• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phantom 23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Ive got about 500 winchester large magnum pistol primers that are approx 8 to 10 years old. Does anyone know if primers "go bad".

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    If their stored in a decently dry, not to hot or cold place they should be good. My oldest primers are 16 years old, cci small rifle magnum, ive only got about 900 left of the original box of 1000, heh.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My Father stopped reloading pistol ammo some time around 1980. He kept stuff in a basement (dry floors but high humidity so it was less than ideal storage).
    I loaded and shot the last of his primers (mainly cci, small and large) and powder left over from back then this year.
    No issues. Can't tell any difference between the old and new except it seems like the newer cci's might seat a little easier.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Nay, they are too old, not worth anything....I'll take them off your hands if you want to sell them. :D And a big :welcome: to INGO!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Go for it..

Those primers will probably out live you!!
    You can usually kind of read the primers by the boxes that they are in. If the cardboard trays that they are in are "Powdered" away, there may be some issues with the primers.

I have bought some old primers that the boxes were still intact, they always shot well..Bill.

Top Bottom