better than the next? Do they have different uses?

Last, I seem to remember one of our members having a reloading class at one point. Any chance that would happen again?
    Thanks!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    indygunworks does a reloading class in indy. depending on where you are somone on here may be close enough for you to sit in with them somtime.

the bad think about ordering primers is you have to pay a extra 28ish dollars for hasmat fee. its unually cheaper to buy them local depending on the amount you want to buy. if you are buying stuff online ive always had the best luck with midwayusa.com

what caliber are you reloading? that will determine the kind of primer you need. the first thing you will need to invest in are some reloading manuals. you have to be carful trusting internet data since you may be getting data from somone who has never reloaded and not know what they are talking about

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I'm in Northwest Indiana (Dyer), a good 3 hours from most parts of Indianapolis. But I'd drive that far in a heartbeat to learn how to reload or to go to a good gun show!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my guess is someone will chime in to lend a hand. one thing you will think you can do without that you cant is a bullet puller. when i started i said "im going to be so slow and carful ill never need one". i needed one in the first week

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Blythe's in Valpo usually has primers on hand. Last time I was there the had several thousand of each size for $39.99 a thousand, Win, CCI, & Rem if I remember right.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    my guess is someone will chime in to lend a hand. one thing you will think you can do without that you cant is a bullet puller. when i started i said "im going to be so slow and carful ill never need one". i needed one in the first week
    AMEN BROTHER. I needed one on the first try. Quinetics Corporation makes an excellent one since 1952, and can be found at gander mtn or cabelas. Nice christmas present for any handloader ($15.00) and if you are ask what all the bang'ins about just say your building something smok'in hot.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana

When I saw this, being the neophyte that I am, I thought "why would you need to pull the bullet if you are reloading?"

I guess it is because you after you crimped it you determined you did something wrong. Can someone please elaborate on what kind of things might have gone wrong to make you want to disassemble your newly reloaded cartridge?

By the way I went to Quinetics Corporation website. Their puller looks like they followed the 'KISS' principle. Pretty cool.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Blythe's in Valpo usually has primers on hand. Last time I was there the had several thousand of each size for $39.99 a thousand, Win, CCI, & Rem if I remember right.

What is the difference between the three brands? Do they all work the same or is one better than the other?

I live closer to Blythe's in Griffith but I'd drive to Valpo easy for some primers!

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I am in NW IN I can not offer a class as I am in the middle of a remodel but if you need help getting your equipment setup and a hand in getting started I am available.

Gonna cost you at least one Pepsi though, I might be a reloading whore but I ain't cheap...:D

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What is the difference between the three brands? Do they all work the same or is one better than the other?

I live closer to Blythe's in Griffith but I'd drive to Valpo easy for some primers!

I honestly don't know if there is a difference. But I have been told to stick with the brand that you use to work up you load, so there must be a chance of them being different. I am sure someone here knows more than I do about it.

I try to use Winchester all the time just to be sure.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    When I saw this, being the neophyte that I am, I thought "why would you need to pull the bullet if you are reloading?"

I guess it is because you after you crimped it you determined you did something wrong. Can someone please elaborate on what kind of things might have gone wrong to make you want to disassemble your newly reloaded cartridge?

By the way I went to Quinetics Corporation website. Their puller looks like they followed the 'KISS' principle. Pretty cool.
    DID OR DID'NT I syndrome. Distractions happen, it does'nt hurt to pull it to be sure. Also if you load 50-100 rounds, go to the range and they shoot like c--p,pull,inspect, and start over. I had a friend once went into my reloading room, started to mess around with my new loads for testing. The powders weights were to close in weight, so he got to meet MR.BULLETPULLER.

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI

Some reloaders have their preference on brand. I do not they all go bang "usually" seems to always be a dud.
    Buy what you can find, I found Wolf brand and they seem fine.
    After you have reloaded for a while and experament "use different brands to the specs in the data book" You may find that 1 seems better than another. I have reloaded for almost 20 years and used most probaly all brands and my only prerence is if there is all available I buy Winchester, but since they are to come by I use what I find.

Best of luck, double check powder drop and if in doubt dump it and go it again.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i am not brand specific at all... on my shelves right now are wolf federal cci winchester and a couple other brands.... they all go bang, and unless i am reloading for high accuracy, i dont even care if i mix and match primers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Federal primers are the easiest to ignite and folks with action jobs (especially revolvers) gravitate towards them. For highpower rifle most folks like Remington Benchrest and CCI Benchrest. If it is for any other pistol shooting, they all are fine. I like Winchester primers for my Dillon 550 and 650. They seem to feed the best through the priming systems.

These days with primers so hard to find and retailers demanding prices close to double what they were BO (before Obama), we can't be too choosey. All the primer brands that I've used are good. I can report that Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and Wolf all work. Other brands like Magtech and Fiocchi probably work just as well.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I am in NW IN I can not offer a class as I am in the middle of a remodel but if you need help getting your equipment setup and a hand in getting started I am available.

Gonna cost you at least one Pepsi though, I might be a reloading whore but I ain't cheap...:D

Thanks, John. I get my bonus check from work in January and I'm thinking of getting that Dillon RL550B. I've heard it's pretty good, though I washed out of mechanics school in college and I'm a little worried that a neophyte like me might not be able to figure it out. I'll send you a PM when I get a little closer!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Can someone please elaborate on what kind of things might have gone wrong to make you want to disassemble your newly reloaded cartridge?
    quote]

i cant even begin to rember what all ive need it for there will always be times you want to double cheak somthing or you loaded 50 rds the same and arn't satisfied with the first few.

Top Bottom