• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    This may be a dumb question, but do load manuals tell you if you need to use large or small pistol primers? My manual is on its way, but I want to get other components such as primers in the meantime. I am planning to start by loading 9mm and .38/.357.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, most manuals will tell you what primer...

In your case, for 9mm, .38 Special and .357, you will use standard small primers... For .357, a few select powders MIGHT call for magnum small pistol primers....

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks. I appreciate the answer. All my equipment is on the way. I am just anxious to get started.

I see you're from the Fort also.... For probably the last 10-15 years I have pretty much went to Winchester primers since they are for both standard/magnum loads.... I used to use CCI's but switched ONLY because I found Winchester's to be more commonly in stock in the Fort Wayne area...

You can easily identify whether you need large or small simply by looking at your primer pocket. ... Determining whether you need standard or magnum will be based on what powder you choose to go with.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Winchester primers aren't easy to find either. Those are what I use as well and always have really until now.
    I have had really good luck with the Sellier & Beloit primers so far but YEMV.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, so yesterday I was at Profire and bought a box of small pistol primers and large pistol primers.

They handed me the boxes, I paid and left without really looking closely at what they handed me.

When I got home, I looked closer. One was a box of Magtech No 1 1/2 small pistol and revolver primers. Check.

The other is a box of Sellier & Bellot 4,4 SR BOXER primers. I am thinking that SR stands for small rifle. Did they hand me the wrong box?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It pays to DOUBLE check BEFORE cash exchange..

Looks like you will have a box of SR primers to trade for LP..

It happens, heck I still buy 20ga. ammo from people who thought they picked up 12ga. @ Wally World..NO-they will NOT take it back..HA HA..

You will have no problem trading/selling your SR primers-They are used in AR loads, thus MOST requested...Bill.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What powders can you use the standard primers in 357 mag? Are they the slower loads?

Go by your manuals listed data.

In the MAJORITY of my manuals, they typically list using the standard primer for most popular powders until you get to H110/296.

Manuals will vary though... For my hotter loads, I have always liked 2400. I have (2) manuals from Speer where back in the late 80's, they called for magnum primers with 2400, but have since changed to using the standard primer in their newer manuals.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    What powders can you use the standard primers in 357 mag? Are they the slower loads?

If you mean slower powders, then I would say sometimes. If you have a nice, long rifle barrel you can take advantage of it and use a slower powder to get all that nice velocity out of a slower powder. If you are loading for a snub nosed revolver that isn't the case and instead you wind up wasting a lot of slow powder in that huge flash you see when the bullet comes out. So it comes down to what you are loading for for the most part. Magnum type powders do tend to be a touch slower burning though but you aren't always using a magnum type powder for a .357 magnum despite the name.

I know this adds confusion now but it won't be long before you'll understand all of this information.
    You can use Magnum primeers with any powder really. You just need to adjust the charge a bit for the added oomph you're getting from the primer itself.

So instead, tell us what you're loading for before asking a aquestion like this so we can better answer you. :)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Warthog I have been considering getting a 357mag. Before making purchases like to do some research.

The reason I asked is it's something that I guess just got it stuck in my head from 10 to 15 years back. That magnums used mag primers.

By slower loads just thought you was referring to the slower velocites not those crazy high 357 mag velocities.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Warthog I have been considering getting a 357mag. Before making purchases like to do some research.

The reason I asked is it's something that I guess just got it stuck in my head from 10 to 15 years back. That magnums used mag primers.

By slower loads just thought you was referring to the slower velocites not those crazy high 357 mag velocities.

Just shoot .38 special out of a .357 revolver instead of trying to reduce a .357 load. The recoil is mild and accuracy is very good. It's the centerfire equivalent to shooting a .22 revolver.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I just happened to stumble across these guys this evening. I don't know anything about them, but it appears that they have various primers in stock.

Primers

What is a decent price to pay for primers? I guess that is two questions. What is a decent price now? And what is the highest price that you are willing to pay?

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    In the Fort Wayne area, your best bet is probably checking at either Tomlinson's in 'Busco, Hillside in Roanoke, or checking at the local shows...

I have seen primers available at most of the local shows in the area. I am just not sure if the price are in line with where it should be. I am planning to make a trip down to Hillside before long since the weather is warming up, so I will definitely check in with them.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County

As I am sure these others have gotten to, a magnum caliber doesn't always mean super velocity and power. They can be loaded down and even with a magnum primer, they can still be loaded light if you back the charge off to take the primer into account. A magnum primer makes a rather larger & hotter flash that makes a larger powder charge easier to light off completely for an even burn. Otherwise the powder may not all get burned up fast enough within the length of the barrel. That's what happens with those big muzzle flashes, that's wasted powder burning up all at once as it hit the air and has a lot of room for the gasses to expand all at once.

You use a slower powder and more of it with a Magnum primer. You use a regular primer with faster powders. This is of course, a very general statement. You, as a hand loader, are able to load your rounds to whatever feel you like. I certainly don't fire my .357 mags at teeth breaking recoil velocities with my hand loads. I tend to download a lot of magnum rounds for practice and use the same weight bullet/boolit as my SD rounds. I have found over time that you can learn to shoot your gun with low recoil rounds that have the same weight far better. Then, God forbid, you do need to fire in self defense, you will still hit as well as you did with the low recoil stuff.

does that answer or am I still off?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    As I am sure these others have gotten to, a magnum caliber doesn't always mean super velocity and power. They can be loaded down and even with a magnum primer, they can still be loaded light if you back the charge off to take the primer into account. A magnum primer makes a rather larger & hotter flash that makes a larger powder charge easier to light off completely for an even burn. Otherwise the powder may not all get burned up fast enough within the length of the barrel. That's what happens with those big muzzle flashes, that's wasted powder burning up all at once as it hit the air and has a lot of room for the gasses to expand all at once.

You use a slower powder and more of it with a Magnum primer. You use a regular primer with faster powders. This is of course, a very general statement. You, as a hand loader, are able to load your rounds to whatever feel you like. I certainly don't fire my .357 mags at teeth breaking recoil velocities with my hand loads. I tend to download a lot of magnum rounds for practice and use the same weight bullet/boolit as my SD rounds. I have found over time that you can learn to shoot your gun with low recoil rounds that have the same weight far better. Then, God forbid, you do need to fire in self defense, you will still hit as well as you did with the low recoil stuff.

does that answer or am I still off?

I was thinking it was the case capacity that needed the mag primers to light the powder charge. I see now that it is more of the powder selection than case capacity.

I certainly don't fire my .357 mags at teeth breaking recoil velocities with my hand loads.

Those teeth jarring loads are not for me, shot some of them on Friday. I do like the feel of the Ruger GP100's and /or SP 101's. One of those is what has me thinking about a 357mag.

Top Bottom